Seeking util to give path and filename

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
on the clipboard):

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

Does such a thing exist?
18 answers Last reply
More about seeking util give path filename
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message
    | Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    | utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    |
    | For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    | System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    | on the clipboard):
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    |
    | Does such a thing exist?

    Ninotech Path Copy.

    http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Franklin <franklin_lo@mail.com> writes:

    >Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    >utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

    >For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    >System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    >on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

    >Does such a thing exist?

    I don't know if you'd be satisifed with a command-line utility,
    but if so, there's LOCATE by Charles Dye, available free on various Web
    and ftp sites. You don't need to know in advance where the target file
    is--just invoke LOCATE with the desired file specifications, and it will
    display the path and name of any matching file anywhere in all drives on
    the machine (or in one specified drive). It has no provision to copy to
    the clipboard, however (which can be done by another program like
    DOSCLIP).
    --
    --Donald Davis

    [To respond by e-mail, remove "blackhole." from the address.]
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    > utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >
    > For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    > System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    > on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?

    TrackerV3: select "shell32.dll", press Ctrl+P,
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll" is copied to the clipboard.

    Donald
    http://www.trackerv3.com/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    | "Franklin" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
    | Message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
    | Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    | utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    |
    | For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    | System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    | on the clipboard):
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    |
    | Does such a thing exist?

    If the Command Interpreter (cmd.exe) popping up, then Notepad popping up
    with the following...

    Volume in drive C is C_WINXP
    Volume Serial Number is 1C53-E763

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

    .... and then both closing when you Exit Notepad, is adequte, then...

    The following *.bat file may suit your needs. Note that the following batch
    commands are modified from a newsgroup post I picked up in one of the
    microsoft.public... scripting groups (longlong ago). And given that I am
    any but a command prompt expert, I am certain that there is a cleaner way to
    write it. (Any Command Prompt Experts are welcome to clean it up).

    Anyway...

    To use the batch file run Notepad, copy the following five lines and paste
    them into Notepad. Save the file with an extension of .bat. Then, put a
    shortcut to the .bat file in the your %USERPROFILE%\SendTo folder.

    @echo off
    dir %1\%2 /a /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
    start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"
    del "%temp%\Listing"
    exit

    When you want a "file's apth and file name in one string" right-click it,
    select Send To, and then click your batch file.

    You can find peer-to-peer support for Scripting technologies in
    the Windows Server Scripting newsgroup. The following page has
    links you can click to access the newsgroup with your Web
    browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
    newsreader such as Outlook Express.

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Management Technologies Newsgroups
    Windows Server Scripting
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

    TRIMMED: alt.comp.freeware
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Franklin wrote in <956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1>:

    >Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    >utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string

    <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITIES.php#CopyDirectoryPath>
    "Ninotech Path Copy is a shell extension for Windows[...]"

    The best of the several I have tried.

    All the best,
    Bjorn Simonsen
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Bjorn Simonsen <bsusenet@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Franklin wrote in <956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1>:
    >
    >>Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    >>the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string
    >

    > <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITIES.php#CopyDire
    > ctoryPath> "Ninotech Path Copy is a shell extension for Windows[...]"
    >
    > The best of the several I have tried.
    >
    > All the best,
    > Bjorn Simonsen

    Seconded - not only because it is so configurable (long/short name,
    long/short path, etc), but because it works on a multiple selection of
    files. Send the contents of a folder, or just a selected subset, to the
    clipboard. Also works from a Search window, for a list of files with
    different paths. Very useful.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom McD

    You can drag into the Start Run box and cut from there. Or use Sendto powertoys.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp

    Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type the following line in Start - Run.

    regsrv32 sendmail
    This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes. It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

    War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    "Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    > utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >
    > For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    > System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    > on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    dir %1\%2

    This is wrong. There is no %2. It resolves to (as %2 is blank) so cmd can sort of understand it. But may as well get it right.

    "C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy\Desktop\vbsconsole.wsc"\
    "Carrie Garth" <cgarth@alpha1.net> wrote in message news:eG4gzdomEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > | "Franklin" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
    > | Message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
    > | Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    > | utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    > |
    > | For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    > | System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    > | on the clipboard):
    > |
    > | C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    > |
    > | Does such a thing exist?
    >
    > If the Command Interpreter (cmd.exe) popping up, then Notepad popping up
    > with the following...
    >
    > Volume in drive C is C_WINXP
    > Volume Serial Number is 1C53-E763
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > ... and then both closing when you Exit Notepad, is adequte, then...
    >
    > The following *.bat file may suit your needs. Note that the following batch
    > commands are modified from a newsgroup post I picked up in one of the
    > microsoft.public... scripting groups (longlong ago). And given that I am
    > any but a command prompt expert, I am certain that there is a cleaner way to
    > write it. (Any Command Prompt Experts are welcome to clean it up).
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > To use the batch file run Notepad, copy the following five lines and paste
    > them into Notepad. Save the file with an extension of .bat. Then, put a
    > shortcut to the .bat file in the your %USERPROFILE%\SendTo folder.
    >

    > @echo off
    > dir %1\%2 /a /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
    > start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"
    > del "%temp%\Listing"
    > exit
    >

    > When you want a "file's apth and file name in one string" right-click it,
    > select Send To, and then click your batch file.
    >
    > You can find peer-to-peer support for Scripting technologies in
    > the Windows Server Scripting newsgroup. The following page has
    > links you can click to access the newsgroup with your Web
    > browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
    > newsreader such as Outlook Express.
    >
    > Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    > Management Technologies Newsgroups
    > Windows Server Scripting
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx
    >

    > TRIMMED: alt.comp.freeware

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Franklin wrote:

    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    > the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >
    > For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
    > in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
    > following (ideally on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?

    RJH Extensions:

    Information:

    http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions/ (with screenshot)

    Download:

    http://www.rjhsoftware.com/download/rjhExt.zip

    Works for all those file managers which don't have a similar built in
    function.

    HtH
    Dick
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Franklin wrote:
    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    > the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >
    > For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
    > in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
    > following (ideally on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?

    look for "rjh extensions"
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Bob Arctor wrote:
    > Franklin wrote:
    >> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    >> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
    >> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
    >> following (ideally on the clipboard):
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >>
    >> Does such a thing exist?
    >
    > look for "rjh extensions"

    http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions/

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:06:43 +0200, Bob Arctor wrote:

    > look for "rjh extensions"

    Yep, I'm also using it.

    Have a nice day
    _ _
    eLmimo
    --
    Le rire est le + beau moyen de montrer les dents :-)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
    <thelady@mailinator.com> writes
    >Franklin wrote:
    >> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    >> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >>
    >> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
    >> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
    >> following (ideally on the clipboard):
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >>
    >> Does such a thing exist?
    >
    >look for "rjh extensions"

    I like ClipPath - very simple :
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html
    --
    Roger Hunt
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Roger Hunt <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pCqAWhA639VBFwiY@carewg.demon.co.uk>...
    > In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
    > <thelady@mailinator.com> writes
    > >Franklin wrote:
    > >> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    > >> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    > >>
    > >> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
    > >> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
    > >> following (ideally on the clipboard):
    > >>
    > >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    > >>
    > >> Does such a thing exist?
    > >
    > >look for "rjh extensions"
    > >
    > I like ClipPath - very simple :
    > http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html

    Hi,
    There is also the TRUENAME utility that comes with DOS/Win9x. Not
    sure if it is included in later Win versions.

    Example;
    C>truename shell32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

    If you are using 4DOS under Win9x, the following would place the
    results on the clipboard;

    C>truename shell32.dll > clip:

    C>type clip:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

    If you don't have 4DOS, you could use the CLIP.EXE utilty, as follows;

    C>truename shell32.dll | clip

    The results would then be on the clipboard.

    Visit http://www.cmdtools.com/files/clip.zip for a copy of CLIP.EXE

    Joe
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeCaverlysProgrammingStuff
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <974d391e.0409271426.1346d803@posting.google.com>, Joe
    Caverly <jlcaverlyca@yahoo.ca> writes
    >Roger Hunt <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pCqAWhA639VBFwiY@car
    >ewg.demon.co.uk>...
    >> In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
    >> <thelady@mailinator.com> writes
    >> >
    >> >look for "rjh extensions"
    >> >
    >> I like ClipPath - very simple :
    >> http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html
    >
    > There is also the TRUENAME utility that comes with DOS/Win9x. Not
    >sure if it is included in later Win versions.
    >Example;
    >C>truename shell32.dll
    >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
    (snip)

    Most interesting! Truename is here, on my W98se, within Command.com.
    (I don't know if XP includes this as I don't have it installed.)

    Thanks - might come in handy.
    --
    Roger Hunt
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Franklin rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
    > utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
    >
    > For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
    > System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
    > on the clipboard):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?

    http://www.gregorybraun.com/APPPATHS.ZIP
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:38:15 GMT, Franklin posted to alt.comp.freeware:

    > Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
    > the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

    Ninotech Path Copy available from
    http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm should do what you want.

    HTH

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Not exactly an answer to your question, but it works for me. Since
    settling in xplorer2 as my default file manager, I have not used any
    other tool for this. x2 can copy paths (Alt+C), can copy by using
    shortnames, can shred files, rename files en masse -- it does myriads
    of things. It is only 550 Kb to download and takes less than 1 MB when
    installed.

    From the special-purpose tools I have used I liked very much rjh
    extensions (but it didn't like my system) and the amazing ShellToys
    XP, which is almost a file manager. You can download the last free
    version of this at Son of Spyware.

    For xplorer2 have a look here:

    http://www.netez.com/xplorer2/

    Demetris

Configuration Microsoft Filename Windows XP