Closed Solved

Will GTX 460 1g bottle neck my cpu?

Hello,

I want to get a GTX 460 to replace a 9800gt. I need to know if my cpu will bottleneck the new card. I'm using a INtel Core2 Q9300 @2.50gz processor.

If the GTX 460 does bottleneck the cpu what other card would be a good upgrade?
I have a 700 watt power supply.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will bottle neck
  1. no bottleneck it would be fine your cpu is stronger enough
  2. GTX460 1GB (non SE) is almost twice as fast as your old 9800GT. your cpu is fine but you might need to overclock your cpu a bit
  3. It would be a good match up, but as renz said, OC your CPU if you feel comfortable doing so.
  4. I really don't want to OC my cpu....just yet. I just want my pc to handle new games for the next 3 years and I'm hoping the GTX460 will do the trick. How much of a bottleneck do you think I will have?
    My second thought my motherboard supports ntune sooo I will play with it and get it up to speed.
  5. given today standards GTX460 is a mid range gpu. GTX460 is bare minimum you need if you play at 1080p. honestly i don't think GTX460 will last for 3 years but if you don't mind play games with lower details you should be good for a while. on the cpu side it is better if you can push it around 3ghz+.
  6. if you can then you should get a nvidia gts 450 2 gb it will be better as you would not need to make any changes to he system tower and it can play games at good resolution ..................however gtx 460 is quite a heavy load for the processor you have
  7. SWTORgamer said:
    I really don't want to OC my cpu....just yet. I just want my pc to handle new games for the next 3 years and I'm hoping the GTX460 will do the trick. How much of a bottleneck do you think I will have?
    My second thought my motherboard supports ntune sooo I will play with it and get it up to speed.

about 5% bottleneck but isn't too bad.
  8. you cpu is good dont overclock it if you dont like
  9. mohit_king said:
    if you can then you should get a nvidia gts 450 2 gb it will be better as you would not need to make any changes to he system tower and it can play games at good resolution ..................however gtx 460 is quite a heavy load for the processor you have

He IS NOT better off with gts 450.. He wants his card to be still playable in 3 years.

To the OP: What resolution do you plan playing on?
  10. mohit_king said:
    if you can then you should get a nvidia gts 450 2 gb it will be better as you would not need to make any changes to he system tower and it can play games at good resolution ..................however gtx 460 is quite a heavy load for the processor you have

GTS450 can give you good performance if you play at 1680x1050 and below. but personally i don't think 9800GT to GTS450 is a big upgrade. not to mention he want the new card to last ofr 3 years. btw 2GB of RAM on GTS450 is useless
  11. pro-gamer said:
    about 5% bottleneck but isn't too bad.

Thank you for the information. I will hold off on OC my cpu.
  12. Sunius said:
    He IS NOT better off with gts 450.. He wants his card to be still playable in 3 years.

To the OP: What resolution do you plan playing on?

I'm ok with 1280X1024. I'm hoping for more though.
  13. Best answer
    don't be in a tention you will be fine with gtx460.
  14. Thank you all for the feedback! I just bought EVGA Geforce gtx 460 from amazon for $135 with the rebate. Cheers and happy gaming.
  15. Just installed the GTX 460! OMG all my games are soooo fast and sharp now! No problems installing the 2.0 pci-e express into my pci-e 1.0 express slot. I am glad my Power Supply had the two 6-pin PCI express power connectors ready to go for the GTX 460.
  16. Best answer selected by SWTORgamer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Bottleneck CPUs Graphics