Ron

Could someone please tell me what settings need to be active or what group
policy objects can override to disable the "transparent" text under desktop
icons? My standard user logins have the old-style desktop color block around
the desktop icon text - I would much prefer the text under the icon without
the desktop color block - in the same context, what settings prevent users
from having a .bmp, or .jpg picture as the desktop. I have had two users
that only had a solid blue or black desktop while other users on the same
workstation had the "pretty picture" - even though the desktop properties of
all users indicated they should have the same picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what will fix that:
-Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
-Click on the Advanced tab
-Click on "Settings" under Performance
-Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

Hope this helps!

--
Kelli Zielinski
Please reply to the group

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone please tell me what settings need to be active or what group
> policy objects can override to disable the "transparent" text under
> desktop
> icons? My standard user logins have the old-style desktop color block
> around
> the desktop icon text - I would much prefer the text under the icon
> without
> the desktop color block - in the same context, what settings prevent users
> from having a .bmp, or .jpg picture as the desktop. I have had two users
> that only had a solid blue or black desktop while other users on the same
> workstation had the "pretty picture" - even though the desktop properties
> of
> all users indicated they should have the same picture.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:08:59 -0700, "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]"
<kelliz@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here's what will fix that:
>-Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
>-Click on the Advanced tab
>-Click on "Settings" under Performance
>-Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
>
>Hope this helps!
Its not possible to have translucent icon text without drop shadows in
XP. Removing "Use drop shadows..." will only result in the old-style
blocks of color around the icon text.

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup

Ron

Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you meant
that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
looking for the answer. . .

"Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:

> Here's what will fix that:
> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
> -Click on the Advanced tab
> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --
> Kelli Zielinski
> Please reply to the group
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could someone please tell me what settings need to be active or what group
> > policy objects can override to disable the "transparent" text under
> > desktop
> > icons? My standard user logins have the old-style desktop color block
> > around
> > the desktop icon text - I would much prefer the text under the icon
> > without
> > the desktop color block - in the same context, what settings prevent users
> > from having a .bmp, or .jpg picture as the desktop. I have had two users
> > that only had a solid blue or black desktop while other users on the same
> > workstation had the "pretty picture" - even though the desktop properties
> > of
> > all users indicated they should have the same picture.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

And apparently with the option in question checked or not makes no difference
to whether the icon text appears in a box with the "desktop color" or appears
to be "floating" over the desktop image. I currently have the "desktop
color" box and want to go to the luna-look of text floating over the
background image. If that clarifies my question at all - and do either of
you know why the desktop image would be obscurred by the desktop color choice
covering the entirety of the desktop?

"Donald McDaniel" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:08:59 -0700, "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]"
> <kelliz@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Here's what will fix that:
> >-Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
> >-Click on the Advanced tab
> >-Click on "Settings" under Performance
> >-Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
> >
> >Hope this helps!
> Its not possible to have translucent icon text without drop shadows in
> XP. Removing "Use drop shadows..." will only result in the old-style
> blocks of color around the icon text.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Keep the thread intact
> Post reply to original newsgroup

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:03:02 -0700, Ron
<Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>And apparently with the option in question checked or not makes no difference
>to whether the icon text appears in a box with the "desktop color" or appears
>to be "floating" over the desktop image. I currently have the "desktop
>color" box and want to go to the luna-look of text floating over the
>background image. If that clarifies my question at all - and do either of
>you know why the desktop image would be obscurred by the desktop color choice
>covering the entirety of the desktop?

What? What?
Good God! I've seen (and written) "spaghetti code". Now I've seen
everything! I've now seen a "spaghetti post".

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup

Ron

Sorry?? I obviously haven't spent enough time around programmers to
understand the "spaghetti code" reference, would you mind restating it so I
understand your comment?

"Donald McDaniel" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:03:02 -0700, Ron
> <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >And apparently with the option in question checked or not makes no difference
> >to whether the icon text appears in a box with the "desktop color" or appears
> >to be "floating" over the desktop image. I currently have the "desktop
> >color" box and want to go to the luna-look of text floating over the
> >background image. If that clarifies my question at all - and do either of
> >you know why the desktop image would be obscurred by the desktop color choice
> >covering the entirety of the desktop?
>
> What? What?
> Good God! I've seen (and written) "spaghetti code". Now I've seen
> everything! I've now seen a "spaghetti post".
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Keep the thread intact
> Post reply to original newsgroup
>

> Donald L McDaniel
> Keep the thread intact
> Post reply to original newsgroup

I'll do some research and talk to some people over here, and see what I can
dig up.

--

> Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you meant
> that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
> looking for the answer. . .
>
> "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Here's what will fix that:
>> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
>> -Click on the Advanced tab
>> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
>> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> --
>> Kelli Zielinski
>> Please reply to the group
>> rights.
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could someone please tell me what settings need to be active or what
>> > group
>> > policy objects can override to disable the "transparent" text under
>> > desktop
>> > icons? My standard user logins have the old-style desktop color block
>> > around
>> > the desktop icon text - I would much prefer the text under the icon
>> > without
>> > the desktop color block - in the same context, what settings prevent
>> > users
>> > from having a .bmp, or .jpg picture as the desktop. I have had two
>> > users
>> > that only had a solid blue or black desktop while other users on the
>> > same
>> > workstation had the "pretty picture" - even though the desktop
>> > properties
>> > of
>> > all users indicated they should have the same picture.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.

Okay, so, there is two ways of displaying the text under desktop icons:
-Text with drop shadow (transparent)
-Block text of background color

Toggling that setting I posted earlier should go between these two options.

Additionally, on the desktop image issue, where is the image in question
stored on the machine?

--
Kelli Zielinski
Please reply to the group

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you meant
> that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
> looking for the answer. . .
>
> "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Here's what will fix that:
>> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
>> -Click on the Advanced tab
>> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
>> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> --
>> Kelli Zielinski
>> Please reply to the group
>> rights.
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could someone please tell me what settings need to be active or what
>> > group
>> > policy objects can override to disable the "transparent" text under
>> > desktop
>> > icons? My standard user logins have the old-style desktop color block
>> > around
>> > the desktop icon text - I would much prefer the text under the icon
>> > without
>> > the desktop color block - in the same context, what settings prevent
>> > users
>> > from having a .bmp, or .jpg picture as the desktop. I have had two
>> > users
>> > that only had a solid blue or black desktop while other users on the
>> > same
>> > workstation had the "pretty picture" - even though the desktop
>> > properties
>> > of
>> > all users indicated they should have the same picture.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.

kelly

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

For your latter issue, run the edit on line 142 (right hand side)

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" <kelliz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'll do some research and talk to some people over here, and see what I
> can dig up.
>
> --
> Kelli Zielinski
> Please reply to the group
> rights.
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you
>> meant
>> that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
>> looking for the answer. . .
>>
>> "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Here's what will fix that:
>>> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
>>> -Click on the Advanced tab
>>> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
>>> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
>>>
>>> Hope this helps!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kelli Zielinski
>>> Please reply to the group
>>> rights.
>>>

>>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ron

Kelli -

Assuming that I'm not going batty, and that I have tried that setting
toggled and not, are there any settings in group policy that would be
overriding the local setting? This workstation is part of an AD2000 domain.

The background image is stored on the local hd0:

"Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:

> Okay, so, there is two ways of displaying the text under desktop icons:
> -Text with drop shadow (transparent)
> -Block text of background color
>
> Toggling that setting I posted earlier should go between these two options.
>
> Additionally, on the desktop image issue, where is the image in question
> stored on the machine?
>

> --
> Kelli Zielinski
> Please reply to the group
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you meant
> > that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
> > looking for the answer. . .
> >
> > "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Here's what will fix that:
> >> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
> >> -Click on the Advanced tab
> >> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
> >> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
> >>
> >> Hope this helps!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kelli Zielinski
> >> Please reply to the group
> >> rights.
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ron

OK - I would never have guessed this, so thanks ever so much - -

doing the:
Desktop > [right click] > Arrange by >
and unchecking the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" instantly gave me the text
with drop shadow and transparent background..

Most excellent and way more simple than I was thinking it was going to end up.

"Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:

> Okay, so, there is two ways of displaying the text under desktop icons:
> -Text with drop shadow (transparent)
> -Block text of background color
>
> Toggling that setting I posted earlier should go between these two options.
>
> Additionally, on the desktop image issue, where is the image in question
> stored on the machine?
>

> --
> Kelli Zielinski
> Please reply to the group
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry Kelli - that box was already unchecked, I thought perhaps you meant
> > that it should be checked so I re-checked it, and still no change. Still
> > looking for the answer. . .
> >
> > "Kelli Zielinski [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Here's what will fix that:
> >> -Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
> >> -Click on the Advanced tab
> >> -Click on "Settings" under Performance
> >> -Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
> >>
> >> Hope this helps!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kelli Zielinski
> >> Please reply to the group
> >> rights.
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kelly

Great, Ron.....glad you have it resolved. :eek:)