Seeking util to give path and filename

September 14, 2004 3:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
on the clipboard):

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

Does such a thing exist?
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:38:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message
| Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
| utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
|
| For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
| System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
| on the clipboard):
|
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
|
| Does such a thing exist?

Ninotech Path Copy.

http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:38:16 PM

Franklin <franklin_lo@mail.com> writes:

>Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
>utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

>For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
>System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
>on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

>Does such a thing exist?

I don't know if you'd be satisifed with a command-line utility,
but if so, there's LOCATE by Charles Dye, available free on various Web
and ftp sites. You don't need to know in advance where the target file
is--just invoke LOCATE with the desired file specifications, and it will
display the path and name of any matching file anywhere in all drives on
the machine (or in one specified drive). It has no provision to copy to
the clipboard, however (which can be done by another program like
DOSCLIP).
--
--Donald Davis

[To respond by e-mail, remove "blackhole." from the address.]
September 14, 2004 5:02:10 PM

"Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
> utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>
> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
> System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
> on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> Does such a thing exist?

TrackerV3: select "shell32.dll", press Ctrl+P,
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll" is copied to the clipboard.

Donald
http://www.trackerv3.com/
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 5:19:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

| "Franklin" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
| Message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
| Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
| utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
|
| For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
| System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
| on the clipboard):
|
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
|
| Does such a thing exist?

If the Command Interpreter (cmd.exe) popping up, then Notepad popping up
with the following...

Volume in drive C is C_WINXP
Volume Serial Number is 1C53-E763

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

.... and then both closing when you Exit Notepad, is adequte, then...

The following *.bat file may suit your needs. Note that the following batch
commands are modified from a newsgroup post I picked up in one of the
microsoft.public... scripting groups (longlong ago). And given that I am
any but a command prompt expert, I am certain that there is a cleaner way to
write it. (Any Command Prompt Experts are welcome to clean it up).

Anyway...

To use the batch file run Notepad, copy the following five lines and paste
them into Notepad. Save the file with an extension of .bat. Then, put a
shortcut to the .bat file in the your %USERPROFILE%\SendTo folder.

@echo off
dir %1\%2 /a /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit

When you want a "file's apth and file name in one string" right-click it,
select Send To, and then click your batch file.

You can find peer-to-peer support for Scripting technologies in
the Windows Server Scripting newsgroup. The following page has
links you can click to access the newsgroup with your Web
browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
newsreader such as Outlook Express.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Management Technologies Newsgroups
Windows Server Scripting
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ne...

TRIMMED: alt.comp.freeware
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 6:39:06 PM

Franklin wrote in <956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1>:

>Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
>utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string

<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITI...;
"Ninotech Path Copy is a shell extension for Windows[...]"

The best of the several I have tried.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:13:03 PM

Bjorn Simonsen <bsusenet@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Franklin wrote in <956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1>:
>
>>Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
>>the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string
>

> <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITI...
> ctoryPath> "Ninotech Path Copy is a shell extension for Windows[...]"
>
> The best of the several I have tried.
>
> All the best,
> Bjorn Simonsen

Seconded - not only because it is so configurable (long/short name,
long/short path, etc), but because it works on a multiple selection of
files. Send the contents of a folder, or just a selected subset, to the
clipboard. Also works from a Search window, for a list of files with
different paths. Very useful.

--
Regards,
Tom McD

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You can drag into the Start Run box and cut from there. Or use Sendto powertoys.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/W...

Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type the following line in Start - Run.

regsrv32 sendmail
This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes. It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
"Franklin" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
> utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>
> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
> System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
> on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> Does such a thing exist?
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 8:33:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

dir %1\%2

This is wrong. There is no %2. It resolves to (as %2 is blank) so cmd can sort of understand it. But may as well get it right.

"C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy\Desktop\vbsconsole.wsc"\
"Carrie Garth" <cgarth@alpha1.net> wrote in message news:eG4gzdomEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> | "Franklin" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
> | Message news:956476622398131E75@127.0.0.1...
> | Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
> | utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
> |
> | For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
> | System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
> | on the clipboard):
> |
> | C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
> |
> | Does such a thing exist?
>
> If the Command Interpreter (cmd.exe) popping up, then Notepad popping up
> with the following...
>
> Volume in drive C is C_WINXP
> Volume Serial Number is 1C53-E763
>
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> ... and then both closing when you Exit Notepad, is adequte, then...
>
> The following *.bat file may suit your needs. Note that the following batch
> commands are modified from a newsgroup post I picked up in one of the
> microsoft.public... scripting groups (longlong ago). And given that I am
> any but a command prompt expert, I am certain that there is a cleaner way to
> write it. (Any Command Prompt Experts are welcome to clean it up).
>
> Anyway...
>
> To use the batch file run Notepad, copy the following five lines and paste
> them into Notepad. Save the file with an extension of .bat. Then, put a
> shortcut to the .bat file in the your %USERPROFILE%\SendTo folder.
>

> @echo off
> dir %1\%2 /a /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
> start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"
> del "%temp%\Listing"
> exit
>

> When you want a "file's apth and file name in one string" right-click it,
> select Send To, and then click your batch file.
>
> You can find peer-to-peer support for Scripting technologies in
> the Windows Server Scripting newsgroup. The following page has
> links you can click to access the newsgroup with your Web
> browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
> newsreader such as Outlook Express.
>
> Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> Management Technologies Newsgroups
> Windows Server Scripting
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ne...
>

> TRIMMED: alt.comp.freeware

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:35:50 PM

Franklin wrote:

> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>
> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
> following (ideally on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> Does such a thing exist?

RJH Extensions:

Information:

http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions/ (with screenshot)

Download:

http://www.rjhsoftware.com/download/rjhExt.zip

Works for all those file managers which don't have a similar built in
function.

HtH
Dick
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:06:43 PM

Franklin wrote:
> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>
> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
> following (ideally on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> Does such a thing exist?

look for "rjh extensions"
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:55:37 AM

Bob Arctor wrote:
> Franklin wrote:
>> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
>> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
>> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
>> following (ideally on the clipboard):
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>>
>> Does such a thing exist?
>
> look for "rjh extensions"

http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions/

--
Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:06:43 +0200, Bob Arctor wrote:

> look for "rjh extensions"

Yep, I'm also using it.

Have a nice day
_ _
eLmimo
--
Le rire est le + beau moyen de montrer les dents :-)
Anonymous

In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
<thelady@mailinator.com> writes
>Franklin wrote:
>> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
>> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>>
>> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
>> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
>> following (ideally on the clipboard):
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>>
>> Does such a thing exist?
>
>look for "rjh extensions"

I like ClipPath - very simple :
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html
--
Roger Hunt
Anonymous

Roger Hunt <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pCqAWhA639VBFwiY@carewg.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
> <thelady@mailinator.com> writes
> >Franklin wrote:
> >> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
> >> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
> >>
> >> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll"
> >> in the System32 folder then the utility would return to me the
> >> following (ideally on the clipboard):
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
> >>
> >> Does such a thing exist?
> >
> >look for "rjh extensions"
> >
> I like ClipPath - very simple :
> http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html

Hi,
There is also the TRUENAME utility that comes with DOS/Win9x. Not
sure if it is included in later Win versions.

Example;
C>truename shell32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

If you are using 4DOS under Win9x, the following would place the
results on the clipboard;

C>truename shell32.dll > clip:

C>type clip:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

If you don't have 4DOS, you could use the CLIP.EXE utilty, as follows;

C>truename shell32.dll | clip

The results would then be on the clipboard.

Visit http://www.cmdtools.com/files/clip.zip for a copy of CLIP.EXE

Joe
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JoeCaverlysProgrammingStu...
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:53:58 PM

In article <974d391e.0409271426.1346d803@posting.google.com>, Joe
Caverly <jlcaverlyca@yahoo.ca> writes
>Roger Hunt <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pCqAWhA639VBFwiY@car
>ewg.demon.co.uk>...
>> In article <2rfidbF17a0inU1@uni-berlin.de>, Bob Arctor
>> <thelady@mailinator.com> writes
>> >
>> >look for "rjh extensions"
>> >
>> I like ClipPath - very simple :
>> http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/32797.html
>
> There is also the TRUENAME utility that comes with DOS/Win9x. Not
>sure if it is included in later Win versions.
>Example;
>C>truename shell32.dll
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
(snip)

Most interesting! Truename is here, on my W98se, within Command.com.
(I don't know if XP includes this as I don't have it installed.)

Thanks - might come in handy.
--
Roger Hunt
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Franklin rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and the
> utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.
>
> For example: If I used this utility and I pointed to "shell32.dll" in the
> System32 folder then the utility would return to me the following (ideally
> on the clipboard):
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll
>
> Does such a thing exist?

http://www.gregorybraun.com/APPPATHS.ZIP
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:42:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:38:15 GMT, Franklin posted to alt.comp.freeware:

> Is there a simple utility which will allow me to point to a file and
> the utility will give me the file's apth and file name in one string.

Ninotech Path Copy available from
http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm should do what you want.

HTH

October 7, 2004 4:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Not exactly an answer to your question, but it works for me. Since
settling in xplorer2 as my default file manager, I have not used any
other tool for this. x2 can copy paths (Alt+C), can copy by using
shortnames, can shred files, rename files en masse -- it does myriads
of things. It is only 550 Kb to download and takes less than 1 MB when
installed.

From the special-purpose tools I have used I liked very much rjh
extensions (but it didn't like my system) and the amazing ShellToys
XP, which is almost a file manager. You can download the last free
version of this at Son of Spyware.

For xplorer2 have a look here:

http://www.netez.com/xplorer2/

Demetris