Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB GSM Modem ?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 12:37:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
overwhelming.

Feel free to reply directly to me at
per dot laursen at mail dot dk

More about : usb gsm modem

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 11:31:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:37:59
+0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

>Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
>interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
>I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
>overwhelming.

Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:50:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:p TIed.709$_3.14957@typhoon.sonic.net...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004
20:37:59
> +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:
>
> >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
> >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
> >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
> >overwhelming.
>
> Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.
>

Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a USB
interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232 units +
power supplies to a PC these days.

regards
Per
Related resources
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:50:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <417b6cd7$0$304$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:50:30
+0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:p TIed.709$_3.14957@typhoon.sonic.net...
>>
>> In <417aa50d$0$210$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:37:59
>> +0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:
>>
>> >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
>> >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
>> >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
>> >overwhelming.
>>
>> Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.
>
>Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
>'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a USB
>interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232 units +
>power supplies to a PC these days.

The basic problem is that PCs expect modems to be on serial ports, not USB
ports, so when a USB cable is used, it's still a virtual serial port.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 4:26:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

> >>
> >> >Is anyone here aware of a GSM modem (dual-band will do) with a USB
> >> >interface - preferably powered via the USB ?
> >> >I've googled a bit, but the number of hits on "USB GSM MODEM" is quite
> >> >overwhelming.
> >>
> >> Any GSM phone with (a) a modem and (b) a USB connection.
> >
> >Um - yes - I sort of got to that point... I was thinking more of
> >'industrial-style' GSM modems (example: the Siemens units) - but with a
USB
> >interface. It's a lot easier to interface 10 USB units than 10 RS232
units +
> >power supplies to a PC these days.
>
> The basic problem is that PCs expect modems to be on serial ports, not USB
> ports, so when a USB cable is used, it's still a virtual serial port.
>

Virtual serial ports are OK - I do the PC software myself. Currently, I'm
interfacing the PC to GSM modems via regular RS232 ports, USB-to-serial
adapters and USB-to-Bluetooth. All I need is access to the AT-command
interface.

The USB-to-GSM just seems attractive (if available) because then I wont need
external mains adapters and a lot of cabling (yes, I know about the power
limitations of USB).

GSM modems with PCMCIA is a possible alternative, but requires PCI-to-PCMCIA
adapters and a PCMCIA card that allows me to place two of them adjacently.
The current model I have (OvisLink) is too thick at the prodtruding part to
allow this.

regards
Per
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 12:48:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <417b8375$0$293$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk> on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:26:59
+0200, "Per Laursen" <per.laursen@maNOSPAMil.dk> wrote:

>GSM modems with PCMCIA is a possible alternative, but requires PCI-to-PCMCIA
>adapters and a PCMCIA card that allows me to place two of them adjacently.
>The current model I have (OvisLink) is too thick at the prodtruding part to
>allow this.

Sony Ericsson GC82 has no such protrusion.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!