jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hello,

I'm putting together a new build and recently purchased the i5 3570 Ivy Bridge processor and the Hyper 212 EVO that I am planning to use instead of the stock cooler. I'm planning to do some gaming on this and possibly overclock in the future but not right away (and if I do overclock it will be some mild overclocking - nothing too crazy - I mostly want to try it since I've never done it before).

I know that the Ivy Bridge processors don't typically overclock as well as the Sandy Bridge ones, so is it even worth putting in a cooler like the EVO if I may not even overclock? Should I just stick with the stock cooler then?

If I do decide to go with the EVO I'm a little worried about not putting the thermal paste on correctly (even though I've read a lot about it online). Some people say you should do the vertical line on the processor, others say you should do two vertical lines on the cooler itself, and others say go with the small dot of thermal paste on the processor. Anyone had any experience with these two items together and have any input?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Solution
if you have the evo, use it even if you wont overclock at all, its allot better than stock cooling.

Just a dot not bigger than a pea. Dont put too much then the cpu will overheat.

night wolf

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
if you have the evo, use it even if you wont overclock at all, its allot better than stock cooling.

Just a dot not bigger than a pea. Dont put too much then the cpu will overheat.

Solution

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I will most likely try overclocking at some point, and since the EVO will be much better than the stock cooler, I think I will stick with the EVO. I was just worried about how to install it with the right amount of thermal paste (i.e. do I need to fill any of the tiny gaps on the EVO with thermal paste before I attach it to the CPU). I've never used thermal paste before and I'm nervous about applying too much or too little and breaking something in my system!

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Great to hear. I went with this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643

I'm glad to hear that you were able to overclock it. I'm hoping to try some overclocking myself after a while I think, which is why I bought the Hyper 212 EVO.

When you installed the Hyper 212, did you put the thermal paste on the CPU, the 212 itself, or both? And if you put it on the CPU, did you apply any to the 212 to fill in any small crevices before applying it to the CPU?

TRENDING THREADS