Using Windows 7 Upgrade on new build with OLD hard drive

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all,

So I'm building a new computer completely from scratch, save for the hard drive, which I'm recycling from my old system. The hard drive currently has Windows XP installed.

My question is, can I upgrade the system with this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116773

Also, I plan to eventually buy a new hard drive. This presents a dilemma, because at the moment I can only afford the OEM or Upgrade versions of Windows 7. I read an article on PC World that claims there is a way to do a clean installation of Windows 7 using an Upgrade license. Here's the article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/174288/windows_7_upgrade_made_cheaper.html?tk=rss_news

Anyways, is that method still valid? Have any of you guys heard of it before?

I'm considering buying the Upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium, but I do not want to make the purchase only to realize later that I can not use it.

Really, I'm just looking for a solution. The only thing keeping me from buying Windows 7 OEM is the installation limits (can only install on one computer per license). When I get my new hard drive, I'd like to be able to use whatever version of Windows 7 that I own on it.

Any suggestions?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can use an Upgrade version to a clean install easily. First, install Win 7 without activating or entering the product key. Do no updates (I wouldn't even connect to the network). Then boot into Win 7 and then insert the Win 7 DVD and start the Upgrade process, enter your product key when asked.

Essentially, you install twice. There are some hacks out that work around this, but what I recommended is the easiest.

Keep in mind that you can't upgrade directly from XP to Win 7 and you can't upgrade a 32-bit installation to a 64-bit installation.

OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard and not the HDD, BTW.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

COLGeek

Cybernaut
+1 to area51reopened regarding the proper upgrade version. I didn't look at your link. Those anytime upgrade versions only work for a lesser level, activated install of Win 7 to a higher level of Win 7. So if you had Starter and wanted to move up to Home Premium you can do that, for example.