Sign in with
Your question

Budget build vs. going all out build

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2012 9:42:16 PM

price is not really a concern for me, however my uses for a PC usually wane after the first 6 months of ownership. i plan to play BF3 exclusively during that time; after that i will still play but not as much. so price may not be a concern but there is certainly a discussion to be had about the practicality of someone like me spending a lot on a new rig. so i am exploring 2 options:

#1: i have a radeon 5770 and a 500w PS that is in my current build (e6750 OC'd to 3.4). my considerations were to buy an i3-2120, lga1155 board (obviously), an SSD, new RAM, and then build in my current case and utilize the 5770 graphics (OC'd, 1920x1080 res) and PS that i already have. this would be about a $500 build and i have room for ivy bridge down the road with the lga1155 board.

#2 the alternative is wait for ivy bridge and upgrade the graphics to a 560/570 and build something in the $1,000 range.

now some questions:
1. if i went with #1, would the 5770 allow me to play BF3 at a pretty high level of detail, or is that card lacking quite a bit? hopefully the build here would be better than my OC'd e6750 build by a good margin, even with the same card.
2. if i HAD to upgrade graphics, is option #1 still a reasonable option otherwise?
3.is the SSD a good option for the build? maybe i haven't done enough research, but it seems like the jury is still out on whether or not they are worth the $$.
4. for option #1, here are the parts i have/would buy, please let me know if these are good options and if they can all fit my case:

SSD: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT12...

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platfor...

MOBO: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z68XP-UD3-1155-Intel-...

CASE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : budget build build

January 22, 2012 10:27:48 PM

Another option would be to upgrade to one of the few boards that are already IB capable, and go ahead and grab a 2500k, which is a great processor, and should be good for a few years of gaming.

If money isn't really an object, and amd is your card brand of choice, I'd go ahead and grab a 7970.It's the best thing out right now, and while it won't always be that way, should give you at least 2 years at least of being able to play any game on ultra settings on a single monitor.

A 5770 would probably not be the best card to run BF3, the recommended card by the makers is a 6950, so a 5770 probably wont push anything over low to mid settings with any kind of decent resolution.

As for SSD, it basically boils down to whether or not you are willing to spend the money to drastically reduce your windows/game load times.
January 22, 2012 10:52:51 PM

If you dont mind waiting, you should wait for the ivy bridges. But even then, you would need to buy a graphics card. If you are thinking of playing BF3, the 7970 would be the best choice. But either way, your going to need to get it. Or you can get the GTX 570, which can run well, but not as good as a 7970. Both can run ultra, but 7970 will have 60+ fps.

My recommendation? Just get a GTX 570 or 560 ti 448 as it will play most games with i5 2400.

i5 2400
GTX 570
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 (With 3.0x16 slot so if you want to upgrade GPU later on)
Case
DVD Drive
Crucial M4 SSD 64gb/128gb
Kingston HyperX 8gb 1333 Ram
Antec ECO 620w $60
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm $70

Because the board is LGA1155, if you want to upgrade the CPU when the Ivy processors comes out, thats the only thing you need to change.
Related resources
January 22, 2012 11:34:10 PM

thanks for the responses. i think maybe the "no budget limits" and the "i don't need that much" comments were contradictory a bit. i would like to play bf3 well, not necessarily better than any other computer. and knowing my past habits, i will probably only play for a few months and then shelve the use of the PC to an extent. so i'm trying to balance performance-per-dollar with my probable computer usage levels. i could build a $3,000 system, but i just don't think that is practical for my application.

so either way it sounds like you guys are nixing the first option? after doing some more research, i agree i would need another video card. what about adding the 6950 in the first build i mentioned? the benefit of the first build is keeping my case and my power supply. heck, it might even be more worthwhile to swap the SSD up in the list with the 6950 to keep the first build still under $500. thoughts?
January 23, 2012 2:37:04 AM

A 6950 and 2130 should be able to play the game pretty well, though i would spend another 40 bucks and get the i5 2400( even on sale on newegg right now for 179), and that would kind of balance out the system.

As for the SSD, if you just put games on it, you could probably get away with a 20 or 30g and not spend much. Personally, I'd go for something bigger, like a 64, and next time you get the hankering to play a new game for a few months, you wont have to upgrade that part then :-)
January 23, 2012 2:11:52 PM

thanks for the response. do you think the sandy bridge's will drop much in price when ivy comes out? might be worth waiting to buy SB if that is the case. either way i like the 2400 idea and the 6950. i may just skip the SSD now, as that is an easy upgrade down the road (minus the PITA to reinstall W7).

one last question--all the stuff i posted, will that fit in my current case?
January 23, 2012 2:19:30 PM

Honestly I'm not too sure about the SB's dropping in price, and frankly, I don't see the IB as being a big deal when it does come out. The last couple of CPU releases have left a lot to be desired. The middle of the pack SB's are still the best there is for gaming, and the 2500k is all you need for anything, and unless they come out with some huge improvement, it's probably gonna stay that way.
!