Sign in with
Your question

Stuck in a boot loop

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2012 11:19:22 PM

So i recently built a computer essentially from scratch, and while i would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on the hardware side of things, i am near clueless when it comes to the software side of things, and that is where i think the issue is.
Set-up
MSI 970A-G45 AMD 970 Socket AM3+
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 1333 (PC3 10666)
Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1/16 bit Sound Car
MSI R6770 Video card

All of those parts are new, from my old computer i transferred over
640GB WD HDD running windows 7 64 bit
600W Ultra Xfinity PSU

The computer is booting up, and it makes it to the starting windows screen and about a second into that it freezes up and a very quick blue screen pops up and it resets. How would i go about either a) testing to see what the issue could be or b) resolving the issue if you can already tell what it is.

More about : stuck boot loop

January 23, 2012 11:28:56 PM

Do you have an ssd in your build? I don't see one listed just want to verify.

It sounds like you may have a corrupt install of windows. Did you wipe the hdd from your old computer that you reused before putting it in the new one?
m
l
January 23, 2012 11:32:10 PM

No, the only thing i have hooked up now is the 640GB HDD, i have another 1TB storage HDD but i Haven't even bothered hooking that up yet until i can get it running. I have not wipe the drive at all, it was the first thing i thought when windows didnt boot, but i wasnt really sure if that would do anything beneficial
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2012 11:42:26 PM

this windows is oem or retail
m
l
January 23, 2012 11:44:37 PM

Were you able to get any info from the blue screen?

Edit: A clean install of Windows might fix the problem.
m
l
January 23, 2012 11:47:30 PM

By OEM do you mean that it is the HDD/OS that came with the machine? If so then yes, the 640GB/ windows 7 OS came with the generic HP that i was using previously. Although at one point i did have to recover the computer and use a set of recovery disks, which are for HP computers only

And no i couldnt get an info from the Blue screen, it was way to quick to read any of it. How would i go about doing a clean install of windows?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2012 11:52:33 PM

you could try the recovery on the 1 tb not shure it will work since it's for hp remove the 640 before doing this
m
l
January 24, 2012 2:06:43 PM

fresh install of windows should fix it. You should always wipe a hdd when you put it in a new rig and it will host your OS
m
l
!