Budget Range: Up to $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (SC2, Diablo 3), School

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: Nvidia video card and Intel CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This build is for my nephew. He doesn't know much about computer therefore I am helping him. I build computer myself but am not an expert. I know that Ivy Bridge is coming out but is it necessary to wait for it as it won't be release until April 2012. He needs this computer by the end of this month. This is what I came up with after doing some research and looking at other build from this website and other website. Hopefully this build is good and compatible with one another. I am hoping to get the best for the money. Any help is appreciated.

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ytq
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ytq/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($158.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($20.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1276.40
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-01-23 01:06 EST-0500)

Solution
The copy of Windows is not legal.

The System Builder OEM licenses clearly say that they are not legal for computers that you build yourself for your own personal use.

If the nephew is a student and has a student email address, you can get a very cheap copy of Windows 7 Professional Full Version through his school or through an online Microsoft Student tool.

If he already has a computer with XP or Vista on it that he will quit using, he could get a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Upgrade CD for the same cost as the OEM CD.

Otherwise, per Microsoft the legal CD for a homebuilt computer you will use yourself is a regular retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64.

Nitpicky details...

RAM - I would rather see you get this ram...
The copy of Windows is not legal.

The System Builder OEM licenses clearly say that they are not legal for computers that you build yourself for your own personal use.

If the nephew is a student and has a student email address, you can get a very cheap copy of Windows 7 Professional Full Version through his school or through an online Microsoft Student tool.

If he already has a computer with XP or Vista on it that he will quit using, he could get a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Upgrade CD for the same cost as the OEM CD.

Otherwise, per Microsoft the legal CD for a homebuilt computer you will use yourself is a regular retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64.

Nitpicky details...

RAM - I would rather see you get this ram CT2KIT51264BA1339 or this ram CT2KIT51264BA160B instead. They have lower failure rates and RAM is one of the biggest causes of new build failure.

SSD - Corsair doesn't have the best SSD reputation, but at least it isn't as bad as OCZ. Crucial M4s are much higher quality.

PSU - XFX Pro 650w Core would be better and cheaper.

Solution

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I've got 3 copies of Windows 7 Home Prem. and the Microsoft police haven't arrested me yet. I homebuilt all o my computers and the software works fine after many months of being activated.
As for the student discount on Win 7, that's worth looking into.

All the same, we can only advise people about legal courses of action here on TH.

Whether or not they will act on an illegal action doesn't make the illegal thing any less illegal.

If you want to advise people about how to pirate Windows, go do it on a warez site or something where the side owners don't disallow that sort of thing.

gn3s

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
What if I buy it and build this PC and sell the PC to him for $1.00. Would that be legal?

Is there any other ram with 1600 speed or does it not matter?
I like the SSD and PSU you listed. Looks good.

I guess you could get away with that, as long as you agree to do all his tech support for any question he has.

Benchmark testing with real world applications has shown a negligible difference between 2133 and 1333 RAM and that is a much bigger difference than between 1600 and 1333. The 2133 was faster by less than 1% on some things like zip archiving and exactly the same on things like gaming.

The 1333 is also more likely to work right away with no configuration required.

gn3s

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Okay that's good. For all I know, the only game that he will be installing so far is SC2 and later Diablo 3. Thanks again Raiddinn for your time and help. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.