AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Compatibility Questions

TartarControl

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hello everyone,

I was recently looking into purchasing a new cpu for my gaming computer and was curious if the AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition will work with my current motherboard. The motherboard I have is an ASUS M3A78-EM. It is an AM2+ socket and I wanted to make sure that the AM3 cpu will work with it. I notice that on the support list for ASUS, it states that the 965 will work, but the product number was different than what it is for the black edition. Will I still be okay if those numbers don't match up? They look like identical products, just one includes the fan, from what I can tell. On the same note, will the 975 black edition work with this board? It does not look to be on the support list, but seems to be just a different clock speed. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to purchase something and have it not work. Thanks in advance.

popatim

Titan
All the PhenomII c3 stepping cpu's require motherboard version 1.03G so verify which board you have before ordering a cpu. The 975 is not supported on any version board it seems.

The part number on asus's site is for the actual cpu. The part number you see on sites like newegg are typically for the boxed edition which as you know, contains a heatsink, fan, AMD Sticker, and thermal paste (on the heatsink).

TartarControl

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Popatim, how do I check to make sure the motherboard version is 1.03g? I can not seem to find that info anywhere. I have upgraded to the latest bios version, which is 2701, just for some additional info. I am sort of new to doing a bunch of this stuff, so I greatly appreciate the help thus far.

Edit: I did find the version on CPUz and it states it is X.0x. Does that mean that the 965 will not work with this motherboard? What exactly do the x's stand for?