Very slow new build

wozza_c

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I built myself a new machine at the weekend from a mixture of new and second hand parts acquired on Ebay. The machine is running without errors but feels very sluggish for the spec that it has. The components are;

i5-2500K (not O/C'd)
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
8Gb DDR3 1600
500Gb 7200RPM HDD
OCZ 650W PSU

I purchased a GT440 Graphics card, but this appears to be faulty so is not currently part of the system.

I ran a PassMark test yesterday and got a system score of 1463 which has confirmed my thoughts.

Can you please give me any advice as to how to troubleshoot where the root of this low speed is?

Thanks

wozza_c

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Cheers for that.

I have downloaded CPU-Z and can see that at idle the CPU drops down to around 1.6GHz, but it automatically raises to 3.3 when under load. I assume that this is an auto-throttling feature.

Im pretty sure that all 4 cores are active as i get a reading on them when i bring up the task manager.

Both the CPU and Motherboard were second-hand components but i cant think of a situation where you would just get reduced performance if either parts were faulty. The memory & PSU are both new.

I will have a look at the BIOS settings tonight, as perhaps there are some residual settings from the previous owner which is causing the glut. Perhaps a CMOS reset will do the trick?

Has anyone else seen anything odd like this?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Correct. And yes, if you are seeing activity in task manager then all cores will be active.

CMOS reset is certainly worth a try. It's likely some motherboard settings will be hindering your performance.