G

I just completed building my first pc last weekend. It is an Athlon 1 gig on the Asus A7V MB, with 256 megs, Plextor 12 X 10 X 32 Internal CDR, Sound Blaster Live, Guillemot Hercules 3D Prophet II Pro and WD 40 GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 Hard Drive. I am running Win 98.

I had a probllem last night when trying to copy a cd. I was using Nero and it locked up, so I gave it the old 3 finger salute and did an end task on Nero. Windows was still locked so I gave it the salute again to see what had quit responding and the pc rebooted instead. It would not boot to windows, saying it could not read the c: drive. So, I did a scan disk and it found errors on the disk surface. Here's where it gets bad....the version of scandisk that was running did not give me the option to automatically fix errors, so I had to hit enter at each error to correct it. I did that for 2 hours before I finally gave up....over 150 errors! Is there a dos utility I can use to scan and fix these automatically? The drive is only one week old, should I be concerned about having so many errors on the disk surface so soon?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Bad sectors doesn't really mean the drive is bad but for some reason or another the data on the drive is corrupted. I would suggest getting WD's Diag tool to see if there is anything wrong with the drive. After that I would run a LLF on the drive or a format/u C: to get all the data on the drive and re-install. If you don't want to do that I would goto http://www.inspectorsoftware.com and get there Inspector Diag utility that will diagnose bad sectors and give you the option to write a zero to that sector.

Other then that someone might have some other thing you can try! I hope that helps though!

Lates!

Lars Coleman