$700-900 gaming PC with emphasis on upgradability, first time build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2012 6:57:43 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Adjustable. I don't quite have the money for this now, but if I can figure out exactly what this would all cost me I can figure out how long it'll take me to pull the cash together.

Budget Range: $700-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, student use, Photoshop, video editing

Parts Not Required: Screen, keyboard, mouse, sound system

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever has the best prices and is the most dependable.

Parts Preferences: Very new to all of this, and very welcome to suggestions. No limits on brands.

Overclocking: Most likely not. I would prefer to gain more experience with these things before undertaking something that risks damaging my system in any way.

SLI or Crossfire: If you fine fellows think that would be sensible for the build, so be it. I doubt it though.

Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: I don't care about the case, for one. I would like to build something that was very capable in terms of the parts that cannot be easily upgraded later, CPU, motherboard, etc. I need a capable video card to begin with, certainly, but it doesn't need to be something crazy, so long as I can easily upgrade it later. Might change my mind about the video card. RAM is important, but not essential to begin with. If I have to spend less on RAM now in order to get a better CPU or video card, so be it.

I am as new to all of this as it gets, but I am determined to put together an awesome first build, and if anyone here can help me with that it would be greatly appreciated.

More about : 700 900 gaming emphasis upgradability time build

a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2012 9:16:42 PM

For $700-900 you can build a very nice system, although if you are a student, perhaps you should rethink your priorities:

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, student use, Photoshop, video editing

LOL

Okay so, gaming is important, which means a better video card, but that will also improve Photoshop and other academic uses. Any particular video games that are important? Tom's has an excellent graphic card review every month HERE that will allow you to get as much graphic card as you can afford on top of the rest of the computer price.
Your video card would best be An ATI Radeon, the best that you can afford.

For gaming/Photoshop/other uses I would go with an i3-2120. I buy most everything from Newegg, although occasionally get something from Amazon.

Memory, I have used G.Skill Ripjaws X for the last 8-10 builds, and usually go with ASUS Z68 motherboards now, although ASRock and MSI have some nice boards.

a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2012 11:33:37 PM
!