Frequent BSODs

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
If you are loosing your data, and its important, take out the HDD and hook it up to an enclosure and back it all up onto another computer until you have the BSOD sorted, and then transfer that data back over. Happy days..

BSOD's are cause by all kinds of stuff. The first thing you should do is backup your data elsewhere as combat wombat said.

Then attempt to methodically nail down what's triggering the blue screens. Does it BSOD on your desktop? Does it crash in Linux (run Linux Mint off of a CD)? Does it BSOD when you play games? You can try testing your memory with Memtest86+ on a flashstick.

Which do you guys like better: Memtest86+ or memtest86?

dxbladexd

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
ya its an established computer it did fine until I installed win 7 64 bit from win XP 32 bit. So I am guessing that might have triggered the problem, but I cant seem to find why cause I dont think there was any wrong with OS installation.

pat

Expert
Windows 7 has better memory management and stress out the memory more than XP. While Memtest is good for finding errors, the fact that it run alone without any component stressing the system may indicate that the memory voltage may not be able to hold stable while the computer is running and loaded.

Go into BIOS and give the ram voltage a little more voltage to help to compensate. Maybe your PSU is loosing a bit power too so that might help.

Have you been monitoring your temps and voltages? Install HWMonitor. A bad PSU can cause crashes--so can overheating.

There's a respectable chance your Windows install is broken. You can try another HDD with a different Windows install or reinstall.

Uninstall any antivirus programs you have, uninstall display driver and then run driversweeper from http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html then reinstall driver, download ccleaner and run ccleaner to clear temp files and then run its registry cleaner.

once you have done this run programs like you normally would to see if you can reproduce the crash, if it does not then reinstall antivirus and see if it crashes again, more often than not i have found bad antivirus updates to cause a majority of bsods and system problems. if it does crash then choose a different antivirus, i would reccomend eset smart security or mse if you want a free one, stay clear of AVG and AVIRA, have had more problems than not with them.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

Correct dear chap

Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.

From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

From here you will now play the waiting game, when the BSOD happens again it will stay on your screen.
On this screen you will notice some or many 0x**** codes
These are your stop codes.
Make a note of atleast 5 of the codes.

Post results on here and watch the resolution appear like magic

[quoteFound one!! They are like this rite?
0x0000001e(0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8000329e137, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffffffffffffff)
][/quote]

This error is caused by a faulty driver, Have you looked in the resource and performance monitor, located in control panel\all control panel items\performance information and tools\advanced tools\generate system health report ?