Idea for a Mod (A Good One)

I've been replaying BG1 again through Tutu and it's reminded me how annoying
the walking pace is.

How about a mod where if you are in populated area such as a town it will
automatically keep everyone hasted, but NOT when a hostile character shows
up or is nearby. Then when combat is over it will automatically haste the
party members again. This'd save a lot of grief when all you wanna do is do
some last minute shopping and move around quickly.

This'd be great for BG1, since you can't get your first pair of boots of
speed until quite late in the game.

This doesn't sound too difficult for a seasoned modder...

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
9 answers Last reply
More about idea good
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:58:13 +0100, Burning_Ranger wrote:

    >I've been replaying BG1 again through Tutu and it's reminded me how annoying
    >the walking pace is.
    >
    >How about a mod where if you are in populated area such as a town it will
    >automatically keep everyone hasted, but NOT when a hostile character shows
    >up or is nearby. Then when combat is over it will automatically haste the
    >party members again. This'd save a lot of grief when all you wanna do is do
    >some last minute shopping and move around quickly.
    >
    >This'd be great for BG1, since you can't get your first pair of boots of
    >speed until quite late in the game.
    >
    >This doesn't sound too difficult for a seasoned modder...

    I would prefer that the game let you run instead - Planescape: Torment
    does. (It defaults to running, which is good, because walking is *very*
    slow in PS:T.)
    --
    auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
    *****

    Uh, all you have to do is -not- install the slower walking speeds 'fix'
    (or was it a patch?). I think.

    That gets you up to BGII normal speed, though fast speed is another
    thing...

    S.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> wrote in message
    > Uh, all you have to do is -not- install the slower walking speeds 'fix'
    > (or was it a patch?). I think.
    >
    > That gets you up to BGII normal speed, though fast speed is another
    > thing...
    >
    > S.

    RCV: And with tutu, you can use Shadow Keeper to boost everyone's speed
    up... you can have them screaming through the city.

    Personally, I never minded the walking speed in BG1 - let you stroll
    through the cities and countryside taking in the sights. :)

    Rich
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Rich C. Velay wrote:
    > "Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> Uh, all you have to do is -not- install the slower walking speeds
    >> 'fix' (or was it a patch?). I think.
    >>
    >> That gets you up to BGII normal speed, though fast speed is another
    >> thing...
    >>
    >> S.
    >
    > RCV: And with tutu, you can use Shadow Keeper to boost everyone's
    > speed up... you can have them screaming through the city.

    This would give an unfair advantage in battle, since you could run away
    quicker from enemies. What I was suggesting is somethnig that doesn't
    interfere with the battle mechanics of the game.

    > Personally, I never minded the walking speed in BG1 - let you
    > stroll through the cities and countryside taking in the sights. :)

    There's only so many times you can walk across town for a few dozen arrows
    or to sell a 20GP ring.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Repent Burning_Ranger!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!"
    Burning_Ranger replied. Then he added:

    > There's only so many times you can walk across town for a few dozen
    > arrows or to sell a 20GP ring.

    Select your party, place your cursor in front of the store and hit Ctrl-J.

    --
    Billy Yank

    Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
    Murphy: "Well I choose them."
    Q: "That's NOT an option!"
    M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
    -Sealab 2021

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Billy Yank <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in

    > "Repent Burning_Ranger!" said the Ticktockman. "Get
    > Stuffed!" Burning_Ranger replied. Then he added:
    >
    >> There's only so many times you can walk across town for a
    >> few dozen arrows or to sell a 20GP ring.
    >>

    > Select your party, place your cursor in front of the store
    > and hit Ctrl-J.

    Yeah -- how may times do I want to admire the same building. ;)

    However, one should be careful w/ Ctrl+J -- skipping over
    encounter/chapter "triggers" might ruin the game.

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Billy Yank wrote:
    >> There's only so many times you can walk across town for a few dozen
    >> arrows or to sell a 20GP ring.
    >>

    > Select your party, place your cursor in front of the store and hit
    > Ctrl-J.

    For some reason this doesn't work in BG1Tutu. Or maybe it's just my copy
    that is borked.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Burning_Ranger wrote:
    > Billy Yank wrote:
    >
    >>>There's only so many times you can walk across town for a few dozen
    >>>arrows or to sell a 20GP ring.
    >>>

    >>Select your party, place your cursor in front of the store and hit
    >>Ctrl-J.
    >

    > For some reason this doesn't work in BG1Tutu. Or maybe it's just my copy
    > that is borked.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Burning_Ranger
    >
    > To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk

    Did you put the Debug=1 in the baldur.ini of the BG2/Tutu directory, not in the
    BG1 directory, the command that allows cheat codes ie. Ctrl-J to work in BG2.

    You are actually running a BG2 game using BG1 maps and scripts.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Me wrote:
    > Burning_Ranger wrote:

    >>> Select your party, place your cursor in front of the store and hit
    >>> Ctrl-J.
    >>

    >> For some reason this doesn't work in BG1Tutu. Or maybe it's just my
    >> copy that is borked.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Burning_Ranger
    >>
    >> To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
    >>

    > Did you put the Debug=1 in the baldur.ini of the BG2/Tutu directory,
    > not in the BG1 directory, the command that allows cheat codes ie.
    > Ctrl-J to work in BG2.
    >
    > You are actually running a BG2 game using BG1 maps and scripts.

    It works, I was just being impatient. I assumed when you pressed CTRL+J it
    would be instant when in fact it takes a few seconds to occur.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk

Games Video Games