Sign in with
Your question

Default 6950 "overheating" at 70C?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2011 3:25:41 PM

So I bought a new XFX Radeon HD 6950 2 gig card from Newegg about a month ago, and whenever I play BF3 and the temperature exceeds 65-70, my computer shuts down and "Power Saver Mode" pops up on my monitor. I have only experienced this problem in BF3, and it even happens on Low settings. Room temp is 72-74F, I have a ground-based room fan pointed at the computer, and a nearby window is letting in the winter breeze. The GPU idles at 42-47C, stays around 50-60C throughout the game, but when the explosions go off and it increases to just under 70C my whole computer just shuts down. This is all with GPU fans at 95%. Anybody have any idea on what could be going on here?

My ideas, that I still need to do:
1) Take the computer apart and try cleaning again
2) Possibly get an aftermarket cooler, but I have no idea what to do - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3) Go into BIOS and change the auto-shutdown temp to something slightly higher.

Could it be the PSU? I plan to get a 1050W between now and Christmas, to leave room for CrossFire.

Thanks for any help/tips!
November 25, 2011 3:33:17 PM

70-80C is perfectly fine, not sure why it switches to that mode.
m
l
November 25, 2011 3:46:07 PM

70C isnĀ“t overheating for a HD 6950, as already pointed out.

As for having your computer shutting down it could be due high temps or lack of power suply, however without knowing your config it is difficult to say.

A HD 6950 needs at least 500W, from a good manufacturer.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 4:15:25 PM

Intel Core i7 @ 2.8Ghz
6 gig RAM
XFX made AMD Radeon HD 6950, not overclocked due to this problem
Creative X-Fi Sound Blaster Titanium sound card

Current PSU is 600W stock in a CoolerMaster case. Mobo and CPU temps idle in low 40C's, CPU goes to 55C under load. That's what points to the GPU for me.

Think it would make sense to purchase/borrow a higher W PSU to try?
m
l
November 25, 2011 4:25:51 PM

Yes it would be worth it to try a better PSU.

Also, run GPUZ and check it's sensors after a bit of gaming. It's possible the VRM or even VRAM are getting really really hot. Your core temps are fine, but if the VRM or VRAM are going over 120C you'll have a problem.
m
l
November 25, 2011 5:21:54 PM

This is a picture of the final seconds of the GPU-Z sensor log.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/RRkiller/gpuz.j...

So, it went from 62C to Sun. This was in ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead on completely max settings, 3D resolution at 125%. Was playing for at least 5 minutes before it happened. Same exact crash as in BF3. If it were a memory thing, it would just crash the game right? Shouldn't be a memory thing though. Now I'm really thinking PSU.
m
l
November 25, 2011 5:41:45 PM

Wow. That's really fucked. There's got to be some crazy sensor errors or driver or even video-BIOS issue here.

This could potentially be a PSU issue, sending some wack voltage to the card and causing it to go haywire. I'd also look into any new BIOS versions for you GPU.

It's also a good idea to try a complete driver uninstallation and then run Driver Sweeper, and then reboot and install the latest drivers clean.
m
l
November 25, 2011 11:51:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Went ahead a bought the Corsair Enthusiastic Series 850W, trimmed it down a bit. I'll be sure to reply if it fixes this irritating issue. Thanks again!
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:47:22 PM

Sorry for bumping this really old thread, but KGrimes did you ever figure out what your issue was? Was it the power supply, or was it the VRM/VRAM getting too hot as wolfram suggested?

The reason I ask is because I suspect that I'm having a similar issue with my radeon 5870. The card crashes under load, but the core temps are perfectly fine within the 50-60c range like yours.

Thanks!
m
l
April 27, 2013 8:20:51 PM

Hey I'm glad I found this form even tho its old i have 2 of these cards cross fired and i have this shutdown problem too i thought it was because 1 of my case fans wasnt working. i replaced it and the problem seemed to go away. but my friend told me to run prime 95 to see if the crash would still happened. and of course it did. I was wondering if anyone would have any insite on the issue. 2 6950 cross fired. 1100 PSU. 3.4 cpu i7 liquid cooling. solid state main hard drive with 3t for storage.
m
l
!