Solved

Need opinion on Power Supply

I'm putting together this system:

Asus P8Z77 V Pro
Core i5-2500k @ 4 Ghz
2 sticks of DDR3
Up to eight (8) WD Caviar black 7200RPM disks
Areca ARC-1222 pciX8 Raid controller
MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256EZ (transferred from old system)
Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD
Ceton Infinitv 4 pciX cabletuner card
About 2 80mm fans, of course mouse + keyboard, and occasionally 1 other USB device

I would use this system for video editing but rarely ever gaming (hence the low end graphics card)

When I use the online calculators it comes out around 450W. This seems impossibly low considering 8 power hungry hard drives but it usually breaks down to 150W for the disks and 300 for everything else. So I picked up the OCZ ModXstream 600W which is a modular psu for only $45 after rebate. Always wanted to try modular and love a deal.

Here's my decision: Should I stay with the OCZ, should I pull out the Antec Neo Eco 620c from my old system which I am stripping down (I do love the quietness of that PSU) or should I go for another PSU completely?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need opinion power supply
  1. The OCZ 600W PSU will work fine.
  2. I have a Corsair GS600 and it is perfect!
  3. raventerp said:
    I'm putting together this system:

Asus P8Z77 V Pro
    Core i5-2500k @ 4 Ghz
    2 sticks of DDR3
    Up to eight (8) WD Caviar black 7200RPM disks
    Areca ARC-1222 pciX8 Raid controller
    MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256EZ (transferred from old system)
    Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD
    Ceton Infinitv 4 pciX cabletuner card
    About 2 80mm fans, of course mouse + keyboard, and occasionally 1 other USB device

I would use this system for video editing but rarely ever gaming (hence the low end graphics card)

When I use the online calculators it comes out around 450W. This seems impossibly low considering 8 power hungry hard drives but it usually breaks down to 150W for the disks and 300 for everything else. So I picked up the OCZ ModXstream 600W which is a modular psu for only $45 after rebate. Always wanted to try modular and love a deal.

Here's my decision: Should I stay with the OCZ, should I pull out the Antec Neo Eco 620c from my old system which I am stripping down (I do love the quietness of that PSU) or should I go for another PSU completely?

you have a low end gpu so you won't need much power.a quality 550w like xfx core pro 550w is a great deal-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550w
  4. The problem with either of those two PSUs is that neither of them have 8 SATA connectors, so if you want to power eight HDDs you'll have to use 4pin peripheral to SATA adapters.
  5. If you already have the Neo Eco 620W, then use it. It's a good quality PSU, pocket the extra money. If you really want the OCZ for the modular cable, then get the OCZ 500W...it's more than sufficient and costs $10 less after rebate.
  6. Best answer
    your set up is using 425 watts. the problem is you have 8 HDs (thats up to 80 watts itself!) but it not a good idea to go overboard on the wattage for a PSU. folks seem to overlook at idle it is better that a PSU has a +15% load so it doesn't get hot.

to "smallest" PSUs i found that has 8 stata connections:
    OCZ ZS Series 550W 80PLUS Bronze $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341047
    Jonny Guru Review:
    Reviews - OCZ ZS 550W
    Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182131
    AnandTech Review:
    Rosewill Hive 550W
    the OCZ is $44.99 after mail-in rebate card but $3.99 Shipping
    the Rosewll is free shipping w/o a rebate.

EDIT: i just realized you need another sata power connection to the SSD making 9 total . .poop!
    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W $69.99 A BARGAIN!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
    SATA Power Connector 9

a little high for wattage but that is a DEAL!!
  7. Like Silvune stated the number of connector's is the issue, not the amount of power.
    Even a psu with 9 sata connectors ( need 10 if you're going to have an optical drive ) will have you using adapters, up to 3 depending on the case layout.
    I made the mistake of ordering a NeoEco620 for a system in a LianLi PC A70 that ended up with a total of 11 drives, had to use 3 adapters, what mess.
    The M12II reccomended by looniam is a good choice if you don't want to use adapters, because you can get extra modular sata cables to make up the difference
    http://www.moddiy.com/products/PcCooler-Modular-PSU-5%252dPin-to-3-x-SATA-Sleeved-Cable-%2885cm%29.html
  8. I do have the molex-sata adapters so that isn't a big problem but the modular sleeved cable that delluser recommended would be nice.

I think I overestimated my needs because I read that 1) hard drives use a huge amount of power when they first spin up and 2) get at least 50-100w more than you need to allow room for expandability. That's why I was spec'ing well over 500w to be on the safe side. Probably not necessary though.

The seasonic does look nice. If I ever need an optical drive I can use a USB one. Also, I'm not set on an 8 disk RAID. It's taking a long time to tests these disks so I am thinking twice about it.
  9. I found the M12II open box for the same $70 price tag. It's slightly more ($10-20) than I wanted to spend and slightly more wattage (20-70) than I need to get, but otherwise it's perfect for my needs.
  10. Best answer selected by raventerp.
  11. sweet, good find and thanks; glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product