T-Mobile in LA?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
October 9, 2004 5:15:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in that
area?

Thanks!

More about : mobile

October 9, 2004 10:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

terrible coverage on sunset bl from 405 thru bh. i read somewhere that were
new cell sites on ucla campus but don't remember which companies.
apparently tmobile does have sites south of ucla

> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
> comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in
> that area?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:24:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12. Get very
far off the Interstates and you don't get much coverage.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

P.S. Was that LA or L.A. you were interested in? ;-)

"JD" <jdaly3@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
> comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in
that
> area?
>
> Thanks!

October 9, 2004 9:04:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004, at 01:15:51 [GMT GMT] (11:15:51 Saturday, 9 October
2004 where I live) "JD" wrote:

> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
> comments on phone coverage as well.

Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?

I usually get Cingular all over LA County & Orange County, if not my phone
roams on to AT & T, but cannot get T-Mobile (at least the operator logo)
anywhere in these counties.

(I am roaming on a Tel$tra Australia GSM sim, hope this helps.)

--
I idiot-proof my programs, but along comes a bigger idiot.
Anonymous

>Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?

I heard that they were sharing or going to be sharing cell sites with either
Cingular or AT&T. I guess it doesn't make muc difference now that they've
become the same company. One person told me that his T-Mobile coverage was
better in the San Fernando Valley and West Los Angeles than it had been with
AT&T. But he had been on AT&T's analog network and everyone else I know
complains about T-Mobile's coverage. My AT&T GSM service works very well
throughout Los Angeles, including Brentwood, Beverly Hills and Westwood near
UCLA's campus. There are a few minor no-service areas that I hope will
dissappear as the Cingular finishes merging the networks, my father's Cingular
service is near flawless.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 9:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:04:31 +1000, John
Phillips<flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004, at 01:15:51 [GMT GMT] (11:15:51 Saturday, 9 October
>2004 where I live) "JD" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
>> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
>> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
>> comments on phone coverage as well.
>
>Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?
>
>I usually get Cingular all over LA County & Orange County, if not my phone
>roams on to AT & T, but cannot get T-Mobile (at least the operator logo)
>anywhere in these counties.

That will change and the infrastructure will become TM's in that area
once the AT&T Wireless/Cingular buyout is completed.

>(I am roaming on a Tel$tra Australia GSM sim, hope this helps.)
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 4:27:53 AM

>Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
>good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12.

The original poster is talking about Los Angeles, California. ;-)
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 8:30:54 AM

>How about Nextel? Which is best in that
>area?

If you want cellular phone service, you do not want NEXTEL. They are an SMR and
don't offer cellular service.

They are a 2-way walkie talkie company.

--
John S.
October 10, 2004 10:48:23 AM

"Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
> The original poster is talking about Los Angeles, California. ;-)

Ah. L. A. CA, not LA ;-)
Point being, that most people on the West Coast tend to forget that there is
a place on the South Coast with the official USPS abreviation "LA"

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
October 10, 2004 5:15:34 PM

JD wrote:
> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
> comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in that
> area?

Coverage is pretty good all over Los Angeles / SoCal area for T-Mobile.
I've never had problems in the areas you mention. Don't know about Nextel.
October 12, 2004 7:53:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:24:06 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
<DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

>Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
>good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12. Get very
>far off the Interstates and you don't get much coverage.

Err, Donald I believe the LA that's being referred to is Los Angeles
rather than Louisiana :)