Sign in with
Your question

WAP or Wireless Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 22, 2005 1:39:42 AM

I already have a 4 port wired linksys router running in the house. split off to a few pc's, and the pc i mainly use i have a switch in my room, that goes to another pc and soon to hold xbox 360... question is this. What's the difference if i just throw a WAP on my switch.. or buy a new wireless Router. other then price. Is there any other main differences?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

More about : wap wireless router

June 22, 2005 8:18:16 PM

If you have space or power use concerns.
I actually think it is better to have a separate ap, then it is easier to mount it up somewhere.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
June 23, 2005 11:49:39 AM

Nope. Other than perhaps what folken mentioned and an AP is a more flexible wireless device. Typically they can act as bridges and workgroup bridges where AP/Routers cannot however that doesn't really sound like that would benefit you. If your happy with your current router and don't mind paying a little extra for a dedicated AP I'd say just buy the AP instead of replacing your current hardware. The disclaimer is if you can make a few bucks selling your existing router and like saving a few more by buying a Router/AP then it might be worth your while to do that.
June 25, 2005 10:55:19 PM

well thanks for all the input, but i think the smartest thing for me to do is just add a AP to the switch im my room, My room is very high in the house and right next to a window that over looks my whole backyard where as the current router is on the main floor on the other side of the house.. and the laptop on wireless will be used mainly outise pretty much right outside my window.

Thanks again

Rob423

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
!