2500k/Artic Silver 5 Question

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I just got some Artic Silver 5,still have stock fan.Before I had it at 3.5 with Paste that came with it didnt have temp problems.Now I get this use the Vertical Line method that is from Silvers site and my temps are hitting 69c while playing Battlefield 3 while before the highest was 66c if my room got hot..What gives?

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If your temps are hotter than previously then one of two things is wrong. One, you didn't tighten down the cooler well, or two, you put too much thermal paste on, or applied and uneven coat. Remove your CPU cooler and inspect the application, if coverage is poor fix it, if not reseat and retighten your heat sink.

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
ok i have redone AS5 3/4 times now and the last time it hit 82c immediately,i really dont get it,i have looked at pictures,videos.I know the stock cooler is seated properly.I am lost as to what im doing wrong.

Uther39

Distinguished

Easy, not cleaning the old paste off properly, you said yourself that you cleaned the old stuff off with toilet paper only, well my friend thats not enough, as each time you are leaving a thin film of old paste behind, as you need either Tim cleaner or some kind of alcohol cleaning wipes, the latter is what i use.

Make sure that the HSF is REALLY seated properly when you reapply the TIM. With the stock Intel cooler, it may LOOK like it's seated well, and you may think it's ok, but you may still be able to pull the pins out if they're not properly locked in. If you can pull the pins out easily, it's not properly locked down.

Uther39

Distinguished

Another way to make sure you have a properly seated cooler is to ditch the crappy intel set up and buy an aftermarket cooler that uses screws and a back plate like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Where did you get that number from? I don't mean to be contrary, I just wonder. Is it 200 hours after application, 200 hours at temperature x, or what?

Supposedly, it's 200 hours after application, but if you ask around, you'll get a myriad of opinions on whether or not it actually makes a difference. The general consensus is that it's, at most, a 1-3C difference, but my own personal experience shows no difference at all.