PC keeps restarting when trying to play games

MasterOfPancakes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
My friend's computer keeps restarting when trying to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and DiRT 3, but it runs fine on Portal 2. Here are the system specs.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
28-30 celsius idle, 38-mid 40s celsius when playing something

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
42 celsius idle, 60-77 celsius when playing something (Single Card, no crossfire)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Mid 30s celsius

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
35-40 celsius

Power Supply: 500w that came with an apevia case

Anyone know what might be the problem to this and what can fix this?

99% likely it is power or cooling related.

Apevia cases have pretty poor airflow in general and their PSUs are better as paperweights.

My guess is that 1) the PSU just can't handle the 6870's max draw, or 2) that the 6870 temps are for some reason higher than they seem.

Much more likely to be #1 than #2.

Buy an XFX 550w or 650w instead. Not just any PSU of these wattages, I mean this kind.

What PSU do you have in your computer?

You might be able to use yours to test this theory if yours is better than his.

Ideally, you should be able to close in on 100c, but that would likely cut way down on the useful life of the card.

It depends on a lot of factors, though.

I have noticed stuttering start to occur on my card when the temps start pushing 80c in long sessions of Dirt 3.

Like I said, though, its more likely the PSU can't handle the max draw of the card sustained over more than very short periods of time.

Your friend is going to spend more cash anyway when his PSU breaks and destroys his video card on the way down, possibly the motherboard too/instead.

Potentially a whole lot more.

Sure, it would be nice if you could undervolt the whole system by 50% and gain FPS in the process, but if the highest ranked people on TH are suggesting something it is probably because they know what they are talking about.

If he wants a bargain basement priced PSU he can get an Antec EarthWatts 380w for $42 which is still light years ahead of the current Apevia one.

I would much rather see them with an XFX 450w for $47ish, though. That may not handle a 6990, but it would handle the current specs easily and anything the friend decides fits in his ultra restrictive budget later.

If he won't cave, ask him if he would buy a Ferrari except to save a few dollars off the sticker price he would ask the dealership to put a Toyota Echo engine in it instead.

Not a valid comparison. An Echo engine, though underpowered for a Ferrari, is probably more reliable than a Ferrari engine.

And better than undervolting the CPU would be to turn two of the coers off.

Best would be replcing the PSU in the case with a decent one.

zayoun

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
i am having the exact same issue, and i really need a solution,

in my case the pc restarts only when i hit the water in the DIRT 3 game... on high graphics...

my pc specs:

i7 920 @2.67

6GB standard DDR3 1333 RAMS, (was 8GB before, but i think one of them just got screwed)

ASUS P6T Motherboard

ZOTAC Geforce 260 square...

PSU 600 Watt... Brand was Razor something ( i don't remember), but its 18 month OLD now...

Cooler Master Spider Case, with 2 big fans and one small fan...

No cooler for the GPU , standard CPU FAN for the CPU...

zayoun

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

in my case the pc restarts only when i hit the water in the DIRT 3 game... on high graphics...

my pc specs:

i7 920 @2.67

6GB standard DDR3 1333 RAMS, (was 8GB before, but i think one of them just got screwed)

ASUS P6T Motherboard

PSU 600 Watt... Brand was Razor something ( i don't remember), but its 18 month OLD now...

zayoun

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

my pc specs:

i7 920 @2.67

ASUS P6T Motherboard