1090t overclocking tips

bigwils1

Honorable
May 5, 2012
hello there does anybody have any tips on overclocking my 1090t black edition i would like to hit 4ghz or even 4.1ghz i have a watercooling system installed aswell if this helps.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
What motherboard do you have? You can have all the cooling you want if the mobo is low end you are limited.

If your chip is a good specimen you can hit that 4GHz mark with relative ease and possibly not even a voltage boost.

Ensure you have Prime95 installed this is needed to test stability, also something that lets you monitor the CPU temps.

Enter your BIOS disable cool and quiet and C1E and Turbo core/Core boost and any other automatic/auto fiddling crap that your board may have on.

Ok now for the fancy bits dont shoot straight for 4.0GHz lets find something stable and easy first these settings normally do well for 3.8GHz

Bump Multiplier to 19 (with the FSB @200 this gives us 3800/3.8GHz)

Now find the NB Frequency (NB = Northbridge) push this up to 2600MHz

Its vital you increase the NB otherwise there will be little stability 2600 on the NB should get you all the way to 4GHZ but it may require a little more bumping (note cheap crappy motherboards will overheat rapidly with high NB settings)

save these settings boot to windows and run prime95 for a minimum of 30 minutes preferably more watch your temps. If this runs fine and the temps are good simply go back to the BIOS and push the multiplier up again and repeat the testing phases do this until you reach the settings you want.

Few other things.

If Prime95 fails you may need more on the NB (dont go over 2800 though unless you have dedicated cooling on the NB)

If there is still a lack of stability your going to need to fiddle with voltages. Remember SMALL increases.

When over-clocking, be sure to take manual control of your voltages. When left on *Auto* they tend to over-volt, and drive up temperatures.

Around 4GHz with the IMC/NB in the 2400-2600MHz range, your Thuban will be a GFLOP'ing monster.

cmi86

Distinguished
It's all about getting that NB speed/voltage when OC'ing a Thuban CPU. Set the NB to 2600mHz and the NB voltage to about 1.35. If your BIOS has an option to adjust the "CPU-NB Link" Make sure to set that to the same specs.

EO-stepping Thubans use a different low-capacitance gating than other PhIIs -- it's essentially why they could put 6 cores in a 4 core voltage envelop. The memory controller generally cannot take the volt levels of the Denebs.

Long term, I wouldn't be comfortable with NB VID @ 1.35v on a Thuban. Something like 1.25v should handle 25-2600MHz and help keep temps down.

cmi86

Distinguished

I have mine set at 1.35 for 2600, anything less was unstable. My NB temps never exceed 45c. I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the board and case airflow.

Double checking 1.25 with a couple other little tweaks right now just to see if you may be correct !

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
45c at load on a midrange board, volted at 2.35 and clocked at 2600...... I'm reasonably sure your temp monitoring is wrong unless you have a 80mm fan zip-tied there or something.

bigwils1

Honorable
May 5, 2012
cheers mate yes i do have a cheap mb its a gigabyte only cos £55 so could this stop me from trying to hit 4ghz then?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
No you may well hit 4GHZ just cheaper boards often fall a little short what model is the board? When i said a cheapo board I meant some £30 asus or msi junk, £55 on a Gbyte you likely have something decent

TRENDING THREADS