Help with Dell Power On

lawstp

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron LMT desktop. Tried to get out of sleep mode. Amber light on power button but no sound from machine. Monitor is connected but no signal from hard drive. I hold power button in to shut down. Again no noise. When I turn on power button again I get the amber light again and no sound from machine. I have reconnected all cords.

Solution
If it is a solid amber light, it's most likely the power supply. I would lean toward that, especially is no fans start turning when you power it on.

lawstp

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Yes, it was definitely the power supply. When the power supply died it shorted out my motherboard too. The computer repair guy I use has had 5 other Dells brought into his shop in the last week with same power supply problem. All 14 - 15 months old and just out of warranty. Dell definitely had a bad batch of computers go out the door. Seems like they would probably be aware of this issue by now. Of course you can't speak to them without paying them first. Has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth for Dells.

MissTyler

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
** Idk if y'all solved your power problem, (I realise this thread was started over a yr ago) but the same thing was happening to me. I found a bizarre solution that absolutely worked and continues to- still.
You have to heat up the power source to the computer, i.e. heat the cord where it goes into the back of the tower. It's kind of a pain so I leave my computer on all the time to avoid having to do it but if the power goes out this is what I've been doing (ever since I read this online somewhere a couple yrs ago):
** Get a blow dryer, turn it on high/hot setting, and aim it at the back of your computer tower where the power cord plugs into it. Hold the blow dryer ~3 inches away, or however far u need to so the blow dryer doesn't overheat from hot air blowing back at it (which, if this happens, u hafta let the dryer cool off for a while- I speed things up by blowing hard into the mouth of it 5 or 6 times till it comes back on).
- Sometimes it takes 1 minute of heating the power source b4 my computer will power on and sometimes it takes 4 min. Since I hate having to stand there holding the blow dryer and pressing the power button every 20 secs to see if it will turn on, I turn on the blow dryer and set it on a pillow I put behind the tower. I arrange the pillow so that when I set the blow dryer on it, it's is at the right height, positioned so that the hot air is blowing out a few inches from where the power cord goes into the back of the tower, and then I leave it alone for a few minutes. When I come back in and press the power button, it lights up and my computer starts every time. Yes, it sounds retarded, I know.
So that's it. When I read this solution I was 99% doubtful myself, but since nothing else worked to get the dang thing to power up, I figured I had nothing to lose. It was crazy great when I pressed the power button and it stayed lit, and I said "Thank-you Lord!" when my monitor lit up a second later. :-D