I need help, bit of a noob!

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hey guy's. Basically I own a Dell Optiplex 390 Small Forn Factor machine, and are currently using the Intergrated Intel HD graphics. I want to upgrade, I see this nice card thats cheap. A ASUS Radeon 6570 and am thinking of buying it. here's the problem, ny machine has a poor PSU, 240W to be exact, and I dont know how much Power the card will need, but I'm gathering it'll be a little more than that, haha. Since my machines a small form factor, I'm limited in PSU's, I basically need help finding a PSU that will work with my PC. Thankyou.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you have a PCIex16 slot, the physical room, and the card is low-profile, it should be fine with the small PSU. The card doesn't need an external PCIe power cable; drawing all its power from the 75W PCIe buss. And the HD 6570 only draws a maximum of approx. 50W.

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Alright mate, I sorta understood. If I attach some photo's of the machine will you be able to tell me whether it'd work? Like, it was a birthday present so I don't really want to go mess it up by not providing enough power..
I opened up the case, and checked for room and it seems there's enough room, this is my first ever graphics card. I also got told the card requires 400W, then got told that it probably wouldn't run it, but wouldn't risk it. I don't know what to do, please help!
20120506131223.jpg

20120506131304.jpg

20120506135116.jpg

G

i went here:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bpctmspd&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=optiplex-390
it shows the options to configure your rig and saw you could "upgrade" the video to a HD 6450 which runs @ 30 watts where as the 6570 runs @ 50 watts.

i doubt 20 watts will be a deal breaker.

ASUS EAH6570/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 6570 1GB Now: $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441

but in case you find out it can
GIGABYTE GV-R645D3-512I Radeon HD 6450 512MB $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125378
(and dell charges $99 to put one in :non: )

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Thankyou mate, so would you say I can run the 6570? They over exaggerate on the requirements aha! What would you say/do?

G

lets do some math :)

70% of that 240 watt PSU is 168 (i am using 70% to deal with low quality subjectively so not to stress it)

65 watts for your CPU, which it likely wont hit.
50 watts for you GPU
10 watts for a HD
5 watts for DVD/CD drive
8 watts for motherboard chipset
5 watts for RAM ( over estimated)
148 watts TOTAL, no stress :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Looking at your pics, I don't see any problem physically using a low-profile ASUS EAH6570/DI/1GD3(LP). (Other than a snug fit) I don't see any power issues either. The low-profile low power cards like that one were made for those kind of machines. If you need further assurance, here's a PSU calculator you can use:
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
You're not going to 'fry' anything by using too much card, anyway. The system would simply shut down or reboot. But you won't have any problem. I do have one caveat, however. In that small case with limited air flow, I would prefer a card with a fan rather than one with passive cooling.

I say, go for it. It should be a good little card for gaming @ 1680x1050 and lower with most of the 'eye candy' turned on.

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Thankyou very, very much mate. You've helped me make up my mind very easily, I'll be ordering one very soon! Thankyou to the other guy as well, both of your help is extremely appreciated!x

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
The pictures of the low profile cards normally show them in normal mode. Make sure the card you buy comes with the 2 short low profile adapters, what you will do is unscrew the standoffs that hold the PCI-E plate on and install the shorter one. Then there is a second plate that the VGA output screws into. This will go into the slot next to the one used by the card. I put a couple pictures of what I mean below. This what it will look like head-on before you install the low profile brackets

SsIdgl.jpg

This is what it will look like after you install them.

DOfzFl.jpg

side view

PjEahl.jpg

As you can see the VGA is on a flexable cable to allow it to fit next to the card.

its a pretty easy upgrade. you will be blown away at the improvements you will see.

Also this Card is about to be a Newegg.com shell shocker deal I would check it out today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102942 HD 6570 with 2GB DR3 RAM its normally $84.99 (If your outside the US this won't help)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

One correction on my part: I originally thought that card had passive cooling. Looking closer, I see I was wrong. It does have a fan... My bad. You're good to go.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Good idea, the ports are all blocked by default by the factory. more airflow is better.

G

if you have an open slot next to it, your gold. huge heatsink! :eek:

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Looks good.

One thing about Asus Cards, Dont be alarmed if the fan gets real loud right when you start the computer for a few seconds. its a reverse fan mode that blows the dust off the card. (very nice feature)

My buddy thought something was wrong with his. XD

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, that is the card we've (you've) been talking about. Should fit fine and give good frame rates at medium settings. Btw, What is the resolution of your monitor?
Here's something you may be interested in watching... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r1LRYzXNGo

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

So guy's, I measure the height of my machine (landscape view) and it come in at about 3.6/7 inches. The whole card itself is 4.6 inches, yet that's with the low profile bracket not added, so with the DVI slot, HDMI slot and the PCI slot all together, minus the PCI slot when the bracket's on, that should be like, what, taking off an extra inch and a half?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Oh, I'm not using a monitor, I'm using my 32" TV and connected it via HDMI so yeah, I can always run it on a smaller resolution anyway.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it's a 720p HDTV, you should be in great shape. If it's a 1080p HDTV, you may have to back off on some of the settings to get smooth frame rates in demanding games. But it will be a MAJOR improvement over what you have now. Enjoy.

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I measured the height of my machine (landscape view) and it come in at about 3.6/7 inches. The whole card itself is 4.6 inches, yet that's with the low profile bracket not added, so with the DVI slot, HDMI slot and the PCI slot all together, minus the PCI slot when the bracket's on, that should be like, what, taking off an extra inch and a half?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I think you're over-worrying the situation. The lo-profile bracket will replace the full-height bracket. Unplug the VGA socket from the card's header and Leave off the add-on VGA bracket. The card will then fit nicely into the case. There are standards that case and card manufacturers abide by. It will fit fine.