Which GeForce 560 (non-Ti) should I get (video processing)

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This is the 4th time I've asked this and I still haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone do video editing at all?

Anyway, to my question. Since Black Friday is around, and the Christmas shopping season is active, I might find a GeForce 560 (non-Ti) at price within my rather low budget. I only intend on using this for video processing, not gaming (my gaming comes through console systems). At first, it'll be in Virtual Dub, but after all my other upgrades are done, I'll likely move to Sony Vegas where I could make use of GPU-accelerated processing. Would the 560 be a good card for this? I know the 7600 GT that I have now isn't, far from it. My budget is a fairly low $150. Perhaps there's a 560 Ti available at that price that I could make use of? This budget assumes no rebates (I don't really trust rebates anyway). I prefer Newegg, though TigerDirect is a secondary option and Ebay is a last resort. I have no idea on the differences between the brands, but low cost, reliable, and quiet are my highest priorities.

I do know that the 560 (even the 590) would work with my hardware, including the PSU (62 amps on the single +12V rail with 4 (?) PCI-express connectors is a lot). It's just whether or not the 560 would work for my video editing needs that I don't know.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

4745454b

Titan
All of the 560s should perform about the same. OC'd models will do this slightly faster, but it doesn't matter who made the card. If you're worried about reliability, then get a good reviewed model.

The GTX460 is a good idea, just make sure to avoid the 768MB model.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
What's bad about the 768 MB model? I can't get that cheap Zotac one because Newegg is out of stock meaning that I'll have to wait for it to get in stock. I'm considering the 1 GB version anyway but definitely not the 2 GB version (32-bit OS means I have to watch the memory). I was considering the 560 because I've heard that the 4xx series has problems that were supposedly fixed on the 5xx series (with the Fermi).

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
The zotac card is not out of stock in newegg for me. check again.
The 768MB model has 192 bit bandwidth compared to256 bit in the 1GB model. Moreover the 460GTX is a solid card. Check the review before purchase for your own satisfaction.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I did check again, even before I posted - it is out of stock on both occasions. It must be a regional difference or something then.

What effect does the bit bandwidth have?

Reviews seem to be fairly low, though misleading because nearly all the 1- and 2-star reviews are because of rebate issues, completely irrelevant to the card itself.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well, I've bookmarked the 460 linked to in the reply. I'll have to check that item at Newegg repeatedly until it becomes available. I've already made 5 checks today but, since nothing runs on weekends (I really hate that), I may have to wait until Monday.