Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fps drops

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 22, 2012 11:38:01 PM

I havent been able to play allot of games lately because when i play games like assassins creed:revelations or witcher 2 i get fps drops and micro-stuttering. my system remains cool so i dont think that is the problem. I geet a good 60-90 fps but it dips and stutters and i have tried lots of things so if you guys could give me some suggestions that would be great. it stutters even on the lowest settings. my cpu is going at about 70% in game i don't know if that helps or not.

specs:

graphics card: Radeon HD 6970
cpu:AMD phenom ii x6 1000t 3.31 gHz
ram: 8 Gigs DDDR3
monitor: 1920x1080 60 herts refresh rate

More about : fps drops

January 22, 2012 11:58:40 PM

1) What is your OS?
2) Are there any other programs running in the background? If so what programs?
3) Have you installed anything new recently? (software/hardware)
4) Did these programs exhibit this behavior when your system was "new" (shortly after the OS was installed)?
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 2:07:41 AM

caqde said:
1) What is your OS?
2) Are there any other programs running in the background? If so what programs?
3) Have you installed anything new recently? (software/hardware)
4) Did these programs exhibit this behavior when your system was "new" (shortly after the OS was installed)?


1)windows 7
2)yes, just steam
3)no this is the first time i have ran any games that are new so it could of been like this forever
4)im not sure because i never tried them untill now
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2012 3:03:55 AM

Have you cleaned your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors lately? If not, run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Once your sysetm is clean, then troubleshooting will be easier. And maybe that alone will clear up the problem.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 3:36:59 PM

clutchc said:
Have you cleaned your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors lately? If not, run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Once your sysetm is clean, then troubleshooting will be easier. And maybe that alone will clear up the problem.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner


ok i did that and the problem is still there. would doing a completely new OS installation now help?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2012 4:24:28 PM

crystalchamp said:
ok i did that and the problem is still there. would doing a completely new OS installation now help?

That may help if an installation error is at the root of the problem. But I don't see any reason your CPU and graphics card shouldn't be up to the task at 19x10 rez unless you are using an extreme level of Anti-Aliazing. Does the game allow dropping AA to around 4X or 2X? 60-90 fps is really quite good. But if something is causing what you refer to as micro-stuttering, that can indeed be annoying. Micro-stutter usually something that's associated with dual graphics cards in Xfire mode.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-cr...

Before a complete re-install of the o.s. you may want to try this: uninstall the driver from Control Panel. Reboot. Download Driver Sweeper and run it from Safe Mode. Have it remove any remnants of ATI and Nvidia drivers it finds. Reboot and re-install the latest graphics driver.
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 5:32:29 PM

I think i may have found the issue or part of it. when i go to my Bios (American Megatrends Inc. 0705, last updated 8/22/11) and in the easy mode there are 3 screens one that says power saving mode,normal, and high performance mode; when i click on on the high performance one it starts but about 5 minutes later i get a blue screen saying "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" anyone know what this could mean? ok now i get a blue screen in hight performance mode saying"irql_not_less_or_equal" does that mean my graphics card could be messed up or just the drivers?
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 5:46:52 PM

clutchc said:
Before a complete re-install of the o.s. you may want to try this: uninstall the driver from Control Panel. Reboot. Download Driver Sweeper and run it from Safe Mode. Have it remove any remnants of ATI and Nvidia drivers it finds. Reboot and re-install the latest graphics driver.


^Try this first, AMD is known for having lots of driver issues.
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 11:54:19 PM

clutchc said:
That may help if an installation error is at the root of the problem. But I don't see any reason your CPU and graphics card shouldn't be up to the task at 19x10 rez unless you are using an extreme level of Anti-Aliazing. Does the game allow dropping AA to around 4X or 2X? 60-90 fps is really quite good. But if something is causing what you refer to as micro-stuttering, that can indeed be annoying. Micro-stutter usually something that's associated with dual graphics cards in Xfire mode.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-cr...

Before a complete re-install of the o.s. you may want to try this: uninstall the driver from Control Panel. Reboot. Download Driver Sweeper and run it from Safe Mode. Have it remove any remnants of ATI and Nvidia drivers it finds. Reboot and re-install the latest graphics driver.


i was in my bios and my cpu was at about 109 degrees Fahrenheit should i upgrade my cpu fan or is that normal?
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 11:58:11 PM

That's around 43 Degrees Celsius that is well within operating limits (High would be around 70 Degrees Celsius or around 158 Degrees Fahrenheit)
m
0
l
February 2, 2012 8:29:33 PM

caqde said:
That's around 43 Degrees Celsius that is well within operating limits (High would be around 70 Degrees Celsius or around 158 Degrees Fahrenheit)


Thats in bios though, so its actually way too high for an idle temp

To OP: What your 100% load temp
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2012 8:56:42 PM

Wmharris96 said:
Thats in bios though, so its actually way too high for an idle temp

To OP: What your 100% load temp

Kinda off the OP's topic, but my BIOS temp always shows higher than 3rd party pgms running in Win7 (when idle). This is with AMD and Intel boards both. Example: the last 2 Intel Sandy Bridge systems I put together showed low 40s in BIOS and only high 30s in Core Temp.
m
0
l
!