Looking for some opinions on my first build.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
computerbuild.png

This is what i got so far. Just trying to get a few opinions, never built a computer before. Pretty much just trying to use it as a gaming computer.

Pretty good build. You might want a bit more ram and see if you can't fit an SSD into there. I can vouch for that case though, built computers for customers and it easy to work with and comes at a great price.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Yeah i eventually would like 12gb of ram, but figured 8gb would be enough for the time being. Is an SSD worth throwing in there does it really speed everything up? What size you recommend?

User experience will be poor in many respects.

5900 RPM hard drive is much slower than 7200 RPM drives are. I would strongly advise you use a 7200 RPM hard drive instead.

Motherboard is overkill.

XFX 650w would do better for the same price compared to the Corsair 650w.

The AMD RAM just hit the market and has a very short track record. I wouldn't buy it on that basis. It could be awesome or it could completely suck, but either way I wouldn't want to suggest you to be their test victim.

If you are going to use a 64 bit OS, almost all motherboards can handle RAM with the part number CT2KIT51264BA1339 and it has rock bottom failure rates. It is about as close to the ideal set of RAM as anything in existence.

If you have a 32 bit OS, you should stick with 2 x 2 GBs instead because that is all that will be recognized anyway.

Processor - I would rather see you get an i5-2500k and a Gigabyte 1155 motherboard to go with it instead of this processor/board. The FX series AMD processors were a flop in the marketplace, that is why there is almost never a time there is not a host of price reduction and combo deals that include them. It is the only way that sellers can offload their inventory.

Case - I would switch it out for an Antec 300 or HAF 912 instead. The bargain basement CM 430 won't do well at the main job of a case which is helping to increase the lifespawn of the parts inside it through adequate airflow and cooling. Both of the above entry level enthusiast cases are much better for systems that are going to include 6900 series cards

The XFX 6950 uses a dispersal fan which means most of the heat is going to stay in the case when it comes off the fins. The CM 430, iirc, has a top mount PSU which means all that heat has to get sucked into the PSU which will drastically decrease its lifespan.

Both of the above cases have bottom mount PSUs which means all that hot air from the video cards doesn't get sucked right into the PSU. This pretty much doubles its life expectancy.

If you are willing to spend maybe 10 - 20% more on the build you will have much better performance and life expectancy out of the system.

g-unit1111

Titan
Processor - I would rather see you get an i5-2500k and a Gigabyte 1155 motherboard to go with it instead of this processor/board. The FX series AMD processors were a flop in the marketplace, that is why there is almost never a time there is not a host of price reduction and combo deals that include them. It is the only way that sellers can offload their inventory.

I agree with this setup plus the FX still has the BIOS issues that need to be worked out, which is why it was considered a flop to begin with.

The XFX 6950 uses a dispersal fan which means most of the heat is going to stay in the case when it comes off the fins. The CM 430, iirc, has a top mount PSU which means all that heat has to get sucked into the PSU which will drastically decrease its lifespan.

Yeah I hate top-mounted PSus for that reason.

If you are going to use a 64 bit OS, almost all motherboards can handle RAM with the part number CT2KIT51264BA1339 and it has rock bottom failure rates. It is about as close to the ideal set of RAM as anything in existence.

Crucial is an excellent RAM and SSD maker, I'll second that suggestion.

5900 RPM hard drive is much slower than 7200 RPM drives are. I would strongly advise you use a 7200 RPM hard drive instead.

SSD with secondary HD would be the best solution but if the OP doesn't have the budget they can always get the SSD later as an upgrade.

Yeah i eventually would like 12gb of ram, but figured 8gb would be enough for the time being. Is an SSD worth throwing in there does it really speed everything up? What size you recommend?

Only triple channel systems (Intel X58) use 12GB of RAM. And those are on their way out anyways. For a dual channel system you will either get 8GB or 16GB in order to get the full functionality of it.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks this is my first build ever so im still trying to figure everything out.

If I were you, I would not ever heed the advice of anyone who says that AMD processors are better than 2500ks ever again.

The FX-8150, the best thing AMD has, has to OC just to equal the 2500k. If you OC the 2500k, there is nothing that AMD has that will even come close.

I suggested a RAM part number in my response. The CT2KIT51264BA1339.

You cannot determine if this is the RAM you need at this point, though.

First the processor must be decided, then the motherboard, and only then the RAM. If you get an i5-2500k and a gigabyte 1155 I almost guarantee the part number I listed will be compatible with it, but I can only do the final check on that if I have a solid CPU and Motherboard selection.

If you have a computer with a legal copy of XP or Vista already, I would suggest that you get a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Upgrade CD.

If you are a student, you can get a really cheap copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit full version through a special microsoft program or through your school.

Otherwise, you will need to get a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Retail CD.

g-unit1111

Titan
How are the AMD Phantom II fx http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103913 any better? i was orginally going to get an i5-2500k but was told by a few people AMD preformed better. What motherboard would you reccomend to go with the i5-2500k if i were to go that route.

I don't know where you're getting that info from but that's totally incorrect. On just about every benchmark, any SB processor will far outperform any AMD CPU. Plus there is that huge BIOS issue with most AMD boards including the 970 and 990FX not supporting the CPUs out of the box, You have to have an older AMD CPU and then flash the BIOS in order to install the new chip.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
lol i was dead set with the intell i5 2500k but got convinced on another forum otherwise. Thats half the reason i posted on here is just to see what others thought before i bought anything. Im open to all recommendations for a motherboard to go with an intell and anything else i need. Im just trying to get the best bang for my buck. And keep it around the price range i got now.

g-unit1111

Titan

The 2500K will be a better bang-for-your-buck as it will give you fewer headaches than the AMD FX will. The FX - I'm not gonna say it's a total failure but it was a good experiment. If it didn't have those BIOS issues I think it could have been a viable competitor to SB and SB-E but the bad things with it far outweigh the good.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

i dont really want to get to crazy with prices but im willing to go 50 bucks more on the motherboard if its really worth the 50 bucks to get the better one. If theres really not much of a difference then its not worth it. I just mainly want to get the most powerful gaming rig i can possibly for around 1k without having to upgrade it for a bit.

The one I chose is fine as long as everything else is either as I mentioned or what you originally mentioned for anything that I didn't mention.

In this case, I don't think it is necessary to pay the $50 more.

Asrock has a much shorter track record than the gigabyte brand and they aren't generally considered to be equal in quality, but if you go with Asrock you generally get more board for the same money.

In this case, you probably won't notice much of a difference, but purely on spec the Asrock is the better looking deal as long as you don't factor in intangible things.

g-unit1111

Titan

IMO, Asrock's track record is where I have the hardest time recommending them. I'll recommend most of their boards in lower-end builds but if the OP is willing to pay for a quality board like the Gigabyte I recommended then that's where it would be worth it.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Alright, i will take a look around at some of the gigabyte boards. Any other brand worth looking into? or you guys just reccomend the gigabytes the most?

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
computerbuild.png
This is where im at not. Minus the motherboard, havent the hardest time choosing for some reason. This price isnt bad trying to keep it under 1k. Might just get a 500gb hard drive instead of the 1tb. Rather have a tb but it will save me 60 bucks. I could use on something else.