Need advice on installing 9800 GTX+ on my computer

sam000894

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I bought a new computer a few months ago and I just decided to install my graphics card but I'm having trouble getting it to work since I'm not very good with computers at all (It worked fine on my other computer).

I have a Pentium Dual-Core e5700 and I'm not sure if the 9800 GTX+ is compatible with it. I put the card in the PCI-express slot and that's as far as I got. When I try turning my computer on, I hear a beeping sound and my computer turns off without anything coming up on the monitor. After a couple tries, the computer stays on but there's still nothing on the monitor.

There's 2 six-pin cables on the graphics card, but I couldn't find any spots to put them in so I just didn't even bother with them. This could be the issue but I'm not sure.

So if anyone can give me any advice on how to get this card to work I'll be very grateful.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
"There's 2 six-pin cables on the graphics card, but I couldn't find any spots to put them in so I just didn't even bother with them. This could be the issue but I'm not sure."

Yep thats your problem allright.......you need a power supply with at least 2-6 pin pci-e power connectors

sam000894

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I apologize because it has been a while. I did not have much time to attempt to install my graphics card. Well, I finally got to it a couple weeks ago and encountered several problems. Like you mentioned before, I switched my power supply, which had the correct cables that fit my graphics card. I placed the card in, connected it to the new power supply, and attempted to start my computer.

When I started up my computer, nothing would come up on the monitor. It would just remain black. The light on my hard drive lit up and the sound that signaled that the hard drive was booting increased in intensity and just suddenly dies down. Nothing happened after that.

I tried experimenting around with my computer and my graphics card. I took out my graphics card and started up the computer again and it worked so there's no issue with the newly inserted power supply. I put my graphics card back in and once again, nothing happens.

So can anyone explain what's the issue here? Is there a problem with my graphics card? Is it broken and will I have to buy a new one or have someone repair it and install it for me?

Thanks in advance.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
What make and model is the power supply.. it may not put out enough on the 12 volt rail to run the card. I think the minimum is 450watt, with at least 24 amp on the +12volt rail, it may be a bit higher. Something like the Corsair Builders series Cx500 would work, right now newegg has it for about $60.00..and there is an additional $20.00 rebate available making it a great deal for a solid power supply

sam000894

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I believe the power supply from my old computer is only 250W with he 12volt rail. But I'm not entirely sure if that is the issue because back when my old computer was working, my graphics card installed successfully and worked with that power supply.

I just replaced my old power supply with the one in my new computer because my new on did not have the correct cables for the graphics card. It did not work so I assumed that my graphics card is working. So now I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong.

Btw, sorry about the late reply.