Home hybrid network

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
i have a home network that is getting prety big. about 5-6 systems on it. i can't keep track of the ip adresses. there are ips that are not used on any system when doing ipconfig but they will reply to pings? there al mixed up. and i need to match them with host names. is there any program to track ips to there host names without a dns server? my servers will not reply tostatic ip but will to some random one. i have no idea what is happening. it is a hybrid wireless and coper network.
coper from modem to router to a pc. then wifi to laptop and another pc with windows 7 then coper crosover cable to my server 2008 system. the server will remote desktop to 7 however when servers ip is entered it wil not conect. eg 192.168.2.6 however it will try to conect to the windows 7 @192.168.2.3 however this would make it conect to itself and its ip is 192.168.2.2 so i have no idea why there al mixed up. would it help to go static rather than a forever dhcp from the router. i will try and reset the router and see if that helps. all comand lines have not helped at all. any programs that can track and fix this type stuff?

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
DHCP from router is default to dynamic IP ranges.

The only way to keep the same IP address from your router, is to set a reservation if your router supports that feature.

If it does not you will have to disable the DHCP on the router and do static ip for each machine.

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
problem solved reset router and rebuilt network setings. took about an hour. i think that if you make home networks start keeping track of your ip to hosts at day 1. then you can avoid this. also i will probubly not buy a belkin router again. there have been times where i had to restart it like 2-3 times a week. also thanks to accolite. this may help. i think i wil just specify range eg 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.10. then over that go static.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well, on my router I have the option to save my PC mac address and certain IP address I select.

So every time I restart I still get the same IP address.

I might be better for you to get a better router or see if you can flash it with some other firmware like WRT, etc...