Boots of Speed Not Working in BG1Tutu

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 1:49:10 AM

I tried to spawn the Boots of Speed with the CLUAConsole command (Coudn't
wait until chapter 4 for Cloakwood mines). I used BOOT01. I assign it to my
characters and the haste icon shows up in the portraits but it doesn't work.
If I assign it to a mod NPC (Finch) it works fine.

How do I solve this? I really only need this so I don't have to spend long
time in towns running around selling and buying things from different shops.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
June 15, 2005 1:49:11 AM

"Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
news:D 8nflu$k04$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

> I tried to spawn the Boots of Speed with the CLUAConsole
> command (Coudn't wait until chapter 4 for Cloakwood mines).
> I used BOOT01. I assign it to my characters and the haste
> icon shows up in the portraits but it doesn't work. If I
> assign it to a mod NPC (Finch) it works fine.
>
> How do I solve this? I really only need this so I don't
> have to spend long time in towns running around selling and
> buying things from different shops.

Is the char. wearing Ring of Freedom? If so, that's the reason.

BTW, please fix your sig separator. It's now "dash" "dash" (--).
It should be "dash" "dash" "space" (-- ).

Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:49:11 AM

me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
> news:D 8nflu$k04$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > I tried to spawn the Boots of Speed with the CLUAConsole
> > command (Coudn't wait until chapter 4 for Cloakwood mines).
> > I used BOOT01. I assign it to my characters and the haste
> > icon shows up in the portraits but it doesn't work. If I
> > assign it to a mod NPC (Finch) it works fine.
> >
> > How do I solve this? I really only need this so I don't
> > have to spend long time in towns running around selling and
> > buying things from different shops.
> >

> Is the char. wearing Ring of Freedom? If so, that's the reason.

Spider's Bane (the two-handed sword) will also do this.

The fix is to take off the boots and the item that gives you 'freedom'.
You can tell you have such an item if you have two white wavy lines in
your char portrait. Put on the boots then re-equip the other item, and
you will remain hasted.

MSH
June 15, 2005 3:41:27 AM

me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
> news:D 8nflu$k04$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
>> I tried to spawn the Boots of Speed with the CLUAConsole
>> command (Coudn't wait until chapter 4 for Cloakwood mines).
>> I used BOOT01. I assign it to my characters and the haste
>> icon shows up in the portraits but it doesn't work. If I
>> assign it to a mod NPC (Finch) it works fine.
>>
>> How do I solve this? I really only need this so I don't
>> have to spend long time in towns running around selling and
>> buying things from different shops.
>>

> Is the char. wearing Ring of Freedom? If so, that's the reason.
>
> BTW, please fix your sig separator. It's now "dash" "dash" (--).
> It should be "dash" "dash" "space" (-- ).

I have no magical rings or anything that would inhibit movement. It's
bizarre.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
June 15, 2005 5:38:01 AM

mshaslam@gmail.com wrote in

> me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
>> "Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
>> in news:D 8nflu$k04$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>>
>> > I tried to spawn the Boots of Speed with the CLUAConsole
>> > command (Coudn't wait until chapter 4 for Cloakwood
>> > mines). I used BOOT01. I assign it to my characters and
>> > the haste icon shows up in the portraits but it doesn't
>> > work. If I assign it to a mod NPC (Finch) it works fine.
>> >
>> > How do I solve this? I really only need this so I don't
>> > have to spend long time in towns running around selling
>> > and buying things from different shops.
>> >

>> Is the char. wearing Ring of Freedom? If so, that's the
>> reason.
>
> Spider's Bane (the two-handed sword) will also do this.
>
> The fix is to take off the boots and the item that gives
> you 'freedom'.
> You can tell you have such an item if you have two white
> wavy lines in
> your char portrait. Put on the boots then re-equip the
> other item, and you will remain hasted.
>
> MSH

Also, some potions can "break" the boots (until the potion "runs
out").

FWIW, playing "plain" (non-tutu) TOSC, Speed Boots "broke"
several times, always in DT, 3rd dungeon (Greater Wyv's). The PC
(233) could not keep up w/ many monsters at the same time. That
could be "fixed" by quit & reload.

Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:12:09 PM

me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
>>> Is the char. wearing Ring of Freedom? If so, that's the
>>> reason.
>>
>> Spider's Bane (the two-handed sword) will also do this.
>>
>> The fix is to take off the boots and the item that gives
>> you 'freedom'.
>> You can tell you have such an item if you have two white
>> wavy lines in
>> your char portrait. Put on the boots then re-equip the
>> other item, and you will remain hasted.
>>
>> MSH
>
> Also, some potions can "break" the boots (until the potion "runs
> out").
>
> FWIW, playing "plain" (non-tutu) TOSC, Speed Boots "broke"
> several times, always in DT, 3rd dungeon (Greater Wyv's). The PC
> (233) could not keep up w/ many monsters at the same time. That
> could be "fixed" by quit & reload.

It doesn't matter which NPC I put it on, it's the same for all. Besides, I'm
role-playing and not roll-playing and thus have practically no magical items
or weapons at all except for a few Arrow +2's and the Ring of Wizardry
(which none of my characters can use). None of my characters are under the
influence of any status effects.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
June 15, 2005 9:12:10 PM

Burning_Ranger wrote:

>>>Spider's Bane (the two-handed sword) will also do this.
>>>
>>>The fix is to take off the boots and the item that gives
>>>you 'freedom'.
>>> You can tell you have such an item if you have two white
>>> wavy lines in
>>>your char portrait. Put on the boots then re-equip the
>>>other item, and you will remain hasted.
>>>
>>>MSH
>>
>>Also, some potions can "break" the boots (until the potion "runs
>>out").
>>
>>FWIW, playing "plain" (non-tutu) TOSC, Speed Boots "broke"
>>several times, always in DT, 3rd dungeon (Greater Wyv's). The PC
>>(233) could not keep up w/ many monsters at the same time. That
>>could be "fixed" by quit & reload.
>

> It doesn't matter which NPC I put it on, it's the same for all. Besides, I'm
> role-playing and not roll-playing and thus have practically no magical items
> or weapons at all except for a few Arrow +2's and the Ring of Wizardry
> (which none of my characters can use). None of my characters are under the
> influence of any status effects.
>
> --
>
> Burning_Ranger
>
> To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk

try using _boot01
IIRC most of the Tutu items get an _ prepended to the name.
June 15, 2005 10:23:02 PM

"Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
news:D 8pjq6$u62$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

>> -snip-
>> FWIW, playing "plain" (non-tutu) TOSC, Speed Boots "broke"
>> several times, always in DT, 3rd dungeon (Greater Wyv's).
>> The PC (233) could not keep up w/ many monsters at the
>> same time. That could be "fixed" by quit & reload.
>

> It doesn't matter which NPC I put it on, it's the same for
> all. Besides, I'm role-playing and not roll-playing and
> thus have practically no magical items or weapons at all
> except for a few Arrow +2's and the Ring of Wizardry (which
> none of my characters can use). None of my characters are
> under the influence of any status effects.

Clarification: the "PC (233)" means personal computer w/ 233 MHz
processor. Sorry about that.

Me confused: does "role-playing" mean that magical items and/or
weapons are not allowed? (Never mind what "roll-playing" means.)

Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:26:22 AM

me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
> news:D 8pjq6$u62$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
>>> -snip-
>>> FWIW, playing "plain" (non-tutu) TOSC, Speed Boots "broke"
>>> several times, always in DT, 3rd dungeon (Greater Wyv's).
>>> The PC (233) could not keep up w/ many monsters at the
>>> same time. That could be "fixed" by quit & reload.
>>

>> It doesn't matter which NPC I put it on, it's the same for
>> all. Besides, I'm role-playing and not roll-playing and
>> thus have practically no magical items or weapons at all
>> except for a few Arrow +2's and the Ring of Wizardry (which
>> none of my characters can use). None of my characters are
>> under the influence of any status effects.
>>

> Clarification: the "PC (233)" means personal computer w/ 233 MHz
> processor. Sorry about that.
>
> Me confused: does "role-playing" mean that magical items and/or
> weapons are not allowed? (Never mind what "roll-playing" means.)

AFAIK Role playing is playing the game to appreciate the story and
characters, not using engine exploits to get past difficult bosses, playing
in the spirit of whatever alignment your characters are (so no good/evil
mixed parties, no stealing or killing if party is good and vice versa). Roll
playing is playing to finish the game quickly and getting the most powerful
weapons and having a protagonist with lots of 18's in stats. What I was
trying to say is that since I've played the game over many times I know
where all the powerful magical items are but am purposely avoiding to rush
out and get them.

Anyway...I will try that _boot01 code the other person mentioned (again),
though I did already try it before and if remembering correctly it didn't
work. I thought perhaps that there might be a flag or something that is set
when you get the boots from Cloakwood that enables their use. I tried to
CLUA MoveToArea to Cloakwood to get the boots as one would get them in the
normal course of the game, but the damn game crashes :(

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
June 16, 2005 4:26:23 AM

"Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in
news:D 8qd91$kmk$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

> me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
>> "Burning_Ranger" <aziz@nospamformeaziz1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
>> in news:D 8pjq6$u62$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:
>> -snip-
>> Me confused: does "role-playing" mean that magical items
>> and/or weapons are not allowed? (Never mind what
>> "roll-playing" means.)

> AFAIK Role playing is playing the game to appreciate the
> story and characters, not using engine exploits to get past
> difficult bosses, playing in the spirit of whatever
> alignment your characters are (so no good/evil mixed
> parties, no stealing or killing if party is good and vice
> versa). Roll playing is playing to finish the game quickly
> and getting the most powerful weapons and having a
> protagonist with lots of 18's in stats. What I was trying
> to say is that since I've played the game over many times I
> know where all the powerful magical items are but am
> purposely avoiding to rush out and get them.
>
> Anyway...I will try that _boot01 code the other person
> mentioned (again), though I did already try it before and
> if remembering correctly it didn't work. I thought perhaps
> that there might be a flag or something that is set when
> you get the boots from Cloakwood that enables their use. I
> tried to CLUA MoveToArea to Cloakwood to get the boots as
> one would get them in the normal course of the game, but
> the damn game crashes :(

FWIW, there is no flag in non-tutu BG. Tested with a 2nd pair
cheated in (using two pairs turned out to be more confusing than
helpful).

Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:39:11 PM

<me@tadyatam.invalid> wrote in message

> Also, some potions can "break" the boots (until the potion "runs
> out").

or til death do they part?

I think it's possible for a potion of freedom to permanently foul
up the boots of speed. In my current game (non-tutu) I equipped
Khalid with the boots of speed while he was under the effect of
a potion of freedom and he didn't receive the boosted rate of
speed. I then gave them to Minsc since they worked. I later tried
re-equipping them on Khalid and they still had no effect. Later,
after Khalid had been resurrected I tried them and at this point they
worked. I figured I was on a roll at that point.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:12:56 PM

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:p Whse.62477$6g3.53885@tornado.texas.rr.com...

> <me@tadyatam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Also, some potions can "break" the boots (until the potion "runs
>> out").
>
> or til death do they part?
>
> I think it's possible for a potion of freedom to permanently foul
> up the boots of speed. In my current game (non-tutu) I equipped
> Khalid with the boots of speed while he was under the effect of
> a potion of freedom and he didn't receive the boosted rate of
> speed. I then gave them to Minsc since they worked. I later tried
> re-equipping them on Khalid and they still had no effect. Later,
> after Khalid had been resurrected I tried them and at this point they
> worked. I figured I was on a roll at that point.

If you are in such a situation, you might want to check the
'affects' tab in ShadowKeeper for the (N)PC. This section
of SK shows all kinds of flags that affect the (N)PC. Every
flag has a expiration time attached to it: the game time that
indicates when the flag must disappear. Sometimes a flag
'lives' beyond its time and stays active. By deleting it by hand,
you remove the effects that the flag stands for from the (N)PC.

To find out which flags you need to delete, save the game
twice: one save with the NPC without Potion of Freedom,
and another with the potion. Compare both saved games
in SK (you can open multiple save games in different sub
windows).

Wim
!