Digital photo management

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 15, 2005 8:09:04 PM

I am exhausted! Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album hangs consistently on a
right click. I have deleted and reinstalled, I have tried most of what
I can think of, but I have now lost the ability to organize photos with
this product; there is absolutely no way to right-click and create a
new folder.

I like the tool normally, it has some nice features, but often it will
go off into the boonies and just consume masses of CPU time with no
product, nor does it tell you what it is doing - you must guess. That
is what it does now, it chews up CPU time and does nothing. I let it
run for fifteen minutes or so on the offchance but nothing happened.

I am using XP Professional on a 2.8 GHz PIV with 1 GB memory. I have
been working with digital photos for years and my current on-line
collection is around 12,000 pictures of all shapes and sizes organized
into a heirarchy of hundreds of folders.

Can anyone recommend a professional product that can manage digital
pictures reliably? I am willing to pay well for a product that is
reliable and well maintained.

Thanks - Lawrence
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:35:55 PM

check the free space on (the HD that contains the "pagefile.sys" file) your hard
drive. photo editing software may require loads of free hard drive space to run
and access images properly i.e free space should be at 40%+ of the total HD
space. In fact, you may want to add an additional drive and then change the
location of your "pagefile.sys" file to the added drive as well as use the NEW
drive as your primary scratch disk!

What partition/hard drive configuration do you have?

--
There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
Remove *flaps* to reply

"Lawrence" <Lawrence.Hare@Verizon.net> wrote in message
> I am exhausted! Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album hangs consistently on a
> right click. I have deleted and reinstalled, I have tried most of what
> I can think of, but I have now lost the ability to organize photos with
> this product; there is absolutely no way to right-click and create a
> new folder.
>
> I like the tool normally, it has some nice features, but often it will
> go off into the boonies and just consume masses of CPU time with no
> product, nor does it tell you what it is doing - you must guess. That
> is what it does now, it chews up CPU time and does nothing. I let it
> run for fifteen minutes or so on the offchance but nothing happened.
>
> I am using XP Professional on a 2.8 GHz PIV with 1 GB memory. I have
> been working with digital photos for years and my current on-line
> collection is around 12,000 pictures of all shapes and sizes organized
> into a heirarchy of hundreds of folders.
>
> Can anyone recommend a professional product that can manage digital
> pictures reliably? I am willing to pay well for a product that is
> reliable and well maintained.
>
> Thanks - Lawrence

May 16, 2005 1:06:41 AM

Lawrence wrote:
> I am exhausted! Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album hangs consistently on a
> right click. I have deleted and reinstalled, I have tried most of what
> I can think of, but I have now lost the ability to organize photos with
> this product; there is absolutely no way to right-click and create a
> new folder.
>
> I like the tool normally, it has some nice features, but often it will
> go off into the boonies and just consume masses of CPU time with no
> product, nor does it tell you what it is doing - you must guess. That
> is what it does now, it chews up CPU time and does nothing. I let it
> run for fifteen minutes or so on the offchance but nothing happened.
>
> I am using XP Professional on a 2.8 GHz PIV with 1 GB memory. I have
> been working with digital photos for years and my current on-line
> collection is around 12,000 pictures of all shapes and sizes organized
> into a heirarchy of hundreds of folders.
>
> Can anyone recommend a professional product that can manage digital
> pictures reliably? I am willing to pay well for a product that is
> reliable and well maintained.
>
> Thanks - Lawrence

Sure. Photoshop Elements 3.0. Has a few warts, but works pretty well,
overall, and manages my 5000 pictures nicely on a much slower machine.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Lawrence wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a professional product that can manage digital
> pictures reliably? I am willing to pay well for a product that is
> reliable and well maintained.

iView MediaPro:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

--
Regards

John Bean
May 16, 2005 5:36:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems Lawrence. But the problem is most
likely to be something to do with your computer and some other program
stuffing Paintshop up.
I have Photoshop Elements, which crashed 2 out of every 3 times when I
saved edited images. And I know most do not have problems with it. In
desperation I bought Paintshop Pro 9, and it has been a dream!
I guess you could check yours out by taking out one by one the programs
your computer puts into memory?
DonB
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:30:17 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:06:41 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>Lawrence wrote:
>> I am exhausted! Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album hangs consistently on a
>> right click. I have deleted and reinstalled, I have tried most of what
>> I can think of, but I have now lost the ability to organize photos with
>> this product; there is absolutely no way to right-click and create a
>> new folder.
>>
>> I like the tool normally, it has some nice features, but often it will
>> go off into the boonies and just consume masses of CPU time with no
>> product, nor does it tell you what it is doing - you must guess. That
>> is what it does now, it chews up CPU time and does nothing. I let it
>> run for fifteen minutes or so on the offchance but nothing happened.
>>
>> I am using XP Professional on a 2.8 GHz PIV with 1 GB memory. I have
>> been working with digital photos for years and my current on-line
>> collection is around 12,000 pictures of all shapes and sizes organized
>> into a heirarchy of hundreds of folders.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a professional product that can manage digital
>> pictures reliably? I am willing to pay well for a product that is
>> reliable and well maintained.
>>
>> Thanks - Lawrence
>>
>Sure. Photoshop Elements 3.0. Has a few warts, but works pretty well,
>overall, and manages my 5000 pictures nicely on a much slower machine.

I'll second that. The only flaw is that it doesn't show enough file
info. It's good enough in managing the photo files that I left it on
my system when I upgraded the editor to Photoshop CS2.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:15:11 AM

No matter what new digital management software I get or try out, I keep
using Compupic. Compupic's thumbnailing is so fast, as is the scrolling, as
are many quick editing functions, that it is the only thing that has ever
made sense for me for viewing and managing images and folders. Anything
else I've tried (e.g., ACDSee 7.0 or anything with "album" in its name)
seems to take forever to add images to the database, and seems clunky,
slow, and visually fisher-priced so that there are just too many graphically
extraneous elements and hoops to jump through.

I last updated Compupic about three years ago, and have found no reason to
either buy a newer version, or switch to something newer (read: more
cumbersome and problematic; and I keep trying new things that come out).

My version (6.2) DOES have downsides. The database can get corrupt if you
do too many different operations too quicky (particularly before all
thumbnails in a folder have been created). But if this ever becomes a
problem, there is a very simple fix--delete the thumbnail database (a folder
named def.phd in the Photodex/Compupic folder) and just open the program
up again. Having to delete the database every couple months for the
benefits of a fast, clean, beautiful display and organization program like
this is for me a FAR better option than the slow, ugly mess that most photo
album programs are--and the old database isn't that important anyways, since
new thumbnails pop into place very quickly.

Windows Explorer creates and deletes folders more cleanly (and I sometimes
jump over to Windows Explorer for major folder reorganizations) but for
quick viewing and organizing (not to mention super-great quick edits),
nothing beats my 3-year-old Compupic program.
!