T-Mobile in LA?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in that
area?

Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about mobile
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    terrible coverage on sunset bl from 405 thru bh. i read somewhere that were
    new cell sites on ucla campus but don't remember which companies.
    apparently tmobile does have sites south of ucla

    > Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
    > Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
    > doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
    > comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in
    > that area?
    >
    > Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
    good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12. Get very
    far off the Interstates and you don't get much coverage.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    P.S. Was that LA or L.A. you were interested in? ;-)

    "JD" <jdaly3@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
    > Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
    > doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
    > comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in
    that
    > area?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004, at 01:15:51 [GMT GMT] (11:15:51 Saturday, 9 October
    2004 where I live) "JD" wrote:

    > Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
    > Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
    > doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
    > comments on phone coverage as well.

    Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?

    I usually get Cingular all over LA County & Orange County, if not my phone
    roams on to AT & T, but cannot get T-Mobile (at least the operator logo)
    anywhere in these counties.

    (I am roaming on a Tel$tra Australia GSM sim, hope this helps.)

    --
    I idiot-proof my programs, but along comes a bigger idiot.

    >Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?

    I heard that they were sharing or going to be sharing cell sites with either
    Cingular or AT&T. I guess it doesn't make muc difference now that they've
    become the same company. One person told me that his T-Mobile coverage was
    better in the San Fernando Valley and West Los Angeles than it had been with
    AT&T. But he had been on AT&T's analog network and everyone else I know
    complains about T-Mobile's coverage. My AT&T GSM service works very well
    throughout Los Angeles, including Brentwood, Beverly Hills and Westwood near
    UCLA's campus. There are a few minor no-service areas that I hope will
    dissappear as the Cingular finishes merging the networks, my father's Cingular
    service is near flawless.
    Steve Grauman
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:04:31 +1000, John
    Phillips<flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Oct 2004, at 01:15:51 [GMT GMT] (11:15:51 Saturday, 9 October
    >2004 where I live) "JD" wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
    >> Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
    >> doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
    >> comments on phone coverage as well.
    >
    >Don't they share towers in LA with Cingular? 1900 GSM?
    >
    >I usually get Cingular all over LA County & Orange County, if not my phone
    >roams on to AT & T, but cannot get T-Mobile (at least the operator logo)
    >anywhere in these counties.

    That will change and the infrastructure will become TM's in that area
    once the AT&T Wireless/Cingular buyout is completed.

    >(I am roaming on a Tel$tra Australia GSM sim, hope this helps.)

    >Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
    >good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12.

    The original poster is talking about Los Angeles, California. ;-)
    Steve Grauman

    >How about Nextel? Which is best in that
    >area?

    If you want cellular phone service, you do not want NEXTEL. They are an SMR and
    don't offer cellular service.

    They are a 2-way walkie talkie company.

    --
    John S.

    "Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
    > The original poster is talking about Los Angeles, California. ;-)

    Ah. L. A. CA, not LA ;-)
    Point being, that most people on the West Coast tend to forget that there is
    a place on the South Coast with the official USPS abreviation "LA"

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    JD wrote:
    > Can anyone comment on how good T-Mobile's signal is in the LA area? West
    > Hollywood...Westwood? I'm mainly talking about blackberry coverage, which
    > doesn't need as strong a signal as phone coverage, but would appreciate
    > comments on phone coverage as well. How about Nextel? Which is best in that
    > area?

    Coverage is pretty good all over Los Angeles / SoCal area for T-Mobile.
    I've never had problems in the areas you mention. Don't know about Nextel.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:24:06 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    >Not sure where Hollywood and Westwood are, but in LA T-Mobile has pretty
    >good coverage in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and along I-10 and I-12. Get very
    >far off the Interstates and you don't get much coverage.

    Err, Donald I believe the LA that's being referred to is Los Angeles
    rather than Louisiana :)

GSM Mobile Phones