3 Year Old System Won't Post, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocknawe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I came home from a 2-day trip and attempted to power up my computer. Out of the blue, I had no video or hard drive activity. When I left it was running fine, and I have never had any problems with the computer of this sort before. It's home built and has been solid from the first day.

I opened up the case, and the symptoms are as follows: Push power button, the Zalman CPU fan LED flickers and then turns off (fan budges a bit) and at that point the row of 6 ASUS motherboard LEDs light up and remain lit (static). There is no beep from the case speaker. All other case fans are running fine. The video card fan is also running fine. I proceeded to remove ALL the cards and memory and unplug all the cables from the motherboard. The system still does the exact same thing, CPU fan flicker, MB lights, no post. I replaced the memory only, tried the other two memory slots, tried it with / without the video card, I get the same thing every time. The power supply fan and LED are both on and seem to be running fine. Everything seems powered except the CPU fan which, as I said, flickers and then turns off.

I don't have replacement parts handy, so I need help pinpointing the probable cause here before I order parts and rebuild. Is it the power supply, the motherboard, the CPU, the CPU fan, ... please help! Thank you in advance for any solutions or further direction.

Solution

smith697

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi.

As you said you left the system on when you went away,Have you had any sort of power out that you know off? Have you also tryed to clear the CMOS as I have had all most the same problem in the past.

Send me A PM if you need further help.

ulysses35

Distinguished

Sounds like a faulty PSU to me - had similar problems in the past... one day its fine, shuts down etc then a few days later nothing.

Solution

shocknawe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I have reseated the CMOS battery already yes, took it out for about 5 minutes and then put it back in (easy to do rather than use the jumper because all the cards are out of the MB already). Is that enough to reset it? Same problem persisted after putting the battery back in. And I had shut down the computer prior to leaving, but it was still plugged in. I don't believe there were any power outages, but I can't say for sure. PS it is actually a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 motherboard, Corsair 600W modular power supply. Thanks for the advice!

smith697

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi.

You could have a hardware fault however on the motherboard where the front panel power connector goes to the board try removing it from the board and getting a flathead screwdriver and touch the 2pins to short it and then re-connect the power cable and try turning the pc on.

shocknawe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Yup I took it to a local shop and tested the power supply, it is bad bad bad. It's out of warranty too, lasted just a few months past its guarantee. So now I need a PS recommendation. What should I buy to replace it? What's good / great now?

shocknawe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Windows 7 Professional SP1, 64 Bit
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 GHZ w/Zalman CNPS 9700 NT 110mm Cooler
Memory - OCZ OCZ2RPR10664GK 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2
Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR 9600 GT
Sound Card - M-Audio Waveterminal 192XL
DVD - Samsung 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
HD1 - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0 GB/s
HD2 - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 GB/s
HD3 - Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
4 Other Case Fans (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 PCI slot)

Status
Not open for further replies.