Sign in with
Your question

First Built Desktop PC, no video.

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2012 8:06:12 PM

Basically, I'm putting together my computer. I've installed the CPU w/ heatsink, RAM, and PSU. Plugged in the 8-pin CPU power connector, and 24 ATX power connector. I just wanted to test to see if it comes up and runs, before I slap everything in the case. The MOBO comes with a built in graphic cards.

So when I turn it on(plugged in VGA, even tried HDMI), the PSU and CPU fans run, but no video on screen.

Should I not be worried about this, or just continue with the build and see what happens when EVERYTHING is put together.

Below are my specs:
Computer Case: Rosewill FBM-01 Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case (Model:FBM-01)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:GA-880GM-USB3)

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply (Model:RS500-PCARD3-US)

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX (Model:FD4100WMGUSBX)

Memory/RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (Model:F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST31000524AS)

Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 (Model:iHAS124-04)

More about : built desktop video

January 23, 2012 8:14:17 PM

Go through and make sure all of your power connecters and ram are connected and seated properly. I worked for dell for years, and 90% of the no video issues i ran into were from cards/ram not seated properly.

If this doesnt work, remove your cmos battery, and leave it out for about 10 minutes, with the system unplugged. Alternately, you can move the clrcmos jumper to the correct pins to clear your cmos(this should be explained in your motherboard manual)

If you still don't get any video, try booting without any ram installed at all and see if that works. If it does, add one stick at a time until it doesn't.

If booting without ram installed doesn't change anything, try the power supply in a different system or try another known working power supply in yours.

If none of these things make a difference, you've narrowed it down to your motherboard or processor. CPU's have a VERY low failure rate, but you might take it out, and make sure there are not any bent pins. If there are, and you trust yourself to do it, you can try to straighten them(when I've had to do this I use a straight pin)

If none of the things listed above change anything, I would RMA the motherboard first, then the processor. Be forewarned, if your CPU has bent pins, they will not take it back.

Edit: One of the first things I should have mentioned, are your motherboard standoffs all installed?
m
l
January 23, 2012 8:26:35 PM

No to the standoffs.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2012 8:26:50 PM

Thanks for the quick reply BTW.
m
l
January 23, 2012 8:38:13 PM

Just make sure you have the right amount of standoffs for your board. If there is a standoff where there isn't a screw hole in your board chances are it's shorted out.
m
l
!