USB GSM Modem ?

Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
overwhelming.

Feel free to reply directly to me at
per dot laursen at mail dot dk
5 answers Last reply
More about modem

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:37:59
    +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

    >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
    >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
    >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
    >overwhelming.

    Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004
    20:37:59
    > +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:
    >
    > >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
    > >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
    > >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
    > >overwhelming.
    >
    > Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.

    Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
    'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a USB
    interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232 units +
    power supplies to a PC these days.

    regards
    Per

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <417b6cd7$0$304$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:50:30
    +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

    >> In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:37:59
    >> +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
    >> >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
    >> >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
    >> >overwhelming.
    >>
    >> Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.
    >
    >Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
    >'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a USB
    >interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232 units +
    >power supplies to a PC these days.

    The basic problem is that PCs expect modems to be on serial ports, not USB
    ports, so when a USB cable is used, it's still a virtual serial port.

    > >> Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.
    > >
    > >Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
    > >'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a
    USB
    > >interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232
    units +
    > >power supplies to a PC these days.
    >
    > The basic problem is that PCs expect modems to be on serial ports, not USB
    > ports, so when a USB cable is used, it's still a virtual serial port.

    Virtual serial ports are OK - I do the PC software myself. Currently, I'm
    interfacing the PC to GSM modems via regular RS232 ports, USB-to-serial
    adapters and USB-to-Bluetooth. All I need is access to the AT-command
    interface.

    The USB-to-GSM just seems attractive (if available) because then I wont need
    external mains adapters and a lot of cabling (yes, I know about the power
    limitations of USB).

    GSM modems with PCMCIA is a possible alternative, but requires PCI-to-PCMCIA
    adapters and a PCMCIA card that allows me to place two of them adjacently.
    The current model I have (OvisLink) is too thick at the prodtruding part to
    allow this.

    regards
    Per

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <417b8375$0$293$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:26:59
    +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

    >GSM modems with PCMCIA is a possible alternative, but requires PCI-to-PCMCIA
    >adapters and a PCMCIA card that allows me to place two of them adjacently.
    >The current model I have (OvisLink) is too thick at the prodtruding part to
    >allow this.

    Sony Ericsson GC82 has no such protrusion.

GSM Modem USB