PS3 Blu-Ray drive may be 2X or faster

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Why Blu-Ray? For the clueless, millions of polygons, more AI, high
resolution textures with multiple layers, huge level maps with
streaming load times = large amounts of data at high data rates. DVD is
so yesterday.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=10531

PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive may run faster than expected
Double-speed drives will be available prior to machine's launch

Sony's PlayStation 3 may be equipped with faster than expected Blu-ray
drives at launch, as it has emerged that a speedier format will be
available before the next generation machine is ready for retail.

The PlayStation 3 was originally mooted to launch with a single (1X,
36Mbit per second) speed drive to run its optical media. But with the
arrival of 2X (72Mbps) drives this autumn, it's hoped that by the time
PS3 launches in Japan in spring 2006, faster formats will be readily
available, with potential for the multimedia machine to run up to 4X,
costs permitting.

Sony has yet to confirm the speed of the drive used for PS3, and its
specification is open to change over the next few months - but given
that some first generation Blu-ray drives are 2X, it's quite possible
that will be the minimum Sony will aim for.

For its part, Microsoft has elected to stick with the existing DVD
standard in Xbox 360 - although comments from Bill Gates back at the
end of June suggested that the company might be considering a move to
HD-DVD, a Toshiba-backed rival format to Blu-Ray, at some point in the
lifespan of the console.

Blig Merk wrote:
> Why Blu-Ray? For the clueless, millions of polygons, more AI, high
> resolution textures with multiple layers, huge level maps with
> streaming load times = large amounts of data at high data rates. DVD is
> so yesterday.
>
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=10531
>
> PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive may run faster than expected
> Double-speed drives will be available prior to machine's launch
>
> Sony's PlayStation 3 may be equipped with faster than expected Blu-ray
> drives at launch, as it has emerged that a speedier format will be
> available before the next generation machine is ready for retail.
>
> The PlayStation 3 was originally mooted to launch with a single (1X,
> 36Mbit per second) speed drive to run its optical media. But with the
> arrival of 2X (72Mbps) drives this autumn, it's hoped that by the time
> PS3 launches in Japan in spring 2006, faster formats will be readily
> available, with potential for the multimedia machine to run up to 4X,
> costs permitting.
>
> Sony has yet to confirm the speed of the drive used for PS3, and its
> specification is open to change over the next few months - but given
> that some first generation Blu-ray drives are 2X, it's quite possible
> that will be the minimum Sony will aim for.
>
> For its part, Microsoft has elected to stick with the existing DVD
> standard in Xbox 360 - although comments from Bill Gates back at the
> end of June suggested that the company might be considering a move to
> HD-DVD, a Toshiba-backed rival format to Blu-Ray, at some point in the
> lifespan of the console.

You're an idiot.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Yes, Sony will probably put the fastest drive possible in the system like
they did with the PSX and PS2...

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why Blu-Ray? For the clueless, millions of polygons, more AI, high
> resolution textures with multiple layers, huge level maps with
> streaming load times = large amounts of data at high data rates. DVD is
> so yesterday.
>
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/news.php?aid=10531
>
> PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive may run faster than expected
> Double-speed drives will be available prior to machine's launch
>
> Sony's PlayStation 3 may be equipped with faster than expected Blu-ray
> drives at launch, as it has emerged that a speedier format will be
> available before the next generation machine is ready for retail.
>
> The PlayStation 3 was originally mooted to launch with a single (1X,
> 36Mbit per second) speed drive to run its optical media. But with the
> arrival of 2X (72Mbps) drives this autumn, it's hoped that by the time
> PS3 launches in Japan in spring 2006, faster formats will be readily
> available, with potential for the multimedia machine to run up to 4X,
> costs permitting.
>
> Sony has yet to confirm the speed of the drive used for PS3, and its
> specification is open to change over the next few months - but given
> that some first generation Blu-ray drives are 2X, it's quite possible
> that will be the minimum Sony will aim for.
>
> For its part, Microsoft has elected to stick with the existing DVD
> standard in Xbox 360 - although comments from Bill Gates back at the
> end of June suggested that the company might be considering a move to
> HD-DVD, a Toshiba-backed rival format to Blu-Ray, at some point in the
> lifespan of the console.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I was only clarifying who Negrodamus is.

"Mattinglyfan" <kyler_jai@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Paul Mooney!

....is a racist, retardophobe.

Cyrus

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <VGNIe.45$546.17@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
babanoosh <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote:

> Well spoken and EXACTLY right.
>
> My opinion (on top of that), Blu-Ray will be overshadowed by cheaper and
> higher capacity media (for storage) before it even gets close to
> ubiquity. HD-DVD will lead the way of DVD successor with H.264 compression.

Thank you for your predictions, negrodamus.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

that cuts your previous time down from 3.9 seconds to UNDER TWO SECONDS,
and that's only when you're mom is present! imagine if it was a GIRL ?

bluray is so gonna change your life

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why Blu-Ray? For the clueless, --snip--, more AI,
> --snip--

ROFL! Can't wait for the Blu-Ray super enhanced AI, that's just amazing! ;)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Bilgecunt wrote:

<snip>

Your incessant reuse of the platitude "xflop full circle for the next
five years" is amusing, especially since Kenny K. hopes the PS3 will
have a TEN-year lifespan. By your so-called logic, that's twice the
uselessness.

Blig Merk wrote:
> You stupid fricking pinhead. This has NOTHING to do with WRITE media.
> When are you mite minds going to realize this? This is about Blu-Ray
> PLAYERS and Blu-Ray ROM (Read Only Memory). This cost babbling has no
> connection to the Blu-Ray READER and the Blu-Ray ROM in the PS3. Both
> of these are VERY INEXPENSIVE. Blu-Ray ROM costs a few cents per disk
> to manufacture. Of course, the Blu-Ray WRITER and the Blu-Ray WRITE
> media are going to be more expensive. When the Blu-Ray stand-alone
> PLAYERS start showing up this fall/winter, they will be about $500 to
> $700 for the low-end models.

So I guess the fallacy will be that you'll be paying MORE for games huh?
Alas, no correlation huh? I s'pose lots of people are going to be overly
optimistic about "read only memory" only. Ok Sony boy, you go buy into
your blu-ray reader, and join the ranks of BetaMax owners world-wide. I
think I'll wait for it to prove itself before ejaculating over it. Gotta
give you credit though, If everyone in the world were as shortsighted
and close-minded as you, Sony would rule the world.

> Of course there are going to be other types of media IN THE FUTURE,
> numbskull. That does not mean they are here NOW.

Like Blu-Ray's obscurity? It's been in perpetual development (for the N.
American market) FOREVER! Where it is available, nobody is buying it. By
the time it'll make sense, there may very well be better and lower cost
alternatives.

Geezuz, you are a
> stupid dickwad.

Yeah, this coming from the guy that things blu-ray is going to magically
make graphics better. Well, you're partially right. Considering it will
be another decade before any devs can figure out how to maximize the
cell arch, you're going to need plenty of cut-scene movies to get you
through the lonely times. I prefer Hollywood myself :) Better get to
your blu-ray crusader comic books. :)

Blig Merk wrote:
> You stupid fricking pinhead.

BTw, what is a "fricking"?

On 6 Aug 2005 08:53:44 -0700, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Let's see. How to explain AI (Artificial Intelligence) to an imbecile
>with NI (No Intelligence)? AI is about BEHAVIORS. Complex behaviors
>involve a lot of data. Scenes with hundreds of characters with
>individual behaviors involve even more data. The characters and scenes
>with millions of polygons are not just stored on the ROM , you idiot,
>they are on the screen. And AI is not just done with just calculations,
>there is a lot of data that has to be processed and exchanged. More AI
>is having characters not only just moving independently but having
>expressions to match the motion, like surprise, fear, contentment,
>consternation, puzzling, realization, crying, laughing, not as just
>programming-in character animation but in dynamic response to
>interaction with scene elements. This is even more data. More data
>equals more memory. More memory equals more data being transferred at
>faster rates, unless you like looking at load progress indicators. If
>you just have a lot of characters without individual behaviors, then
>the scene looks like a bunch of clones or robots with repetitive
>motions and actions. Oh wait, xflop fanfairies love monotonous
>repetitiveness.

The situation you describe, with the AI using a lot of pre-built data
rather than real-time calculations, is actually much more likely to
result in repetitive motions.

andyt

"Andy Turner" <andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>>Let's see. How to explain AI (Artificial Intelligence) to an imbecile
>>with NI (No Intelligence)? AI is about BEHAVIORS. Complex behaviors
>>involve a lot of data. Scenes with hundreds of characters with
>>individual behaviors involve even more data. The characters and scenes
>>with millions of polygons are not just stored on the ROM , you idiot,
>>they are on the screen. And AI is not just done with just calculations,
>>there is a lot of data that has to be processed and exchanged. More AI
>>is having characters not only just moving independently but having
>>expressions to match the motion, like surprise, fear, contentment,
>>consternation, puzzling, realization, crying, laughing, not as just
>>programming-in character animation but in dynamic response to
>>interaction with scene elements. This is even more data. More data
>>equals more memory. More memory equals more data being transferred at
>>faster rates, unless you like looking at load progress indicators.

psss... The PS3 will have a slower transfer rate than the XBox. Sorry.

>>If
>>you just have a lot of characters without individual behaviors, then
>>the scene looks like a bunch of clones or robots with repetitive
>>motions and actions. Oh wait, xflop fanfairies love monotonous
>>repetitiveness.
>
> The situation you describe, with the AI using a lot of pre-built data
> rather than real-time calculations, is actually much more likely to
> result in repetitive motions.

He has a point about expressions, etc, but those aren't AI, and is
insignificant in the realm of gigabytes.
The AI only would be like data for state machines, or what not, but that's
insignificant in the realm of gigabytes.

Basically, he's inane.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:47:07 -0400, "Zackman"
<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

>Blig Merk wrote:
>

>> faster formats will be readily available, with potential for the multimedia
>> machine to run up to 4X, costs permitting.
>
>Blu-ray is overkill for most video games and may end up being the Beta of HD
>DVD movie formats, but no matter! In fact, why stop there? Surely there's
>some experimental new 250 GB per disc optical drive technology that Sony
>could use instead.

Indeed. The PS2 of course supports dual layer DVD for up to 9GB, but
games are usually no more than half that. Games have been crying out
for more processing power, not more pre-built data capacity.

andyt