Solved

New 3d workstation build $10k

Approximate Purchase Date: Not right away, possibly in the next 2-3 months

Budget Range: $10,000 (+/- $2000)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3d animation with local rendering (unless there's a cool article on how to build a renderfarm), Compositing.

Parts Not Required: Monitors (using 2), Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PC Canada, Tiger Direct

Parts Preferences: Always been with ASUS mobos - leaning towards the Sabertooth x79 Socket 2011, unless a 2P setup is better. If the x79 is the way to go, then I'd look at the Core i7 3960x

Overclocking: Not likely

SLI or Crossfire: Only if there's a performance boost for wireframe refresh rates. I don't need a wall of monitors, but if SLI makes 3ds Max move faster, lets examine that

Additional Comments: I may be able to salvage my Silverstone TJ07 case and an 800w PSU. I'll go get new drives, but is there any truth to the performance boost of an SSD? Should I use one for the OS drive?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about workstation build
  1. Componentry updates so quickly its hard to recommend anything 2-3 months ahead .

Today X79 makes sense , as does 16 gig of RAM , a decent SSD as a boot drive , a pair of conventional drives in RAID 1 for data
    And the baddest nVidia quadro graphics card available
  2. I agree, Outlander, a good example is that I've heard of a new up n coming tech called "Thunderbolt" which is used with Macs now. Made by Intel, it's supposed to be able to allow a 10 GBps throughput to peripheral devices. It's coming in April, but I'm not sure this tech is worth the wait.
    For what I've seen so far, Socket 1155 is already gone, 1366 is beginning to phase out and 2011 is the newest thing. I don't mind getting the latest socket - so long as I know the socket will perform for the next 3 years.

Which Quadro do you recommend? I want to stick with nVidia for sure, but I was looking at the GTX 590s (perhaps a pair of those in SLI). I know nothing about the Quadros, except they're very high end. I can see a single card breaking this budget. Recommendations?

Thanks for the feedback!
  3. Best answer
    Quote:
    For what I've seen so far, Socket 1155 is already gone, 1366 is beginning to phase out and 2011 is the newest thing. I don't mind getting the latest socket - so long as I know the socket will perform for the next 3 years.

That is incorrect - 1155 is being used for Sandy Bridge and the upcoming Ivy Bridge, and isn't going away any time soon. All Z68 and P67 motherboards will continue to support it, and it will be the standard for the next year - year and a half.

2011 is the latest and greatest but it's more oriented toward workstations and performance enthusiasts (hence the high price tag and low availability).

1366 is in the process of being discontinued and Intel has announced that it will stop making new CPUs for it this year.

Quote:
    Which Quadro do you recommend? I want to stick with nVidia for sure, but I was looking at the GTX 590s (perhaps a pair of those in SLI). I know nothing about the Quadros, except they're very high end. I can see a single card breaking this budget. Recommendations?

While that's absolutely true that a professional card can break the budget, on a $10K build you don't want to use consumer cards like the 590. Where the Quaddros and Fire Pros excel is their ability to draw fine lines and detailed textures better than the standard "gaming" equivalents. Which is why it costs far more.

Quote:
    I agree, Outlander, a good example is that I've heard of a new up n coming tech called "Thunderbolt" which is used with Macs now. Made by Intel, it's supposed to be able to allow a 10 GBps throughput to peripheral devices. It's coming in April, but I'm not sure this tech is worth the wait.

I've heard about Thunderbolt but I really don't know much about it yet.
  4. Best answer selected by dreamwyzard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems