Sign in with
Your question

Intel core i3 2120 sure runs fast though there's this heat issue

Last response: in CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:16:48 PM

I just clocked it to 1.6ghz and disabled hyperthreading and it can still run minecraft smoothly. i clocked to that frequency because it's running really hot at 45+ degree. Any alternative for thermal compound? I need to lower the temperature but I don't see anyone in our place selling thermal compound. I need it for my cpu to last at least a 3 weeks. So what do you guys think?
May 5, 2012 1:27:08 PM

I have the i3 2105 in a mini itx case, i used arctic silver compound as i was led to believe it is a very good compound and my idle temp is around 32 degrees, it was 28 ish till i installed a graphics card but 32 is well acceptable. Are you sure you used enough compound during installation and made sure all the clips are secured correctly?
May 5, 2012 1:45:33 PM

i think i've been duped by intel. the thermal compound on the heatsink isn't in a paste form but in a powdered compound form. the thermal compound is still in there. I don't know if it's better to leave it on or clean it and just put the heatsink.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 1:55:26 PM

Intel's stock cooler are renowned for being the lowest performance. Also the paste on the heat sink is put on in strips usually which can leave gaps (meaning less heat transfer to the cooler)

Buying any thermal paste will improve matters but probably by 1-5 deg depending on your old paste etc. I just used the Noctua paste from my fan but there are plenty of good ones (Arctic silver, MX-2, Noctua NT-H1)

When you say running hot, what is hot? On a stock fan with stock compound seeing temperatures of 70-80 deg while overclocked running prime 95 is not unusual. Minecraft is (although one of my fav games ever) a badly coded game which is very CPU intensive.
May 5, 2012 1:55:30 PM

I have not yet used a stock cooler in any of the 3 builds i have done, if i did i certainly would of cleaned off the pre-applied compound. I can definately recommend arctic silver compound, just a small blob of it in the centre of the top of the cpu, then as you clip the cooler on it will spread it out nice.

This is the cooler i used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CC7118HP01-Profile-Int... pretty cheap, pretty quiet if not the best quality and my max temp has been about 55 ish under heavy load. Hope this helps.
a c 78 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 2:13:38 PM

mykebrian said:
I just clocked it to 1.6ghz and disabled hyperthreading and it can still run minecraft smoothly. i clocked to that frequency because it's running really hot at 45+ degree. Any alternative for thermal compound? I need to lower the temperature but I don't see anyone in our place selling thermal compound. I need it for my cpu to last at least a 3 weeks. So what do you guys think?

Dude a Pentium III can run minecraft smoothly haha. But either way I would get some good thermal paste and ditch that garbage intel cooler.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 3:33:39 PM

mykebrian said:

Then you have another issue, it's certainly not the cpu.

45c is NOT hot. Mine idles 36/37c and maxes around 61c under prime 95.

I used the stock cooler and paste, even though I had some paste lying around, I didn't bother. I saw no need to use an aftermarket cooler or paste for a non overclockable cpu that only uses about 35w to begin with.
a c 78 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 4:30:55 PM

geekapproved said:
Then you have another issue, it's certainly not the cpu.

45c is NOT hot. Mine idles 36/37c and maxes around 61c under prime 95.

I used the stock cooler and paste, even though I had some paste lying around, I didn't bother. I saw no need to use an aftermarket cooler or paste for a non overclockable cpu that only uses about 35w to begin with.

Yeah It's called the stock intel cooler being the biggest piece of junk ever. They are loud, inefficient and almost impossible to secure properly. Why else do you think there are at least 5 posts a day about someones iX CPU getting so hot you could cook your breakfast on it ? I don't trust MFG thermal paste. Personal preference maybe but there is no denying aftermarket paste performs better and has a longer life.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 4:53:44 PM

Yes the fan is cheap, but it works fine for me. Mine is completely silent and secures just the same as any other pop in fan. I actually have a CM hyper 212 in the closet, but it would be kind of dumb to use that when I paid for a fan with my cpu.

You don't trust manufacturer thermal paste? That's like saying you don't trust the tires that come on your new Ford Mustang.

If it wasn't sufficient and didn't work well, they wouldn't put it on their product. You can go buy a $10 tube of AS5 and you may see 2c difference at the most.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 6:24:41 PM

I disagree.
The stock fan is adequate for the validated clock speed of the chip, nothing more. Putting a better cooler on allows you to clock higher or allow stock speeds to run cooler potentionly lengthening the life of your chip. Imo it is always worth upgrading the cooler to something in the 15-25 quid mark.

Comparing it to a car, Cars are equiped with tyres to pass various standards, be it speed or energy efficency. Say you have a T rated tyre (118mph) and you tune the engine to achieve 120mph, you would need to upgrade the tyre of a U rating to be within safe limits. Upgrading to better tyres at the same speed lets the car corner better at a safer limit.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 7:19:23 PM

bleechy said:
I disagree.
The stock fan is adequate for the validated clock speed of the chip, nothing more. Putting a better cooler on allows you to clock higher or allow stock speeds to run cooler potentionly lengthening the life of your chip. Imo it is always worth upgrading the cooler to something in the 15-25 quid mark.

Comparing it to a car, Cars are equiped with tyres to pass various standards, be it speed or energy efficency. Say you have a T rated tyre (118mph) and you tune the engine to achieve 120mph, you would need to upgrade the tyre of a U rating to be within safe limits. Upgrading to better tyres at the same speed lets the car corner better at a safer limit.

You fail to understand what were talking about. It's a non overclockable cpu. Spending 15-25 pesos is dumb when you have already bought a fan with the cpu. Lengthen the life of the chip? Well I'm sure it would run at stock speeds for at least 10yrs, even if it didn't, I will surely upgrade in 2-3yrs, which the 3yr warranty covers anyways, so it would be pointless.

If you tuned your car to run 120mph (would you really need to "tune" it to do that? LOL), T rated tyres would be just fine, because your never going to drive it over 118 anyways, and even if you did it would be in a straight line for a very short period of time, sooo, that would be pointless too.

Besides your talking about modification of the car. I was talking about the tires on a brand new Mustang, obviously Ford tested the car with those tires and decided those were the best tires for a given car, They wouldn't give them to you if they were not adequate to the capabilities of the vehicle.

Your comparison doesn't even make sense. My cpu maxes at 62c which is WAY below the thermal limit of the cpu, so adding a fan that knocks that down to 58c would just be a waste of money.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:05:23 PM

geekapproved said:
You fail to understand what were talking about. It's a non overclockable cpu. Spending 15-25 pesos is dumb when you have already bought a fan with the cpu. Lengthen the life of the chip? Well I'm sure it would run at stock speeds for at least 10yrs, even if it didn't, I will surely upgrade in 2-3yrs, which the 3yr warranty covers anyways, so it would be pointless.

If you tuned your car to run 120mph (would you really need to "tune" it to do that? LOL), T rated tyres would be just fine, because your never going to drive it over 118 anyways, and even if you did it would be in a straight line for a very short period of time, sooo, that would be pointless too.

Besides your talking about modification of the car. I was talking about the tires on a brand new Mustang, obviously Ford tested the car with those tires and decided those were the best tires for a given car, They wouldn't give them to you if they were not adequate to the capabilities of the vehicle.

Your comparison doesn't even make sense. My cpu maxes at 62c which is WAY below the thermal limit of the cpu, so adding a fan that knocks that down to 58c would just be a waste of money.

You compared a proccessor to a car my friend I simply expanded on the analogy, also the I3 2120 is overclockable using the back clock frequency to achieve a 10-20% increase in benchmarking.

Oh and quickly you do need to modify the EPU on a car (hence tuning) to see a sizeable increase in hp since direct injection engines. Straight line speed and tyre ratings are very important, infact it's the only time that is important, wrongly rated tyres invalidate your warranty. You could easily be over these speeds on any track day etc.
Cars are always designed to run at a lower power output than their maximum output, like processors. Putting performance parts on them can enhance and sometimes lengthen the life of any mehcanical or electrical product.
The tyres on a mustang are only capable of reaching the limited speed of the car, with the limiter removed the tyre would be inadequate, like a processor if you will ^^.
a c 78 à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:47:01 PM

Ok well aside from cars... I see post after post after post on here about iX CPU's getting freakishly hot and it always boils down to one of 2 things. Either the cooler was not fixed to the motherboard properly or for what ever reason a re application with higher quality thermal paste seems to do the trick. Manufacturers will often sell what is not necessarily best but most cost effective. I like to avoid situations like these and just use a higher performance cooling solution that will keep my hardware cooler, quieter and last longer.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 8:48:51 PM

cmi86 said:
Ok well aside from cars... I see post after post after post on here about iX CPU's getting freakishly hot and it always boils down to one of 2 things. Either the cooler was not fixed to the motherboard properly or for what ever reason a re application with higher quality thermal paste seems to do the trick. Manufacturers will often sell what is not necessarily best but most cost effective. I like to avoid situations like these and just use a higher performance cooling solution that will keep my hardware cooler, quieter and last longer.

I agree 100% - You speak my language! :bounce: 
!