Stop motion transfer to computer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 15, 2005 11:16:56 PM

Can Premier Pro import single digital camera frames in real time? I need to
import approximately one frame per second continuously. (for several hours)
What digital camera would you recommend for this application?

Thanks, Don and Liz

May 17, 2005 6:58:32 PM

Didn't you enquire about this before?
Some Canon cameras will allow you to capture shots directly to the PC at
regular intervals via USB
Software is provided with the camera.
What resolution would you be shooting at?

Ian

"LOP" <castles@yestertronics.com> wrote in message
> Can Premier Pro import single digital camera frames in real time? I need
> to import approximately one frame per second continuously. (for several
> hours) What digital camera would you recommend for this application?
>
> Thanks, Don and Liz

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:40:36 PM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:16:56 -0700, LOP wrote:

> Can Premier Pro import single digital camera frames in real time? I need to
> import approximately one frame per second continuously. (for several hours)
> What digital camera would you recommend for this application?

Michael Freeman's "Pro Digital Photographer's Handbook" doesn't
address the sequential capturing of images. It does note that a
number of manufacturers offer WiFi solutions for transmitting images
using protocols such as TCP/IP and FTP. It provides one example,
Nikon's WT-1 transmitter connected to a D2H camera. One frame per
second will probably be too fast for WiFi if the images are large.

Firewire or USB 2.0 hi-speed can be used to bypass the flash
cards, sending the images directly to a computer. Another section
of the book shows several screen shots of Nikon Capture 3.5, which
can be send the pictures directly to a computer, but none of the
screens show any options for taking multiple pictures sequentially.
It may be in there, just as it may be in either a newer version of
the program, or in third-party software. If the camera's own menu
allows the kind of sequential picture taking you want to do, it may
not be necessary for computer app's. such as Nikon Capture to
duplicate those sequential options, as long as they are able to
redirect the saving of images from flash cards to computer hard
disks.
Related resources
May 17, 2005 11:38:06 PM

I would say no to Premiere, although technically Adobe could make this
possible if they wanted to.

You are looking at time lapse photography. Canon do a timer remote
controller for their DSLR's, which allows you to take a photo every 'X'
amount of seconds. If you want to take one frame a second for several
hours, you will be looking at 10,800 images! You could do this, but you
will have problems with file sizes depending on the resolution/file format
used and the memory card size, which is probably why you are asking if you
can use Premiere to capture the images.

I am not sure what software was used, but I have seen high-end studios with
the camera connected to a PC with hard wiring, whereby the photographer took
the shots, and they were transferred straight onto the PC for analysis by
the guy on the PC.

Canon also do a wireless LAN transmitter (WFT-E2), but this will only send
1MB per a second, which is no use for your needs if it is high res.

Of course, you have got to ask the question to yourself, would a video
camera that can capture 30 frames a second be adequate for what you want?
This could be captured to Premiere if required, via Firewire. Or maybe you
need high res pics?

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of a way to capture high res
photos from a DSLR to PC in real time at this rate.

"LOP" <castles@yestertronics.com> wrote in message
> Can Premier Pro import single digital camera frames in real time? I need
> import approximately one frame per second continuously. (for several
hours)
> What digital camera would you recommend for this application?
>
> Thanks, Don and Liz

News==----
Newsgroups
=----
May 20, 2005 11:06:03 PM

I would say no to Premiere, although technically Adobe could make this
possible if they wanted to.

You are looking at time lapse photography. Canon do a timer remote
controller for their DSLR's, which allows you to take a photo every 'X'
amount of seconds. If you want to take one frame a second for several
hours, you will be looking at 10,800 images! You could do this, but you
will have problems with file sizes depending on the resolution/file format
used and the memory card size, which is probably why you are asking if you
can use Premiere to capture the images.

I am not sure what software was used, but I have seen high-end studios with
the camera connected to a PC with hard wiring, whereby the photographer took
the shots, and they were transferred straight onto the PC for analysis by
the guy on the PC.

Canon also do a wireless LAN transmitter (WFT-E2), but this will only send
1MB per a second, which is no use for your needs if it is high res.

Of course, you have got to ask the question to yourself, would a video
camera that can capture 30 frames a second be adequate for what you want?
This could be captured to Premiere if required, via Firewire. Or maybe you
need high res pics?

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of a way to capture high res
photos from a DSLR to PC in real time at this rate.

"LOP" <castles@yestertronics.com> wrote in message
> Can Premier Pro import single digital camera frames in real time? I need
> import approximately one frame per second continuously. (for several
hours)
> What digital camera would you recommend for this application?
>
> Thanks, Don and Liz

News==----
Newsgroups
=----