speculation: Apple wants to make its own media-hub game co..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

keep in mind the following is pure speculation:

based on this article I just read:
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT072405191325 (go ahead,
READ IT)

it sounds like Apple & Steve Jobs is threatened by Playstation3 ~ Xbox 360,
forcing Apple to concider making an entertainment platform of their own.

The alliances between Sony IBM Toshiba (the CELL processor for Playstation3)
and IBM-Microsoft (the Xenon processor for Xbox 360) leaves both Apple and
Intel out in cold as far as the next generation game consoles that will
attempt to take over the living room, and take profits away from the
personal computer markets ( PC and MAC)

Therefore, with Apple's new partnership with INTEL, Apple might seek to
create a new digital media-hub entertainment platform ( a game console of
some kind ) using a new multi-core processor architecture from Intel -- a
processor that is not unlike CELL, but one that is better than Cell.
Obviously if this happens, such a processor would be at least a half of a
processor-generation beyond Cell, if not a full generation beyond Cell. -
therefore, a potential Apple console would arrive in time to do battle with
Playstation4 and Xbox3, or perhaps strike in the middle of the coming
console cycle, somewhere inbetween Xbox2/PS3 (2005-2006) and Xbox3/PS4
(next decade) which could means an Apple console later *this* decade.

Apple's rejection of the Cell processor might be because Apple does not want
to use a Sony-IBM processor for Apple's potential new entertainment
platform. If Apple did use CELL, it would make Apple a second rate
partner in the STI alliance, something that Apple cannot stomache.
therefore, it makes sense for Apple to work with its new partner, Intel, on
a new processor architecture of their own, to one day challenge Sony and
Microsoft.

even though this is basicly speculation and guesswork, that is, Apple making
a new game console / entertainment platform to take on Sony and MS,
remember that back in 1999, there were rumblings that Microsoft was going to
enter the living room entertainment / game console market with a system of
their own. at that time, it was pure speculation & rumor. but within 2
years, the Microsoft Xbox was on the market.

If Apple does try, it would not be their first attempt. The Apple Pippin
was their half-hearted attempt at a digital entertainment game platform,
which failed miserably. but Microsoft has shown that it is possible to
enter the videogame console industry as a new player. I believe Apple
will follow in Microsoft's footsteps within the next 3 to 6 years.

Highlander wrote:
> If Apple does try, it would not be their first attempt. The Apple
> Pippin was their half-hearted attempt at a digital entertainment game
> platform, which failed miserably. but Microsoft has shown that it
> is possible to enter the videogame console industry as a new player.

I'm glad to hear it and I hope it's true (simply because the extra
competition can only be good for gamers, not because I care about Apple) but
you can't compare their pockets with Microsoft's so their chances of
succeeding without going broke are incredibly slim at best.

BuckFush wrote:
> Highlander wrote:
>
>>If Apple does try, it would not be their first attempt. The Apple
>>Pippin was their half-hearted attempt at a digital entertainment game
>>platform, which failed miserably. but Microsoft has shown that it
>>is possible to enter the videogame console industry as a new player.
>

> I'm glad to hear it and I hope it's true (simply because the extra
> competition can only be good for gamers, not because I care about Apple) but
> you can't compare their pockets with Microsoft's so their chances of
> succeeding without going broke are incredibly slim at best.

I concur.

Moreover, I don't think it would be a wise strategy to jump into the
console market without having some in-house (or strongly allied)
development dedicated to your new system. I don't see Apple screwing
with that after the pounding they took with Claris, nor do I see who
they could bring in that would have the requisite skills and loyalty.

Still, it's nice to fantasize about a dark horse riding in to support an
Apple console, and likely give Linux/BSD game development a shot in the
arm as well.

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> BuckFush wrote:
>> Highlander wrote:
>>
>>>If Apple does try, it would not be their first attempt. The Apple
>>>Pippin was their half-hearted attempt at a digital entertainment game
>>>platform, which failed miserably. but Microsoft has shown that it
>>>is possible to enter the videogame console industry as a new player.
>>

>> I'm glad to hear it and I hope it's true (simply because the extra
>> competition can only be good for gamers, not because I care about Apple)
>> but
>> you can't compare their pockets with Microsoft's so their chances of
>> succeeding without going broke are incredibly slim at best.
>
> I concur.
>
> Moreover, I don't think it would be a wise strategy to jump into the
> console market without having some in-house (or strongly allied)
> development dedicated to your new system. I don't see Apple screwing with
> that after the pounding they took with Claris, nor do I see who they could
> bring in that would have the requisite skills and loyalty.
>
> Still, it's nice to fantasize about a dark horse riding in to support an
> Apple console, and likely give Linux/BSD game development a shot in the
> arm as well.

I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage, including
Linux.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

<Highlander> wrote

Hopefully! Would be nice to see something drain those profits right before
the iPod bust. Perhaps this will finally get rid of that ugly red headed
step child once and for all.

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>i posted the links below back in May in an article about the 360, but
> look again... while i doubt Apple would bother making the journey to a
> gaming console again, they were, imho, ahead of their time as far as
> the style of a console goes. the 360 and it's controller look a heckuva
> lot like the old Pippin...
>
> Apple's Pippin video game console
> http://tinyurl.com/7hn7z
>
> Pippin's controller:
> http://tinyurl.com/8dt3j

The pippin looks like the 3Do next gen that never got released. Hopefully
they will name this next one "CreamPuff", though. That would rock!

Oh well, MS had MSX, but at least that was popular in other countries.

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage,
> including Linux.

W^? Where?

http://boingboing.net/2005/07/31/apple_to_add_trusted.html

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:34:42 -0500, <Highlander> wrote:

>I believe Apple
>will follow in Microsoft's footsteps within the next 3 to 6 years.

that would be a first

"kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:34:42 -0500, <Highlander> wrote:
>
>>I believe Apple
>>will follow in Microsoft's footsteps within the next 3 to 6 years.
>
> that would be a first

Yeah, look how long it took them to switch to Intel. They're so far behind.

> "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
>> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage,
>>> including Linux.
>>
>> W^? Where?
>
> http://boingboing.net/2005/07/31/apple_to_add_trusted.html

Ah... could have stopped at the first paragraph and realized the guy doesn't
know what he's talking about. :)

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Stop posting your off topic bullshit to r.g.v.sega. Actually, please
stop posting any bullshit to rgvs.

"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Stop posting your off topic bullshit to r.g.v.sega. Actually, please
> stop posting any bullshit to rgvs.

Yes, Sega probably won't make any games for it anyways. Agreed.

Highlander wrote:
> keep in mind the following is pure speculation:
>
> based on this article I just read:
> http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT072405191325 (go ahead,
> READ IT)
>
> it sounds like Apple & Steve Jobs is threatened by Playstation3 ~ Xbox 360,
> forcing Apple to concider making an entertainment platform of their own.

it's time for your medication.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage, including
> Linux.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

First, OSX is based on FreeBSD - an open source project.

Second, how is OSX going to know if you are running an open source program
on it? What, it's going to check the program name? No problem. Everyone
will simply change the name of the executible...

Third, what do you mean that OSX won't allow Linux usage? OSX is an OS,
Linux is an OS. You normally do not have multiple OS's running
simultaneously...

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

> Second, how is OSX going to know if you are running an open source program
> on it? What, it's going to check the program name? No problem. Everyone
> will simply change the name of the executible...

"Trusted Computing", shun.

> Third, what do you mean that OSX won't allow Linux usage? OSX is an OS,
> Linux is an OS. You normally do not have multiple OS's running
> simultaneously...

Sure you do.

Doug, once again, is in over his head.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> http://boingboing.net/2005/07/31/apple_to_add_trusted.html

Well, first off, the article says nothing about Apple's x86 kernel not
allowing Linux... Such a thing makes no sense. That's like saying I have
a brand of ice cream that will physically prevent you from eatting any
other brand of ice cream.

The article is really about Trusted Computing, which is a large scope DRM
architecture that Apple is thinking of using.

The goal of Trusted Computing is to only allow authorized programs to
open authorized files. It's supposed to help deter piracy - ie. no more
using Windows Media Player to play that bootlegged movie you downloaded
from the internet. Also, you would not be able to run a movie player that
wasn't recognized by the OS as being part of its list of "trusted"
applications.

Not only is this a stupid idea, but is the type of thing that will drive
even the most technophobic into the waiting arms of PC vendors who don't
use trusted computing garbage. This would basically spell the end for
American PCs. Heck, your next computer won't be an Apple...it'll be a
Pinguo.

> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> http://boingboing.net/2005/07/31/apple_to_add_trusted.html
>
> Well, first off, the article says nothing about Apple's x86 kernel not
> allowing Linux... Such a thing makes no sense. That's like saying I have
> a brand of ice cream that will physically prevent you from eatting any
> other brand of ice cream.

Doug, if I have stated that I know nothing about Linux, would I just come to
that same realization spontaneously? When it comes things I am not
completely familiar with, I defer to the "so-called" experts. Computers ->
Techtv, Culinary Arts - Food Network, Sports -> ESPN.com, Venerial
diseases -> HIV Steve

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage, including
>>Linux.
>

> That makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> First, OSX is based on FreeBSD - an open source project.
>
> Second, how is OSX going to know if you are running an open source program
> on it? What, it's going to check the program name? No problem. Everyone
> will simply change the name of the executible...

I would guess they use some form of code signing. That part could be
made to be quite secure, or at least secure enough to make other parts
of the system easier to compromise.

In alt.games.video.xbox Grinder <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote:

> > Second, how is OSX going to know if you are running an open source program
> > on it? What, it's going to check the program name? No problem. Everyone
> > will simply change the name of the executible...

> I would guess they use some form of code signing. That part could be
> made to be quite secure, or at least secure enough to make other parts
> of the system easier to compromise.

So what happens when new programs come out? (or even updated versions of
existing programs?) Seems to me that this mechanism will have to be
continually updated. After all, you wouldn't want to bring home the
newest version of Photoshop, only to be told by your computer it won't run
because it's not "trusted".

If this becomes too much of a hassle, people will either hack the OS, or
jump to a platform that doesn't treat them like criminals until proven
innocent...

>> > Second, how is OSX going to know if you are running an open source
>> > program
>> > on it? What, it's going to check the program name? No problem.
>> > Everyone
>> > will simply change the name of the executible...
>
>> I would guess they use some form of code signing. That part could be
>> made to be quite secure, or at least secure enough to make other parts
>> of the system easier to compromise.
>
> So what happens when new programs come out? (or even updated versions of
> existing programs?) Seems to me that this mechanism will have to be
> continually updated. After all, you wouldn't want to bring home the
> newest version of Photoshop, only to be told by your computer it won't run
> because it's not "trusted".

Never heard of QUALCOMM's BREW, and the ilk? How surprising.

> If this becomes too much of a hassle, people will either hack the OS, or
> jump to a platform that doesn't treat them like criminals until proven
> innocent...

Meh, Mac users are sheep morons to begin with. The core users will stay.
Apple has become less and less relevant as an actual workstation computer
manufacturer over the last ten years as people wise up and business sense
has replaced blind evangelicalism of Mac fanboys that don't know the first
thing about a PC but rant about them due to their Scientologist-esque
brainwashings. Good riddance.

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> writes:
>> I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage,
>> including Linux.
>
> W^? Where?

Considering that the statement doesn't even make sense (Linux and OSX are
both operating systems, you're hardly going to use both simultanously!), I
imagine the answer is "somewhere in the echoing vastness of his ass."

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over. --Ian Wolff

"Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote in message
> "Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> writes:
>>> I just read that the new OSX will not allow any open source usage,
>>> including Linux.
>>
>> W^? Where?
>
> Considering that the statement doesn't even make sense (Linux and OSX are
> both operating systems, you're hardly going to use both simultanously!), I
> imagine the answer is "somewhere in the echoing vastness of his ass."

Dual boot? Cygwin?

> So, please post the source?
>
> I know you're linux-ignorant by choice, but please, your original
> statement just doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint, it's not
> going to be feasible to implement (any attempted implementation will
> immediatly be cracked, defeated, and made useless) and finally, it doesn't
> even jive with Apple's own corporate culture.

What? Locking down software to the approved core is against Apple's own
corporate culture? DRM restrictive devices are against it as well? As
always, your comment is dumb.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> Doug, if I have stated that I know nothing about Linux, would I just come to
> that same realization spontaneously? When it comes things I am not
> completely familiar with, I defer to the "so-called" experts. Computers ->
> Techtv, Culinary Arts - Food Network, Sports -> ESPN.com, Venerial
> diseases -> HIV Steve

Understood.

However, be advised that Techtv's knowledge about computers is somewhat
dodgy... I wouldn't trust them to inform someone on how to plug in a RAM
module properly.

Turn to cnet.com for decent (albeit, heavily Windows biased) coverage.