Can i not put a thermal compound on my cpu?

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

Apparently mayo is a viable alternative :eek:

erikalikesfire

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, if you look at butter, toothpaste, and cream cheese, they all become 2-3° worse after 12 hours. It's kind of funny to see which compounds are worse than lipstick, but when you get down to it, you need a real thermal compound.

If money's an issue, maybe think of it this way: $5 on some Arctic Silver has a great price/performance increase return, compared to spending $50 on ram, or $100 on a SSD, or $200 on a new CPU.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Yes,I am using it without thermal paste from approximately 2 years.

Problems which occurred while

In summers:-
The only possible effect of not using it is that it may not result in heat dissipation properly and letting your system heat up fast unusually.
Sometimes system gets automatic restarts to protect the processor from overheating on load.

In Winters:-
The effect of auto-restarting of system is minimum.

The thermal compound will give you a few degrees difference but it is really worth it.

Are you experiencing any problems?

It is better to use the thermal compound rather then avoiding it.

Of all the stupid............why would anyone not spend a couple of bucks and a couple of minutes to put on some thermal compound (it doesn't have to be a premium brand, cheap brands will do the job for the vast majority of folks) and prevent the multitude of problems that are inherently going to be created by an overheating processor?
Some people's logic completely escapes me.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

Mostly just this. Why would you possibly not use it?

It's even available from radioshack if you have a problem ordering it...

In most cases the thermal compound is pre-applied to the heat sink of the CPU cooler.
(the gray patches in the picture)

21L.jpg