Graphics Card Upgrade: From HD 6770

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. My current graphics card has been nothing but trouble so I'm looking for an alternative and maybe something slightly better.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:

■Within the next two weeks.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

■Most important: Gaming, Battlefield 3 and games alike.
■Least important: Watching HD video

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:

■GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 (GDDR5, 1GB)
■PSU: XFX Core Edition 550W (further specs: XFX Specs)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

■CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 (2.6GHz)
■MoBo: MSI 870-G45 (AM3, ATX Form)
■Memory: 2x2GB Corsair XMS (DDR3, 1333MHz)
■Cooling: CPU Heatsink, Single 80mm fan
■Case: Standard Media Case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:

Overclockers
Scan
Aria

Any reputable UK site is fine.

PARTS PREFERENCES:

■I'm interested in the GTX type cards, I'm not tied to them so if you have any other suggestions, they're welcome.

OVERCLOCKING:

■Overclocking: Maybe
■SLI/Crossfire: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION:

■1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

■Budget: £120
■I'm not looking for a card to play Battlefield 3 on ultra settings. Just a card within my price range that will give me a fair FPS on medium, even high if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
If you wanted to purchase tonight, then a GTX 560 Ti would be a great addition to your system. I would recommend waiting until November 29th for the GTX 560 Ti "refresh", should be around the same price as a "Ti" with GTX 570-like performance.

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks for such quick responses :)

The GTX 560 Ti is a nice card but way out of my price range...

I couldn't see myself going with an ATi card again, not that I look down on them.. Just because Nvidia seem to be doing better, guess that's marketing from BF3 though. Still I'll take a look at this card. :)

Purple, have you had any personal experience using the 6850, to give an example of how it performs?

Lol I don't mean to interrogate but I'm trying to be a little more careful this time around.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I thought the pound was doing better, but after a quick conversion I see that your budget is about 185 dollars.

In that case, wait until the GTX 560 Ti "refresh" is released in a few days and see if that drops the price of the regular "Ti" version.

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Haha, yes currency is a bit all over the place at the moment. I heard the dollar had gone down by something like .2 in its value. Economy is crazy but I don't like numbers too much I'll keep away.

Thanks for the information, I will keep a look out.. If I could grab a card like that well, that would be pretty damn good.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
The economy is bad, and I think the dollar is getting a tiny bit stronger only because the EU is having trouble as well.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next few weeks on the "Ti", maybe you'll get a lucky break.

120 euros is actually $160 in US.But because the OP is in the UK you can expect that prices will be a lot higher for something like a 6850.So I believe it's the best bang for your buck that you can get.

I haven't had direct experience with a 6850 but I have had experience with the 6870(the 6850's big brother).Currently I can play BF3 on high settings and maintain roughly 50 fps +.I have been very pleased with it and it's treated me well for the past year.Hopefully this Christmas I can get another for crossfire and max out BF3 with all the eye candy!!!!

Here's a review..

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_CrossFire/4.html

The GTX560ti (refresh or not) would be a great card for you but I just don't see it within your price range.The "refresh" is said to have more KUDA cores and be more on par with a GTX570 which means it will cost more.And since it doesn't directly compare to the regular GTX560ti I doubt the price will ldrop.

Sick Jargon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
50+ fps with the 6870 on high, which is only £15 more than the 6850. I'm wondering if it might be worth going with the 6870 in this case.

I understand ATi cards come with a wattage recommendation but how many amps does your card require?

Thanks for all your help and the quick replies. Much appreciated. :)

There is no reason not to get the 6870 for 10 more you get a card that is as fast as the other card could ever be overclock.