Building a budget day trade computer

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I am currently in the process of building a day trading computer.

I have been out of tune with computers for a while so I came here to get some opinions/advice.

This will technically be a budget build since I am not hardcore gaming or anything like that.

This is the build I had in mind...

Rosewill Challenger Mid ATX Tower (3 case fans)
Logisys 550w PSU
Asus P8H61-M Motherboard
Intel Core i3-2120 (3.3GHz)
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR-1600 (2x4GB)
Asus 24x DVD Drive
LG 22x DVD Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ 7200RPM
Two Acer or LG Widescreen LCD Dual Display (22/23")

Any thoughts on this build? Also HDD's being so expensive...should I stick with HDD or go SSD?

Thanks everyone!

As for HDD vs SSD, buy a SSD for windows and apps, with a HDD for storage of documents, etc. Just as you have it configured now.

Your build is fine except for the power supply. Logisys is a crap maker. Go with a reputable brand such as Corsair, or Antec, or Seasonic.

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Thanks abekl, which power supply would you recommend?

And another question, if I had mobo, ram, psu, would I be able to turn on case fans and psu fans with just that? Or do I need CPU to even get the fans on?

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
My build will be mostly for streaming a lot of data really fast.

It will be software based.

I'm looking for a decent power supply, since abekl said mine blows lol.
As far as HDD I'll probable just go with a Seagate or WD 7200RPM.
How are thermaltake PSU's and what Kim of wattage am I looking for with my build?

Will PSU fans and Case fans work without a CPU?

Sorry, I've been out of the tech sector for a while lol.

Thanks for all your guys time and help.

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Well it has 1 DVI and 1 VGA, I got it open boxed for $47.
I could just end up getting a video card too I need be.
I'm just trying to figure out what power supply an HDD to get.
I read a lot of reviews on newegg and I guess HDDs are unreliable because people are receiving dead HDDs or ones that stop working after a short period of time.

And also, will PSU fans And case fans spin without a CPU?

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Trying to test whether or not everything is hooked up correctly, and while waiting for CPU to arrive, I want to see the fans spinning.

I'm also hard pressed to find a 5egg rated HDD..I will only need ~250GB of 7200RPM

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
thing is with hdd ratings, there are sooo many people who buy them and never report how good they are, genrally you only get the negative feedback. I have only had one seagate drive fail (power got tripped while it was writing and locked the read head). seagate warrantied it anyway.

A spinning case fan and PSU fan will not demonstrate that everything is hooked up correctly.
It will show the PSU is providing power to the fans and that the power switch is hooked up the correct motherboard header.
But if you want to see the fans spin - go for it.

Fans connected to psu or motherboard ?
I'm not into powering the mb without the cpu but you can get things to show you some life by shorting the green wire on the 24 pin connector with any of the black grounds.

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
My motherboard is an open box Asus P8H61-M, so I just want to make sure everything works, that's why I wanted to test fans.

I am ordering the Seasonic PSU now.
What should I do with my Logisys 550W lol?
I've never returned anything to newegg...would it be better to just keep it as backup or something?

And what HDD would you recommend, I'll only need 250 GB max and don't want to spend a lot for a HDD. But also want to go with reputable brand.

The fans are the least of your worries.
The fans don't even need the motherboard to work correctly in order to run.

Did you get all the usual motherboard accessories?
The NewEgg photos usually show them.

13-131-716-Z05

bz42

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Got everything but the user manual, but I can just look at that online. So far all I got with the mono is a green sn_pwr light when connected to PSU, but PSU fans and case fans don't spin...