Onboard VS Dedicated Sound Card?

DarthGadget

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I wanted to know whether a dedicated sound card was really worth it compared to onboard audio
Here are the parts:

Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/363228

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional Series
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/340550

Now apparently the Mobo has pritty decent onboard but since im going to be doing alot of gaming I wanted to see whether the dedicate card was worth it for £112

Any help would be apperciated :D

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Unless you have expensive speakers, you don't really need them.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you are an audiophile with hearing sensitive to delicate differences, then go for the dedicated sound card. But the Realtek ALC887 8-Channel High Def sound chip on the motherboard is really quite good. And if you are a gamer, you'll be too busy to notice the differences even if you were an audiophile. And, unless the dedicated sound card has its own processor, you will still loose a few clock cycles even with the dedicated card.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I've used both the onboard sound with my motherboard and a dedicated Asus Xonar card which received good reviews. I can't tell a difference between the two...sound cards seem to be going the way of the dodo for mainstream gaming, frankly.

^^ Again, depends on the speakers/headphones used. Getting a $1000 soundcard won't do squat to a $20 set of speakers.

In just the past 4 years, I've gone through 4 soundcards [ExtremeGamer, Razer Barracuda, ASUS Xonar D2, ASUS Xonar Xense] and about 6 different headsets. There were significant differences depending on the exact setup.

aadamjohnsons

Honorable
May 7, 2012

sk1939

Distinguished

The best solution is to try on board and see. If you feel that it is lacking, then by all means, buy the sound card, but I would not until I've heard it, really tried it over a decent period, first.

mricham

Honorable
May 23, 2012

why is the Recn 3D series not good ???