Sign in with
Your question

How high can I safely OC my 2600k on auto voltage?

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2012 4:36:19 AM

Do you think I should be able to OC my 2600k on stock voltage to 4.0 ghz from 3.4?

Using this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If not what voltage should I be able to use. I know each cpu is different but just a guess would be nice.

Edit: I didn't know there was an auto voltage and my main goal was to OC my CPU with the very little knowledge of over clocking that I had. I am thinking auto voltage would be great for me to start with. The question is still how high can I safely OC the 2600k with auto voltage?

I edited the title for clarity.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 5:01:53 AM

Maybe, but that board isn't the "best" for overclocking as it doesn't have very much power phases. Plus, not every processor is the same. So it's the luck of the draw! My 2600k needs 1.165v for a stable 4ghz overclock, which is a slight increase from the stock voltage (1.1v) By all means that cooler is enough for a small 4ghz overclock, you can even hit 4.5ghz on it easily!
May 6, 2012 5:06:04 AM

What program do you use to see if your system is stable?
Related resources
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 5:09:52 AM

Prime95, Intel Burn In Test, and OCCT!

Prime 95 is run for a few hours to test stability and generates high cpu load

Intel burn in is a definite way to make sure your system is stable, it pushes your system above prime 95!

OCCT simulates real world use and usually loads your processor between 50-70% (I would run this overnight)

Temperature software:
HWmonitor, to make sure temperatures and vcore are low and not too high :) 
CPU-Z to make sure cpu is running at correct speed
May 6, 2012 5:25:53 AM

I would say yes, 4 ghz easily. I have one of the bad ones and it's been put through some torcher and it still does 4.4 ghz on stock volts without llc. Even on a poor board I would say 4 if the board had any tweakable settings.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 6:06:00 AM

lemlo said:
I would say yes, 4 ghz easily. I have one of the bad ones and it's been put through some torcher and it still does 4.4 ghz on stock volts without llc. Even on a poor board I would say 4 if the board had any tweakable settings.

I call BS on 4.4 at stock Vcore, especially with what you think is supposedly a "bad chip". Screenshot?

I suppose it's not impossible, but it definitely IS very improbable. If it truly IS a "bad chip", there's no way it would be stable at 4.4 on stock Vcore. It MAY boot, but I don't see it being Prime stable. Most people need ~1.3V+ to get to 4.5, and I know from my own experience that 4.4 wouldn't be able to be stable at stock Vcore for them.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 6:33:20 AM

That's a hardcore definite maybe.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 6:43:31 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I call BS on 4.4 at stock Vcore, especially with what you think is supposedly a "bad chip". Screenshot?

I suppose it's not impossible, but it definitely IS very improbable. If it truly IS a "bad chip", there's no way it would be stable at 4.4 on stock Vcore. It MAY boot, but I don't see it being Prime stable. Most people need ~1.3V+ to get to 4.5, and I know from my own experience that 4.4 wouldn't be able to be stable at stock Vcore for them.

lol agreed and i will go so far as to say not possible want to prove your not a story teller Screenshot? I will sincerely apologize if you provide screen shot but if not please...don't make false posts especially when these members are counting on us to help them in not making bad choices op it is possible to get 4.5ghz 1.2V
May 6, 2012 7:04:25 AM

Alright I must apologize. I figured it was common. I did mean auto voltage and not a set voltage. This not the norm? I figured it was since I can hardly get 4.7 stable with safe voltage let alone 4.8 like some people can.

When I get out of work here I'll see what I can do about a screen. Again I apologize as it's never my intention to mis-inform.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 7:19:04 AM

lemlo said:
Alright I must apologize. I figured it was common. I did mean auto voltage and not a set voltage. This not the norm? I figured it was since I can hardly get 4.7 stable with safe voltage let alone 4.8 like some people can.

When I get out of work here I'll see what I can do about a screen. Again I apologize as it's never my intention to mis-inform.

No, most people that are serious about OC'ing set the Vcore manually. Much safer because Auto usually gives the CPU way more voltage than needed.
May 6, 2012 7:36:13 AM

I typically profile my overclocks either for max performance with set vcore or on auto settings for safety. I do see some people getting really serious about mild oc's and voltage and have always found it a little silly.

There is a rift in opinions on what people believe is safe. I guess on I'm on the non-conservative side, though not as extreme as what some think as ok voltage. Thankfully my chip is still doing ok almost 15 months later. If this is a low oc perfectionist thread probably not my place to be in this one.
May 6, 2012 9:57:57 AM

To give the op an idea of what to expect, here is a good thread.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1022427/what-is-2600k-stock-...

As for the screens I promised, I cannot produce. Not anymore anyway. Can't even do 4.4ghz on auto. If manually set the vcore to what the auto tries to set it at it is fine otherwise.. dang giga's flaky p67 bios.

I will take claim to my mistake thinking of auto as stock which it technically is not as you can also see in this thread.

Op, I do however believe if you wish to unbox and assemble your equipment and then while in the bios just simply move your multiplier to 40x and leave everything else as is you should be perfectly fine. Hope I was at least some help.
May 6, 2012 10:32:53 AM

How high can 'auto' voltage take the CPU safely? Could I go to 4.2 safely with auto voltage?

Edit: I just want to get it as high as possible with the little knowledge I have of OC. I think 'auto' voltage would be awesome for me.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2012 3:25:21 PM

Honestly, there will be a lot of opinions on the matter. This is a time when you just need to pick up your parts and push them to see where you get. When I first started overclocking I used stock voltages on my Athlon x4 to get it up to 3.7. But eventually I did more research since I was unhappy with the temperatures (close to 1.5 vcore) and found an optimal setting.

You'll probably follow a similar path IMO. Just get up to 4.0 and monitor the temps etc. As long as your volts are under 1.4 or so you should be fine. You're gonna have to get more knowledge of overclocking since you are playing with the life of your cpu.
!