Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random Advice and Last Second Pointers

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2012 6:39:37 PM

Well my last box was received today and the build will start tonight (I did install the PSU, SSD, and Optical drive already).

Are there any last second tips and tricks that may make it go smoothly? This is my first build and some things I would have done wrong, (I think) I've corrected.

i.e. I'm running the OS off of the SSD, so when the install is done, I'll leave my HDD disconnected to prevent it from being primary, correct?

Also...I am running a wireless card, but it didn't come with a driver disc, so I assume I will have to plug the computer directly to my router at first, correct?

And...will my Lite ON DVD automatically be detected by the MOBO? (If not...how would I install windows?)

Oh yeah...the TX650 seems to be overboard on cables...should I just tuck them away or are there any tricks with the HAF 912? I already removed the SSD cage and the upper HDD cage too since I'm only running 1 of each.

One more...stupid question that I will probably have answered when I watch the Hyper Cooler + video, but do I still use the i5-2500k stock heatsink if I'm using an aftermarket cooler? I suppose I will picture this better in my head once the parts start coming together...

Thanks in advance...and thanks again to everyone who helped me get to this point. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say I wouldn't be where I am today without this site. :pt1cable: 

More about : random advice pointers

January 23, 2012 6:48:29 PM

no, the hyper 212+ (if that is your cooler) is the whole heatsink, you do not need the heatsink that comes with your i5, unless you dont do any overclocking etc, then it may have been enough but you already bought your parts....

your optical drive will be recognised by the mobo, or rather, the har drdive, it does not need the OS to be used by the computer at first.dont forget to keep touching the metal parts of teh case periodicly as well to prevent static issues.
Score
January 23, 2012 6:53:54 PM

mildgamer001 said:
no, the hyper 212+ (if that is your cooler) is the whole heatsink, you do not need the heatsink that comes with your i5, unless you dont do any overclocking etc, then it may have been enough but you already bought your parts....

your optical drive will be recognised by the mobo, or rather, the har drdive, it does not need the OS to be used by the computer at first.dont forget to keep touching the metal parts of teh case periodicly as well to prevent static issues.

Awesome...thank you.

I'm a little static anal - I got one of those super cool anti-static wrist straps and I'll also keep touching the metal and will be wearing crocs, much to the girlfriend's dismay.

Actually the vendor on Amazon sent me 2 wrist straps if anyone wants one. Probably cost them more to ship than they're worth!
Score
Related resources
January 23, 2012 7:04:33 PM

nice deal catch there, sell one of your friends or someone near you that builds computers or does anything with electronics, giving it to anyone on this site will cost you more to ship than it does amazon xD and make sure to clip the wristband to the case not anything else, ive hear dof people sticking the things into home outlet ground in the walls, and other metal objects that arent connected to the computer at all.. that is pretty obvious but i figured i would mention it.
Score
January 23, 2012 7:12:05 PM

Haha...that sounds fun. Wonder if i could magnetize myself...

I just noticed the HDD mentioned on the case that it's an "advance format" HD. The only instructions on it are for Win XP. Do I need to worry about this with Win 7?

Thanks again.
Score

Best solution

January 23, 2012 7:22:11 PM

mingwyo said:
Well my last box was received today and the build will start tonight (I did install the PSU, SSD, and Optical drive already).

Are there any last second tips and tricks that may make it go smoothly? This is my first build and some things I would have done wrong, (I think) I've corrected.

I generally install the cpu/heatsink/memory before installing the board in the case. I would have left the optical drive out as in some cases, it makes board installation a bit more difficult

mingwyo said:

i.e. I'm running the OS off of the SSD, so when the install is done, I'll leave my HDD disconnected to prevent it from being primary, correct?

When you are using the SSD for windows, please ensure the boards SATA mode is set to AHCI. If you wanted to use Intel's SSD cache option(needs a Z68 board), then you would use RAID mode. I generally leave out my DATA drives on install as well.
mingwyo said:

Also...I am running a wireless card, but it didn't come with a driver disc, so I assume I will have to plug the computer directly to my router at first, correct?

Windows 7 Is very good with drivers, it may already have some that work, but yes, if you need to, just connect with wired to get your drivers. It is also generally faster to get your updates over wired.
mingwyo said:

And...will my Lite ON DVD automatically be detected by the MOBO? (If not...how would I install windows?)

It will be auto detected :) 
mingwyo said:

Oh yeah...the TX650 seems to be overboard on cables...should I just tuck them away or are there any tricks with the HAF 912? I already removed the SSD cage and the upper HDD cage too since I'm only running 1 of each.

Yes, you can just coil the cables or tie them together at the bottom of the case. Some users will go the extra mile to hide then, but with a bottom mounted power supply, the floor of the case works fine.
mingwyo said:

One more...stupid question that I will probably have answered when I watch the Hyper Cooler + video, but do I still use the i5-2500k stock heatsink if I'm using an aftermarket cooler? I suppose I will picture this better in my head once the parts start coming together...

mildgamer001 covered it :) 
mingwyo said:

Thanks in advance...and thanks again to everyone who helped me get to this point. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say I wouldn't be where I am today without this site. :pt1cable: 

Enjoy the new system.
January 23, 2012 8:30:01 PM

Thanks!!

I'm a little confused about the ssd however. I do have a z68. Which setup method would you recommend? Are there ahci instructions in the mobo manual?
Score
January 23, 2012 8:43:22 PM

If your SSD is big enough for what you want, just install it for windows and keep files on the hard drive.

SRT allows a SSD to be used to cache often used data from a hard drive on an SSD(up to 64gigs). This allows most commonly used applications to run from the SSD decreasing load times for those applications. All this happens with using the hard drive as a primary storage medium.

The main con.....its not as fast as an SSD by it self. and you have not control over what gets placed onto the ssd cache drive.

Some users like this feature, while others who use lots of data may end up with common apps getting purged from the cache and then loose the extra speed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-s...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-sm...

AHCI is in the manual for sure. Page 48(at least on the online manual)

Integrated Peripherals -> PCH SATA Control Mode

Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel Z68 Chipset or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.
IDE vDisables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to IDE mode. (Default)
RAID(XHD) Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.
AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.
Score
January 24, 2012 2:02:48 AM

nukemaster said:
If your SSD is big enough for what you want, just install it for windows and keep files on the hard drive.

SRT allows a SSD to be used to cache often used data from a hard drive on an SSD(up to 64gigs). This allows most commonly used applications to run from the SSD decreasing load times for those applications. All this happens with using the hard drive as a primary storage medium.

The main con.....its not as fast as an SSD by it self. and you have not control over what gets placed onto the ssd cache drive.

Some users like this feature, while others who use lots of data may end up with common apps getting purged from the cache and then loose the extra speed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-s...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-sm...

AHCI is in the manual for sure. Page 48(at least on the online manual)

Integrated Peripherals -> PCH SATA Control Mode

Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel Z68 Chipset or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.
IDE vDisables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to IDE mode. (Default)
RAID(XHD) Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.
AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.

Well...everything is installed and nothing happens. I checked the No Boot? link and sure enough, step 1 I had missed (the 4 pin connector). But still nothing. No sound...no fan....no leds...nothing. It has to be something simple...right?

When you talk about posting, I assume the PSU at least powers on...right? Because right now I have zero activity coming from this box...
Score
January 24, 2012 2:12:26 AM

If you do not even get fans spinning, something is not working.

Please recheck to ensure that the power switch(from the from of the case) is connected right. Ensure ALL switches and leds are connected right. placing an item in the wrong place can damage the board.

Failing that, you can try to "hotwire" the power supply to see if it even turns on.

When you try(hotwire) the power supply. disconnect it from the board and hard drives. Fans would be ok and a good indication it is running.

here is am image, but all you need to do is place a wire or paperclip from green to black with the power supply switch OFF(or the power supply is unplugged from the wall). once you have done that and ensure the paperclip is only from green to black and nothing else, hit the switch on the back of the power supply or plug it in.

http://4volt.com/Blog/archive/2009/03/12/howto-hotwire-...

If you get nothing here, the power supply is most likely detective.

Note:
some power supplies will not run the fan at low load, this is why having you own fan connected to the power supply may be a good idea. It will spin and show you at least the power supply is starting.
Score
January 24, 2012 2:46:25 AM

Took everything apart and put it all back together (amazing how much quicker try #2 was). Windows is now installing. Thanks for all the help!!
Score
January 24, 2012 2:46:39 AM

Best answer selected by MingWyo.
Score
January 24, 2012 11:49:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!