GTX 550 Ti physX and GTX 570 SLi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
hello, I'm wondering how much power a PSU I need to run a GTX 550 Ti as a PhysX processor and a GTX 570 as a main card in SLI mode, I currently have a Thermaltake TR2 850W PSU, just need to know if its not enough. it has 69A on the +12V rail!

Solution

Your power supply doesn't have to be SLI certified, and the one you have is a pretty good one. I'm sure it has all the cables you need. The GTX 550 doesn't require a lot of power.

To be clear, with a single 570 or 580 with a dedicated GTX 550 as a PhysX card, you are NOT doing SLI. SLI is two of the same cards working in tandem giving you double the performance. With a single...

Good point, except I don't think its two 570's, just one. In any event, the rule of thumb for the PhysX performance hit with a dedicated card vs. a single card is roughly 25%.

I'm wondering about which games are going to be played because a lot of people think they need a dedicated PhysX card, and then realize they don't play any PhysX games.

DM186

Splendid
I tell everybody this when I see that they are thinking about using the GTX 550 Ti's.
I use two of them in sli but I am very dissapointed in them Heck a GTX 460 is beter than them. If you can aford the GTX 570's then go for it. Just don't do the 550's. The GTX 560 Ti's are good. Two of them would be better than one GTX 570 or 580. Good luck

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Currently I am wanting to do Arkham City, but the other problem is the power supply isn't SLI certified, nor does it have (At least I dont think it does) enough wires to support that. I was thinking of going with a 580, but I see that the driver's are having some issues and I dont need that headache, especially when I'm spending just under 500 bucks.

Your power supply doesn't have to be SLI certified, and the one you have is a pretty good one. I'm sure it has all the cables you need. The GTX 550 doesn't require a lot of power.

To be clear, with a single 570 or 580 with a dedicated GTX 550 as a PhysX card, you are NOT doing SLI. SLI is two of the same cards working in tandem giving you double the performance. With a single 570/580 you are still just doing single card graphics. The extra dedicated PhysX card is for PhysX only. Even a cheap motherboard should be able to support a single card with a single PhysX card. It does not have to be SLI certified and you do not need a SLI bridge. All the same, a single GTX 570 or 580 alone is enough for Batman Arkham City with full details and full PhysX enabled.

Solution

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

thanks for the info. Also, I have this sucker hooked up to a 25" 1920 x1080 TV that is capable of "technically" 60Hz, though it has been known to hit 75, I would like to have all the eye candy on and STILL have over 30-40 FPS. On a side note, I am planning on pairing it with a AMD Phenom 2 X4 975 3.6 GHz Black edition quad. (Motherboard is an ASUS M4A78LT-M). I would like to spend as little as possible, yet have enough power to run most games. Presently I play RIFT on Ultra with Supersampling on 1920 x1080 and manage about 25-21 FPS! not bad, but you notice the tearing at times. And I believe the 570 OC editions are alittle bit slower then a 580, tho not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.