Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenless

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
OK I am building a gaming PC (surprise surprise) but I am a complete n00b at this. I have looked around and I have a list of parts so I need some advice if I have messed something up

In no particular order:

CPU:
i7-2600k

Motherboard:
http://www.amazon.com/P8P67-Motherboards-PRO-REV-3-1/dp/B004ZJ14NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327304217&sr=8-1

Graphics Card:
Radeon 6950 2gb (planning on getting another one later. Is it worth it?)

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4gb

Cooling:
Scyth Mugen 3

PSU:
CP-850

Case:
DF-85

SSD:
Ocz 60 Vertex 3

HDD:
WD 500 GB SATA III

Is this a good setup or a complete fail, because i truly don't know.
Thanks. :)

Solution
Ja its ok, but here are some things to consider:

1) Ivy bridge is just around the corner, so in a few months your i7 will be obsolete.

2) The AMD 7xxx series have just been released, (well the 7970 has) and so you can basically call your 6950 outdated...

3) I dont know how much storage you use but 500 GB is quite small nowdays! Everyone has at least 1TB...

4) Your cooling is essential! So while there is nothing wrong with the Scyth Mugen 3, I will never reccomend it! Get somthing like the Thermaltake Frio which is known to be excellent :)

5) DO NOT BUY THE DF-85!!! It is one of the worst cases you can buy! judging by your choice of a full tower case, I would reccomend somthing like the Aerocool XPredator...

6) As it is a gaming...

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
From what I've gathered from this forum, most people would probably advise you to get a i5-2500k to save money. Don't think you will lose performance by dropping down from a i7-2600k. Everything else looks good.

Greenless

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Sweet! Thanks for the advice!

johnny_2bags

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
How many games do you play? You may want to get a bigger hard drive if you do have lots of games. My Steam folder is 428 GB is why I ask LOL I run a 60 GB OS SSD, a 3 TB "shared folder" drive, and a 1 TB "programs" drive. If you have the extra hundred bucks to spend, get the 2600K as well; it is so nice! Or get the 2500K and spend that hundred on more hard drive.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Ja its ok, but here are some things to consider:

1) Ivy bridge is just around the corner, so in a few months your i7 will be obsolete.

2) The AMD 7xxx series have just been released, (well the 7970 has) and so you can basically call your 6950 outdated...

3) I dont know how much storage you use but 500 GB is quite small nowdays! Everyone has at least 1TB...

4) Your cooling is essential! So while there is nothing wrong with the Scyth Mugen 3, I will never reccomend it! Get somthing like the Thermaltake Frio which is known to be excellent :)

5) DO NOT BUY THE DF-85!!! It is one of the worst cases you can buy! judging by your choice of a full tower case, I would reccomend somthing like the Aerocool XPredator...

6) As it is a gaming rig, I would also like to point out that you are only as good as your equipment allows you to be, so get yourself some decent peripherals, like a RAT 7, etc.

7) There is also a lack of a screen on your list... unless you have somthing reasonable, for gaming I would reccomend at least 22', 1080p, 2ms responce time AMD CONNECT IT VIA A GOOD HDMI CABLE!!! SOO many people forget that! But only get a screen like this if you intend to play FPS, as playing WoW or a strategy on anything smaller than a 24' is quite a disadvantage...

I speek from experience, so take these things into consideration please... Also, if you are dead set on it, then just wait a few months until the next gen of CPUs and GPUs come out, as the price will drop severely, and you will feel like a knob for wasting your money...

Hope this helps! :sol:

Solution

Greenless

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks I will look into all of your suggestions!
Any suggestions on a screen?

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Most hard drives are the same, BUT Western Digital seems to always stand out in most areas of preformance and reliability...
also, if i were in your position, i would go for the Samsung BX2450... excellent preformance, and a joy to live with in my experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.