Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2012 4:49:38 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: next 1-2 months

Budget Range: $500-$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: DVR, Internet Video/Audio Streaming, Web Browsing, DVD/Blu-Ray, Light Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard/mouse, HDTV, HDs

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com, I also live within easy driving range of Microcenter (usually has best price on processors) and Frys

Parts Preferences: HTPC case, also will be getting Comcast HDTV so I would like to use a Tuner that uses a cablecard, either PCI-e based or USB 3.0 based.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 - 42 inch Panasonic 1080p HDTV

Additional Comments: I will be using this in place of a DVR box from Comcast. Their HD DVR rental is ~$17/month, where as their CableCard rental is ~$1.25/month. I want the cablecard mainly because Comcast has many encrypted channels that OTA tuners can't pick up. Gaming on this box would be limited, something along the lines of audiosurf/trine type games. I was given 4 Seagate 750GB drives although 2 may be bad, these would tide me over until HD prices came back down. I guess most of my trepidation comes from not knowing the limits of current generation on-board graphics.

More about : htpc recommendations needed

January 23, 2012 9:36:27 PM

i3-2100T or i3-2120 processor have onboard graphics that will be perfect for what you need/want, and only use 35w power so they are nice and cool...

m
l

Best solution

January 23, 2012 9:47:47 PM

The AMD Llano A8 3850 processor is an APU with the graphics and computer cores integrated for far better graphics than the intel options
http://www.techspot.com/review/418-amd-a8-3850-apu/

Motherboard with an A75 chipset , and an HDMI port at the 1.4a standard

silverstone GD 05 case

2 x2 gig of RAM

400 watt modular psu

hard drive of our choice . A WD green drive will likely be the quietest .

maybe a scythe big shuriken cpu cooler

and a bluray drive
Related resources
January 23, 2012 10:14:50 PM

Which TV Tuner you get is really going to depend on your budget. I agree with Outlander's AMD Llano recommendation, but not sure the A8 is necessary (I was thinking more along the lines of an A6). If the processor doesn't handle the graphics well enough, you can always add a discreet card later.

Personally, I cannot speak toward the SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime (three tuners) or the Hauppauge WINTV-DCR-2650 (two tuners), but I've been a very happy Ceton InfiniTV4 user for seven months now. It's been working flawlessly on my AMD Athlon II X2-240/4GB RAM/HD4670 system.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 23, 2012 10:34:20 PM

An A6 can work well. Either a triple or quadcore option will be better than an intel dual core if you are using a dual channel tv card.
m
l
January 24, 2012 12:09:25 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The AMD Llano A8 3850 processor is an APU with the graphics and computer cores integrated for far better graphics than the intel options
http://www.techspot.com/review/418-amd-a8-3850-apu/

Motherboard with an A75 chipset , and an HDMI port at the 1.4a standard

silverstone GD 05 case

2 x2 gig of RAM

400 watt modular psu

hard drive of our choice . A WD green drive will likely be the quietest .

maybe a scythe big shuriken cpu cooler

and a bluray drive

Wolfshadw said:
Which TV Tuner you get is really going to depend on your budget. I agree with Outlander's AMD Llano recommendation, but not sure the A8 is necessary (I was thinking more along the lines of an A6). If the processor doesn't handle the graphics well enough, you can always add a discreet card later.

Personally, I cannot speak toward the SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime (three tuners) or the Hauppauge WINTV-DCR-2650 (two tuners), but I've been a very happy Ceton InfiniTV4 user for seven months now. It's been working flawlessly on my AMD Athlon II X2-240/4GB RAM/HD4670 system.

-Wolf sends

The Ceton was what I kind of had my eyes on. Glad to hear a first hand endorsement.

It's good to hear that one of the new AMD APUs will handle 1080p, I think I might want to go with the A8, it seems like a minimal price increase, for a lot more graphics prowess (if http://www.anandtech.com/show/4667/amds-a83850-up-to-26... holds up to be true).

Thanks for the replies, has helped immensely.
m
l
January 24, 2012 12:10:02 AM

Best answer selected by dassox.
m
l
!