Which gaming mouse to buy?

welliam

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I love heavy 3D games and high end PC hardware so I need advise which gaming mouse to choose there are plenty of them.

I play mostly FPS and RTS
My budget up to $100

Thanks

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
The mice that seem to score highly in most of the reviews I've read are from;
Razer; Naga (rts) and Mamba (fps)

Logitech; G9x, G700 (w/less), G500

Saitek's RAT 9 (w/less), RAT 7

But there are many more fine gaming mice out there. It really comes down to what features you want, ie dps adjusment and range, polling reporting rate, how many customizable buttons you require, adjustable weight, battery life (if you go wireless) and most importantly, comfort, how does the damn thing feel? I personally use both the RAT7 and G9x. Both are good mice and I like the adjusability of the RAT, but it's twin laser sensor may be a tad too sensitive as it has been known to pick up vibrations from a maxed out case fan and start to 'creep'.

Hope that helps, good luck with your mouse hunt.

I love my Razer DeathAdder, which is currently $45. Your best bet is to try as many of them as possible out in person.

IMO, the keyboard is a more important peripheral than the mouse. Your mouse should be solid, but it doesn't have to be crazy. If you have any opportunity at all, give a mechanical keyboard a try. I swear my Das has changed my life. These things are incredible. You can get a Razer BlackWidow for $80.

welliam

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Thanks alot for all wonderful advises. I wish if I can try every one of them and then decide but I cant.

@A Little Black Duck:
I have RAT 7 and it start to make double clicks with a single click also it is flat and not very comfortable. will you tell me your experience with the G9X ?

The most two things I am looking for is comfort and precision for both 3D Games and graphics software.

@kajabla Thanks I will try to get a mechanical keyboard but plz tell me your experience with the DeathAdder as for comfort and precision

@TOTAL NOOB Thanks. I did not heard about this company or mouse before! and it won alot of prizes !! I will read the reviews carefully.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I find the G9x to be a very good mouse. A very large dpi range (200-5700), adjustable weights, scroll wheel gear shift (click or freespin on mouse wheel), braided cord, and onboard memory (profiles are stored on mouse). Setting of macros and key assignments is pretty easy with set point and I quite like the auto profile loading. But I did find the 2 side buttons to be too close together, it was too easy to hit the wrong one. I moved it to another pc when the LMB started to 'misfire' during frag sessions But it is also a rather flat mouse, sort of wedge shaped, so if you're not a fan of 'flat' mice, I would suggest you look at the G500 or G700. tbh, I picked up the G700 today to replace my rat as the vibration pick up was starting to annoy me, haven't had the double click problem, so can't help with that sorry. As for the G700, so far I can say, after using 'flat' mice/rat for the last few years, the more traditional humped mouse feels alittle different, but comfortable none the less (so far), slides nicely for being quite a heavy mouse, and has more programable buttons than I'll ever use.................probably. But so far, I can't say the hunt for the perfect mouse is over.
Hope that helps, good luck with the mouse hunt.

The DeathAdder's more comfortable than any I've used, but I haven't the others being talked about here :p
It's got four buttons (plus the wheel, which doesn't count). If you want more, stay away. It hasn't mattered to me, though.
IMO it's a fantastic mouse. You honestly can't possibly need more precision than 3600dpi, and the customization app is plenty complicated. You can easily make macros for any button—I have my two side buttons changing my iTunes track (a little Autohotkey goodness).
It's probably a little heavier than most small mice. It's rather large, overall. Lay it out with a ruler to see what you're getting into; it measures 5" by 2.75".

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I love my Razer DeathAdder too, very good mouse and perfect for people who use palm grip like me. I also recommend the Razer Imperator for your price range.

Sure a keyboard is more important for typing but for gaming, especially FPS games, a decent mouse is much more important than a decent keyboard. Any ol' keyboard will do for gaming.

Mechanical keyboards are very good, I've owend a few and I wouldn't go back to a keyboard with rubber domes.

welliam

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
@A Little Black Duck: obviously you are heavy gamer like me. mice of these days are too week for us lol

@kajabla thanks alot for measuring the mouse to me. 5" is even taller than RAT 7!

@gothems Thanks alot for advices. since I play FPS most and RTS mouse is more important to me at the time but will get a mechanic keyboard later.

really chatting with gamers is part of the fun. thanks to all :)

DumboDog

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Get a trackball. They are much better for gaming than mouses, although I'm sure there are matters of personal preference involved. With a trackball, when you're not using the keyboard, you can put both hands on the mouse/trackball controls and get more control over aim and motion. The GTA series is a good example of games that play better with trackballs. Keyboard intensive games of the Quake type, however, work better with mice.

For trackball, I prefer the Logitech wireless. Theoretically (theoretically...) they are more sluggish than their non-wireless trackball twin brothers. But having eulogized and buried many trackballs over the years, I can testify that wireless is better because they last years rather than the six months that a trackball will. Why? Because trackballs often end up in your lap being tugged left and right and tossed around. They cords take a lot more abuse and then they die.