Sign in with
Your question

Remove the heat issue?

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2012 10:22:15 PM

Hi I have read a bit about the heat issue of Ivy Bridge. Would replacing the thermal paste make no difference, make it less of a problem, or make it disappear?

More about : remove heat issue

a c 283 à CPUs
May 6, 2012 11:42:13 PM

You're taking about the TIM under the IHS right? Well, obviously removing the IHS is a bad idea in the first place, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, but no, it's doubtful that replacing the TIM with any other type will help. If that's truly the problem, it's the fact that they used TIM at all, instead of solder like on SB CPU's.
a c 309 à CPUs
May 7, 2012 2:38:25 AM

+1^
Here's what the previous poster is referring to: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:70...

I'm thinking, however, you were referring to the normal thermal compound between the HS/F and the CPU. Using something like Arctic Silver may help a bit, but the weak link may still be the Intel thermal compound on the underside of the integrated heat spreader.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
May 7, 2012 2:51:19 AM

clutchc said:
+1^
Here's what the previous poster is referring to: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:70...

I'm thinking, however, you were referring to the normal thermal compound between the HS/F and the CPU. Using something like Arctic Silver may help a bit, but the weak link may still be the Intel thermal compound on the underside of the integrated heat spreader.

Haha, you're probably right. I went WAY more in depth than I probably had to. :p 
May 7, 2012 8:10:33 AM

Does the retail units use solder or TIM?

Am I correct in assuming this does not affect a non overclocking processor as much? (The 3770).
May 7, 2012 8:18:54 AM

And yes I was referring to the normal thermal compound.
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:48:40 AM

why all this big fuss over nothing? ITS NOTHING use as normal get over it there fine no issues
May 7, 2012 9:28:12 AM

Yeah that is one way to think about it.
!