Your question

I3 2100 vs amd phenom ii x4 965 BE for gaming

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 5, 2012 9:12:58 PM

Topic. I'm building my pc soon and I was just wondering what's better for gaming.

My other parts so far are
Radeon 6850
4gb/8gb of dd3r ram (not sure yet)
1tb hard drive.
600w psu

I would also appreciate a MoBo suggestion for whichever one you pick, but it's not necessary. Thanks so much!

*if it helps the games I intend on playing are skyrim, bf3, dawn of war, guild wars and stuff in that range. No crysis 2.

More about : 2100 amd phenom 965 gaming

May 5, 2012 9:26:59 PM

965 + Asus M5A97. A full fat quad core is always better than a dual. OC that 965 to 3.8GHz and up the Northbridge and you are set till Piledriver. A 6870 would have been better in my opinion though.
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:28:58 PM

Thats what I was hoping for. How much more would the 6870 cost?
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 9:35:45 PM

Smeg45 said:
965 + Asus M5A97. A full fat quad core is always better than a dual. OC that 965 to 3.8GHz and up the Northbridge and you are set till Piledriver. A 6870 would have been better in my opinion though.

Incorrect. At 4Ghz the Phenom 9xx chips trade blows with a stock i3 2100. The Phenom II while a decent processor competes with Core2 clock for clock. The second gen i3/i5/i7 chips are about 40% faster clock for clock.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Read the whole article.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2012 10:06:12 PM

Your Article shows the Phenom II @ 4GHZ BEATING the i3 in 2 of the 3 games tested. The one it loses in is by 1 FPS!

@ the OP

I'd take the Phenom II for the reasons shown in the charts the guy above linked and the facts that an AM3+ board will give you more features at less cost and if you play BF3 multiplayer it will enjoy that quad core over the dual toms charts are of BF3 singleplayer if you look around for actual multiplayer benches you will see this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 10:12:47 PM

At least 1155 offers better gaming upgrade path.
-Bruce
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:18:21 PM

dish_moose said:
-Bruce

Actually the AM3+ will allow you to use a piledriver
m
l
a c 487 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 10:51:21 PM

madooo12 said:

At best, Piledriver is only going to be as fast as a 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPU; that's assuming AMD can manage a 10% increase in performance over Bulldozer.

2nd gen Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 are about 12% faster than the 1st gen. Ivy Bridge is the 3rd gen and is on average about 3% faster than the Sandy Bridge CPUs. Therefore, when Piledriver comes out that series of CPUs will be about 15% slower than the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Getting a Core i3-2100 now will give comparable gaming performance vs. the Phenom II X4 965 and a better future upgrade path. Intel's socket 1155 is about 1 year away from being terminated since Haswell (socket 1150) is expected to be released around March 2013. Socket AM3+ will probably live to the end of 2014, since AMD has nothing planned after Piledriver. They will likely cease all consumer level CPUs and just focus on their APU series. They will still offer CPUs for servers though.
m
l
a c 94 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 11:00:45 PM

madooo12 said:

well since bulldozer is a downgrade from a phenom II per-clock, piledriver may bring it back up to par with a phenom II. And by then, intel's offerings will be so far ahead its not funny. The only thing AMD can do is reduce prices to compete. I wouldn't be ssurprised if they ditch the piledriver idea, and instead present us with a die shrunk, tweaked 8 core phenom II. I know would much prefer that. If AMD keeps giving us crap they will lose more and more customers like myself.
m
l
a c 487 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 5, 2012 11:06:34 PM

Actually, AMD's Steamroller CPU core may be released for socket AM3+ sometime in 2014. The core will definitely be used in their 3rd gen APU series known as Kaveri (likely to be socket FM2) which is coming out next year.

Therefore, there is life for socket AM3+ after Piledriver. AMD expects a 5% - 15% improvement over Piledriver. That means in 2014 the Steamroller series of CPUs can potentially be as fast as Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs.
m
l
May 5, 2012 11:40:07 PM

i3 would be better. Its a better processor vs non overclocked amd, it uses way less power than amd, and don't listen to the guy who tried to tell you adding multiplayer will change the benchmark - if it's not using 4 cores in any benchmark, its not going to magic 2 more cores when someone joins a game.

I have a 965 in my current build because at the time the 920 intel was too much money for the performance gain. Right now though, theres nothing AMD has that beats intel in anything, unless you're building a mini itx slim case with no graphics card on a $300 budget - if that's the case then get an APU.

Plus you don't want to run your 965 @ 4ghz all the time anyways, if you can even keep it stable there, I know I can't and I've got 12 120mm fans in my case - heat is not the issue - not to mention you'll burn out the processor and highly increase the chance of damaging the motherboard voltage regulator my running more than 125w through it all the time.

Just not worth it, motherboards and processor cost are no longer a valid reason to buy AMD. Do not buy AMD.
m
l
a c 94 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2012 3:01:34 AM

dkcomputer said:
i3 would be better. Its a better processor vs non overclocked amd, it uses way less power than amd, and don't listen to the guy who tried to tell you adding multiplayer will change the benchmark - if it's not using 4 cores in any benchmark, its not going to magic 2 more cores when someone joins a game.

really? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1654043
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 10:21:14 AM

dkcomputer said:

I have a 965 in my current build because at the time the 920 intel was too much money for the performance gain. Right now though, theres nothing AMD has that beats intel in anything, unless you're building a mini itx slim case with no graphics card on a $300 budget - if that's the case then get an APU.

Plus you don't want to run your 965 @ 4ghz all the time anyways, if you can even keep it stable there, I know I can't and I've got 12 120mm fans in my case - heat is not the issue - not to mention you'll burn out the processor and highly increase the chance of damaging the motherboard voltage regulator my running more than 125w through it all the time.

Just not worth it, motherboards and processor cost are no longer a valid reason to buy AMD. Do not buy AMD.

http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanaly...

Read that multiplayer doesnt like a quad? Check your facts before you sound stupid

And if you cant keep your Deneb stable at or near 4GHZ your incompetent. If your overvolting it to the point of danger also your incompetent.

Quote:

Sure right now it does if he plans to replace the i3 in under 12 months, I doubt he plans to do that not many people buy a CPU for such a short term. After 12 months your going to see haswell and a different socket so this arguement is mute or rather 1155 is a DEAD socket after IB. AM3+ will go to Piledriver and possibly beyond so the socket has a longer life.

The OP asked WHICH CPU is better for gaming.... heck even an Intel Fanbaby (accidentally) linked a set of charts showing of the 2 the Phenom has more potentiol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 10:27:53 AM

I would say the phenom II is the better choice because of the native quad core which will have better support as time goes on. You would be able play any game that plays well on the i3 if you had the phenom but if the game uses 4 cores effectively like bf3 multiplayer and more games coming out, the i3 just would perform much worse than the phenom.

Upgrade path from an i3 would be an i7 thats out now. For the phenom, it seems like even 2 years from now AMD will release new cpu that are compatible with the current socket. Might be better than the current i7s, might not be.

i3 will give you better power consumption and better gaming performance if you don't OC.
m
l
a c 238 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 6, 2012 3:42:08 PM

wr6133 said:
http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanaly...

Read that multiplayer doesnt like a quad? Check your facts before you sound stupid

And if you cant keep your Deneb stable at or near 4GHZ your incompetent. If your overvolting it to the point of danger also your incompetent.

Quote:

Sure right now it does if he plans to replace the i3 in under 12 months, I doubt he plans to do that not many people buy a CPU for such a short term. After 12 months your going to see haswell and a different socket so this arguement is mute or rather 1155 is a DEAD socket after IB. AM3+ will go to Piledriver and possibly beyond so the socket has a longer life.

The OP asked WHICH CPU is better for gaming.... heck even an Intel Fanbaby (accidentally) linked a set of charts showing of the 2 the Phenom has more potentiol.

I'm a fanboy for showing emperical evidence that Intel is so far ahead that their 3.1Ghz $120 65w dual core chip trades blows with AMD's $120 140w quad after it has been overclocked to 4Ghz ?......Oh yeah don't forget to add at least a $30 Hyper 212+ to that AMD chip making it a $150 investment. Let's not even mention you almost can't even find Phenom IIs anymore. That makes me a fanboy? Or that makes you an idiot? I'm pretty sure it's the latter since when AMD made a superior product ( you might remember 2004-2006 ? ) I had an AMD system.

Did you happen to actually read that article? I doubt it so here are the important parts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

" If the above chart presents any surprises, they'd be the dual-core Pentium G630 and G860, which perform incredibly well, matching up to AMD's former Phenom II X4 955 flagship. At $80 and $100 respectively, both Sandy Bridge-based Pentiums boldly snatch the budget gaming CPU recommendation from the Athlon II CPUs we’re used to seeing dominate this segment. Granted, AMD's lowest-priced models are starting to go extinct as the company's APUs gain prominence anyway. "

" With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.

While it’s true that AMD’s multiplier-unlocked models appeal to tweak-happy power users, the company's overclocked game performance manages to either hang close to or fall just behind Intel's stock Core i3-2100. Pumping up voltage, multipliers, and, consequently, power usage seems like a futile exercise just to keep pace with an efficient $125 budget-oriented chip running at its default settings. "

" AMD’s Phenom II X4 955 and FX-4100 could certainly appeal to buyers who insist on the ability to handle four threads at a time. At their $125 and $110 respective price points, however, they’re too close to the Hyper-Threaded Core i3-2100 to earn a distinguished recommendation. In our last sub-$200 gaming CPU round-up, we showed that the Core i3-2100 can match AMD's Phenom II X4 955, even while background tasks run in parallel with a game. So, we couldn't even speculate that Intel's Core-i3 2100 might disappoint in a real-world environment with applications running in the background.

Interestingly, the best gaming value in AMD's FX family is its affordable FX-4100. Neither the FX-6100 nor the FX-8120 offer an advantage over this $110 model. Otherwise, things look bleak for AMD enthusiasts hunting for a new gaming rig. You can make the argument that the frame rates offered by FX and Phenom II processors are sufficient, but that's a tough stand to take in light of the competitive benchmarks. Let's be clear; in GPU-bound games, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But, to be perfectly frank, Intel's processors are the obvious choice in titles that do demonstrate reliance on host processing power. It simply doesn’t make sense to spend more for less. And, in many games, high-end AMD processors demonstrate a quantifiable performance deficit compared to the Core i3-2100. For $190, a stock Core i5-2400 gets you more gaming prowess than any AMD CPU can hope to deliver right now, even overclocked."

I know I know fanboys everywhere. That article does not show what I wanted to see so it's not true blah blah blah.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 8:33:36 PM

I don't see how they ended up with that conclusion when the test of the background task active should the phenom pull ahead. Where there wasn't even much difference in the first place.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 7:47:18 AM

Phenom II, i3 is for entry level setups, having a expensive future ready board with a low end chip is a waste of money, you buy for the now not for the then, as that more often than not works out more expensive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 12:19:09 PM

Mal, I am shocked we have to say yes, I was expecting one anyways.

m
l
October 1, 2012 8:36:14 AM

I have both Cpu's I3-2100 & P-II x4 970 it's confusing when I see so much review's in favoir of I3 & test,bench that say I3 is the winer,but in reality that's not the case,both config's are paired with 2x4gb HyperX Genesis 1600 9-9-9-27 in dual chanel & ASUS 6870 DC + WD Black sata3 500gb & Win7-SP1/64bit,nothing is overcloked & Phenom's based config performs much better in games & almost in everything!
m
l
November 12, 2012 5:03:05 PM

Thanks marian, esti roman?
Seems than AnaNDTECH are a little bit sponsoredd..or they are just honest fanboys
m
l
!